1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 30, 2015 9:43 AM by heather.sling RSS

UNABLE TO LOCATE SLINGBOX

BachPatu

MOD / ADMIN / WHOMEVER THIS CONCERBNS - If this isn't the appropriate place for this, then please move this over to a more appropriate place

That out of the way, I'm trying to set up my BRAND SPANKIN' NEW Slingbox whereas I can watch my favorite cable channels wherever I am HOWEVER I can't even get to the setup process because of THIS barrier

slingbox-networklocationerrormessage.jpg

AS FAR AS I CAN TELL, the Slingbox IS on THE SAME WiFi network as my PC (I have it connected WIRELESSLY to my router) however since my Internet provider is COMCAST / XFINITY I have NO WAY of telling for sure since they have at least TWO OTHERS under DIFFERENT names (As a result, I have NO WAY of telling which one its connected to (IF it's connected AT ALL)

ARE THERE PORTS THAT HAVE TO BE OPENED UP IN THE ROUTER ???

MY TV is connected to the cable box via HDMI so the component cable jacks on the side of the TV ARE NOT in use

Connecting the Slingbox to my router via Ethernet is NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE as the two are NOWHERE NEAR one another

FEEDBACK - A WIZARD WITH A BETTER EQUIPPED & UPGRADED AUTO DETECTION FEATURE IS NEEDED HERE !!!

Ohh yeah BTW - This PC is running WINDOWS 10 !!!  is the PC app optimized for Windows 10 ???

I'm beginning to feel like I've just been ROBBED out of $150 for a POS device I CANNOT EVEN USE !!!

If I receive no help here, I AM TAKING THE BOX BACK & GETTING MY $$$ BACK !!!  I have NO TIME NOR PATIENCE for this **** !!!

DESPERATELY in need of help

Sincerely

BachPatu

• Re: UNABLE TO LOCATE SLINGBOX
          heather.sling Newbie

Hello BachPatu,

I can understand your frustration with having a brand new device and it not going as planned. Let's get this resolved! First, what Slingbox is it? You will want to make sure, if you are using a PC or Laptop for set up, that it is also on WiFi and the same Network that Slingbox is connected to.  How far away is the Router from the Slingbox?  It could be a distance issue. To test this theory, you will need to move the Slingbox to the same room as the router temporarily. You will only need the Slingbox and the power cord. Take it to the same room as the router, plug in its power and wait for it to load up. You will then need to bring up Slingplayer and start from scratch. Log out and log back in and see if the set-up process locates your Slingbox. If it does, we will know it is a  distance issue. If it does not we will have to continue troubleshooting from there. Calling into our support line would be a great benefit to you. Depending on where you purchased the Slingbox, we will need to establish a warranty status if you need to call in, It is a simple process of just sending us your proof of purchase. Once done we can log into your computer with you and literally go through the set up process for you and or determine what the issue is.  Our technical support phone number is listed under support on slingbox.com.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sling Media Support

Heather