31 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2016 3:36 AM by rhea98 RSS

Need Help w Comcast X1 Virtual Remote!!

jtmpsu96

There are two MAJOR issues with Comcast X1 virtual remote on Slingbox which renders it virtually useless!! 

1.) POWER ON/OFF:  The power button does not power the x1 cable box on and off when pressed! Thus once you are connected to the Slingbox application there is no way to obtain a video signal to send to your desktop, laptop, or mobile device.

2.) CHANNEL CHANGE:  The virtual remote also does not include an "OK" button.  Therefore when manually entering a channel or even selecting a channel from the guide there is no way to tell the cable box to finish the transaction and actually tune the channel.

Please advise ASAP on when these will be fixed!!

Thanks.

• Re: Need Help w Comcast X1 Virtual Remote!!
          evan.sling Novice

Hi GMP 99!

The Comcast X1 virtual remote should have everything you need to control the cable box, including some kind of OK button, and a power button.  I saw this virtual remote working fine the other day.

Try the process you find in this article.  This will help you reconfigure the virtual remote, and make sure you have the Xi remote programmed in the Slingbox:

Hope this helps!

-Evan

jtmpsu96

Evan,

Thx for your response. I've set the Slingbox up to use the X1 virtual remote.  I'm also using the Gang Hu HDMI to Component converter which your company has recommended for use with the X1.  This setup works flawlessly when watching TV at home and also when viewing using the Slingbox desktop program (watch.slingbox.com).  The signal is converted properly and I can watch TV and use the virtual remote to change channels without issue.

HOWEVER...when attempting to watch TV using the Slingbox IOS app for both iPhone and iPad I receive and error for "Weak or No Video".  When I turn on my TV manually (the x1 box is always on) and then access the Slingbox app, I am able to watch TV via the app.  Not sure why my TV needs to be turned on in order for this to work.  I should not have to leave my TV on in order to watch TV via my Slingbox app.

ALSO...the Slingbox app does not have the same User Interface as the Desktop program.  There is no virtual image of the x1 remote which can be used to control the cable box.  Instead the app displays its own buttons and icons for controlling the x1 box.  Where it fails is that these buttons do not include an "OK" button which is used to tell the cable box to tune the channel once the channel number has been entered.

As a result my Slingbox is virtually useless as I mainly use Slingbox to watch TV on my mobile devices, not on my desktop/laptop.  Can you please advise?  Thx again for your help!

rhea98 Newbie

I assume you are trying to watch TV on your computer?? Just want to make sure you're not using Chrome browser. Even though it's supposed to be supported, I just saw that the Chrome browser does not have an On/Off control. It does have an icon (labeled D pad, I think) that has the "ok" button. The virtual remote is actually a task bar set of controls. When I change to IE emulations, the virtual remote that looks like a remote (the X5 remote) is available. I know there are several types of boxes our for the X1 system. IF you've tried these suggestions already, then it may require another box choice? I can only share my experience with our X1. I have my Slingbox connected to our Xi3 companion box rather than the Pace DVR box, but I would use the same set-up as the DVR uses the X11 remote.

The other thing I had to do when I set up my Slingbox with my new X1 system was to choose Comcast X1 in the list of boxes, not a specific type of box (like Pace or Motorola).

Also, a heads up to Slingbox technical, when I tried to view TV in Edge (IE replacement), I received a message telling me it wasn't supported.

EDIT: As I backed out of the IE extension tab and went back to Chrome tab, the remote (an other icons showed up). I disconnected and reconnected in Chrome and no remote--or any other icon in upper right corner. Is the ad blocking them? Then my computer rebooted (not blaming SB here) and when it came back, it all worked. The ad was to the right of the live TV screen and all icons are available.

jtmpsu96

Hello all!  I setup my Slingbox Account with the Comcast X1 virtual remote.  When I go to use my Slingbox App on IOS the virtual remote does not turn on / off my cable box thus I am unable to watch TV using the app.  Also, even if I was to manually power on the X1 box and then use the Slingbox app I am still unable to change channels using the virtual remote as there's no "Ok" button on it to tell the cable box to tune the channel.  It simply displays the numbers I enter in a search box.

jtmpsu96

Thx.  I'm actually having the issue using the mobile app not the desktop/laptop version of Slingbox.  When using the Slingbox App on IOS the User Interface is different than when viewing Slingbox on a laptop or desktop pc.  There is no virtual recreation of the X1 remote on the app.  Instead there are icons and also transparent buttons fwhich try to recreate some of the functionality found on the x1 remote.  I believe this could be part of the issue.

The other part of the issue in order to view X1 content via Slingbox you need an HDMI to Component converter.  I am using the one from Gang-Hu. When I go to the Slingbox app and select Connect, it looks like it connects but then I get an error message for weak signal (I assume from the cable box).  However when my TV is turned on manually along with the x1 box, the Slingbox app seems to work and I can watch TV.  But only if they are turned on first.

jtmpsu96

Regarding the HDMI to Component converter  I am using the Gang-Hu converter which Slingbox has recommended.  It works flawlessly when watching programming from the x1 box at home on my TV.  It also seems to work when using the IOS App so long as my TV is on.  However I don't want to have to leave my TV on while I'm away just so I can watch my Slingbox on my iPhone and iPad.

As far as the User Interface for the Slingbox App, it most certainly does not have an "Ok" button that the real x1 remote has which tells the cable box to tune the channel after the channel number is entered. 

betsylandon

My Xfinity X1 Voice cable box (Model: Pace PXD01ANI) is connected to the Gang Hu converter box (component and HDMI) and the Slingbox 500.

I chose the Xfinity X1 virtual remote in the Slingbox setup.

I can connect to the Slingbox online and Watch only the channel that is on. The virtual remote is not working.

I tried one of the Pace remote models, but it didn't work either.

Which remote model should I choose?

rhea98 Newbie

Does the virtual remote match your actual remote that's used on the TV attached to your slingbox?  I don't think the voice remote is available virtually,  but it's non-voice counterpart is.

betsylandon

No, they don't look the same. When will you support it?

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 4:58 AM, rhea98<answers@slingmedia.com> wrote:  

Need Help w Comcast X1 Virtual Remote!!

reply from rhea98 in On-screen remote control - View the full discussion

Does the virtual remote match your actual remote that's used on the TV attached to your slingbox?  I don't think the voice remote is available virtually,  but it's non-voice counterpart is.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in On-screen remote control by email or at Slingbox Answers Forum

Following Need Help w Comcast X1 Virtual Remote!! in these streams: Inbox

betsylandon

The Pace PXD01ANI XiD-P Cable Box is compatible with the Xfinity X1 virtual remote after all. I put the pyramid shaped transmitter that attaches to the Slingbox in front of the cable box and I can now use the virtual remote.