6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2010 2:56 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

New To Slingbox and have some questions....help!!

jackmoran

I just set up slingbox at home...and connected with my Frontier Wireless Router and everything seemed to work fine - only thing was that the picture was not in color.?  Have no idea why -  They got the remote working and it changed channels with no problem..I have it connected to Directv hr24.  When I tried to reconnect using the wireless router at home - the remote control was on the left, but could not get it to change channels.

When I tried to connect using my verizon wireless card - I received the error message OX8007274C...and I couldn't connect.  Anyone have any idea what is going on.  Thanks for the help.

• Re: New To Slingbox and have some questions....help!!
          eferz Expert

jackmoran wrote:

I just set up slingbox at home...and connected with my Frontier Wireless Router and everything seemed to work fine - only thing was that the picture was not in color.?  Have no idea why -  They got the remote working and it changed channels with no problem..I have it connected to Directv hr24.  When I tried to reconnect using the wireless router at home - the remote control was on the left, but could not get it to change channels.

I'm going to guess maybe that you're connecting it via S-Video?  Cause the most common symptom of that is that the cable isn't properly seated on either the Slingbox or the DirecTV connector.  As the pins within the S-Video cable seperate color from picture.

If not, I would recommend is connecting the corresponding outputs of the Slingbox to your TV.  The Slingbox can only rebroadcast what it sees and hears, so its a good idea to be able to observe exactly what it does.  This can be accomplished by connecting the outputs of the Slingbox to your TV.

eferz Expert

Sorry, almost forgot about this part.

jackmoran wrote:

When I tried to connect using my verizon wireless card - I received the error message OX8007274C...and I couldn't connect.  Anyone have any idea what is going on.  Thanks for the help.

Once you've setup the Slingbox for viewing locally, its the routers responsibility to allow remote viewing.  I recommend that check your router's firewall rules.  You'll need to make sure that that the corresponding public UDP and TCP ports and being forwarded to your Slingbox's private IP address.  Most of the time this problem is associated by only having the TCP port forwarded.

Sometimes, you have to deal with either the broadband provider or WiFi Hotspot either blocking the ports, throttling the bandwidth, or using them for their own nefarious purposes.  You can try to work around this by changing Slingbox's default service port of 5001 to something more common like port 80 (HTTP) or 443 (HTTPS).  If this is necessary, then you also need to change the port forwarding rules to match the new port number.

IP address and Port Number: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-005866.html
            Port Forwarding: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000068.html
            Network Setup Assistant: http://support.slingbox.com/get/network-assistant.html
            Manual Changes: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000126.html

jackmoran

Hi - thanks for the info - I'm not using S video connection I'm using component video cables.  When I get home tonight - I'm going to connect through my wireless router - then go into slingbox properties - and check the network settings and make sure remote viewing is checked - think that could be the problem?  Thanks for the help.

eferz Expert

jackmoran wrote:

Hi - thanks for the info - I'm not using S video connection I'm using component video cables. 

Ah, okay.  You still want to check those too.

jackmoran wrote:

When I get home tonight - I'm going to connect through my wireless router - then go into slingbox properties - and check the network settings and make sure remote viewing is checked - think that could be the problem?  Thanks for the help.

Yep, its possible.  But like I said earlier, once you have local viewing configured then remote viewing is actually facilitated by your router.

leecarter

Dear Sir, I want to thank you for trying to help me with my problem but for some reason the question you answer was not my problem. Let's start all over. I have my slingbox pro working just find but my remote is not changing channels. I'm using a COOLSAT 5000 FTA receiver, but what I think  I need is a code for my basic remote. I had it working for years but something must have change. The code I was using was S1554 or at least thisis what I through, also I tried 1024. When you get to be eighty years old, It becomes a senior thing. I need all the help I can get . Anyone that had or is having this problem please write me on my email. lry_carter@yahoo.com. THANKS IN ADVANCE. ROY.