6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2016 6:21 PM by ACC221945 RSS

AD-FREE Player available for Windows!!

Dave2SSRS Newbie

As we all know, Sling has lost their minds on adding all these ads into the players for their dying product line.

It appears Microsoft isn't onboard with their ad riddled player  nonsense and their Windows APP store version doesn't have any ads showing!  It is pretty awesome!

• Re: AD-FREE Player available for Windows!!
          ACC6453393 Newbie

I tried out the Windows app in metro UI, I think it's terrible. The guide is clunky and it won't stream at a high bit rate the quality is terrible. That said the standard desktop version is also clunky, freezes a lot especially on a multi-monitor setup and no ad free version. You should update your title, it's misleading as the main desktop version still hasn't been updated.

Dave2SSRS Newbie

I agree completely...  I am actually going to remove this post as Sling just annouced ad-free players across the board for those of us who paid for it in the past.

ACC6453393 Newbie

Where did you see this? I have no problem with an ad supported type business model, again all these apps for all the different platforms I'm sure is very expensive to update and maintain. That said, what makes me mad is the option not to pay and opt out. Where did you read that? I did buy the in app purchase on ios for no ads and guess what, it works very well. $15 well spent but this should be applied to desktop player as well.

surge3

LOL, the only thing this is going to do is encourage people to pirate the player.  You can not force someone to watch ads after they have paid over 100 dollars, just to use the product.  That is unreal.  Someone needs to get back at sling for this -- they need to get what's coming to them.

bobg8zwf Newbie

It doesn't hack it for me. The "ad-free" player in windoze store does not work with red slingbox, even though it shows up in the list of available devices, neither does it work with EchoStar HDS-600RS (which does not show up in the list of available devices).

Also, I see that a very large number of files, folders and sub-folders are created after installing the program. I am not sure how much of this **** is Bill Gates's store pushing things onto the pc, or how much is Sling's ****. Removing everything with file and registry cleaners.

But either way, I'll stick with the original desktop apps, together with adblocker. At least all my boxes work fine with these - without ads. I have no intention to purchase any other sling products in the future.