3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2015 11:09 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Does a US slingbox 500 will work in Canada?

syberia
    Visibility: Open to anyone

There is already a similar question about that, which says that a US slingbox 500 will be electrically compatible in Canada. But will it really works? That is to say the list of TV/cable providers where I will choose my local provider  will include the complete list of  canadian TV/cable providers. In clear, what is the "real difference" between a canadian slingbox 500 (reference SB500-140) and a US slingbox 500 (reference SB500-100)? Thank you.

• Re: Does a US slingbox 500 will work in Canada?
          alanrichey42 Master

I don't think there is any difference at all, it is just a stock control thing.  As far as I know all 500s are identical.   The Channel lineup has nothing to do with the hardware, it is a software aspect and depends on whether Sling have signed a contract with the third-party who provides the information,

syberia

I agree wih you, but I just want to be sure that when I will plug it for the first time, after probably sofware upgrade, I will be asked the question: USA or Canada on the first screen with a slingbox 500 bought in USA.  Maybe if you own a US slingbox 500, at first time, do you remember if it asks you this question about your country?

alanrichey42 Master

Yes, originally just USA & Canada, then Japan was added, now the list is quite extensive as more countries are added (including the UK, where I am).   Like all media equipment these days the hardware is irrelevant, it is the firmware that controls everything and that gets updated regularly, so the first time you plug on the 500 it will update the firmware and then ask you the setup questions.