9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2010 1:27 PM by 030377 RSS

Watching 2 channels with PRO-HD

michaelc91

I am trying to set up my PRO HD so I can watch one channel remotely on my PC while my family at home watches whatever they want.  I understand the PRO has its own tuner, so this should be theoretically possible, but I can't seem to get it set up to do that.   I have coax going from the wall to the Direct TV box, and then the component cables connecting the PRO to the Direct TV box.. Would I need some sort of splitter to connect the Coax cable from the wall to BOTH the Slingbox and the Direct TV box?

Thanks

• Re: Watching 2 channels with PRO-HD
          eferz Expert

Yes

Ripoff

I have had the same problem. The Pro HD doesn't work.

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

It works.  You just have to know how to hook it up.

rod777

So how do you hook it up to be able to watch on the pc without interrupting the family at home?

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Use a splitter on your coax to send one signal to your cable box and one signal to your Slingbox.  You could then send the cable box signal to the tv and to the Slingbox using component cables.  That way, you will have two sources for your computer.  One will be your basic cable signal via coax and the other will be your cable box.  You can watch the coax signal while your family watches the cable box signal.  There may be other ways to do it. For instance, if your Slingbox has a passthrough coax , you can simply go from the wall to the Slingbox to the cablebox, then back to the Slingbox with component cables.  I don't have the Pro-HD and have never seen one, so I'm making some assumptions here.

songson72

Unless you have a set top box (Cable/Dish/DirecTv) that has two outputs capable of sending two different signals then I don't think it's possible. The set top box is usually required to "decrypt" the signal so you can't go from the wall straight to the Slingbox which means a splitter would be useless. I just bought the Pro-HD and have been trying to do the same thing...watch a recorded program remotely while the home TV watches something different and I honestly don't think it's possible. When I use the remote on my laptop it still sends the signal to the DirecTv DVR at home to do what I'm asking it to do. It looks like I'll be checking with DirecTv on how much my bill would go up to add another DVR or simply take the Pro-HD back and save the $100 by getting the regular Slingbox.   

Yeah, the splitter didn't seem to work for me.

djspenser

I just got my HD-Pro yesterday and I'm trying to figure it all out.  So far it DOES work on my PC and on my Droid X, so I can't complain about that.  Now to figure out watching separate things remotely.  If you run the coax from the wall to the Slingbox, and coax out from the Slingbox to the cable box (I'm assuming a connection from the cable box to a TV or A/V receiver), wouldn't selecting channels on the Slingbox internal tuner show you everything except encrypted channels?  I know, someone is gonna want to watch their HBO remotely while someone at home wants to watch CineMax,  but it doesn't look like that's going to work.  But if one can live without the encrypted channels remotely, but from a purely technical perspective wouldn't this work?

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Exactly.  To watch two different premium channels at the same time, you would need two different cable boxes.  I'm actually thinking about renting a separate cable box for my Slingbox so I can watch anything I want on my Slingbox while the wife watches whatever she wants on the tv.  Or, I could watch one football game on tv and another on my Slingbox.  I have a Slingbox Solo.