23 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2015 5:49 PM by Brandon.Sling RSS

The $15 app we purchased is about to become obsolete Oct 1st...

zhartpe

But not to worry! We get access to the free Slingplayer app that forces ADs DOWN OUR THROAT!

(BTW I paid $15 for iPhone, $15 for iPad, $15 for Android)

Thanks Sling!

Let me guess there will be an in app purchase to remove the ads pretty soon, for say $15....

• Re: The $15 app we purchased is about to become obsolete Oct 1st...
          scorpiontwon

Same here. I've bought iOS phone, iOS iPad and android version. That's a lot of money. Now we have to use a free version and pay over $16 to get rid of ads.

We should get the app without ads after October 1, 2015 for the people who bought the app!!!

dagold

Same for me. This is just wrong and not fair.

willfuhrman

I completely agree. I understand slowly dropping support for older equipment but throwing ads in on top of the money we all spent for the equipment and apps already is a bit crazy especially considering it seems to be a direct connection with little to no server use on their part.

OvCollyer Apprentice

What is your source for this information?

They might be able to get away with introducing ads into the free web player but surely they would be treading into all sorts of dodgy legal ground if they were to introduce ads into a previously-paid-for app?

trulow

They better give us a good reason why they are dropping support for our current app. It's not that hard for them to keep the current app up to date. I see that a lot of other smaller developers are able to keep a free and paid version of the same app updated consistently so why cannot sling? If we have to drop our current app, they should allow current owners a way to migrate over to the new one ad free. This is a software upgrade and not a hardware upgrade. Copy the source code of the new app and paste it to the older app repo and commit. It's not that hard. This is only a way to make money off of people who already paid for the old app. A simple cash grab.

Also: What stops them from doing this again a few years from now?

OvCollyer Apprentice

Hmm. It depends what is meant by "no longer being supported".

If this means that any new features or improvements will only be in the free version then that is one thing. Not ideal, but I understand the principle that when we paid for the app we can't reasonably expect it to be updated with new features forever.

But if they are actually going to prevent the app I have paid for from connecting to my Slingbox in order to force me to download the free one and be exposed to the ads then that is another one entirely and they'll likely run into big trouble.

I am suspicious that the latter is what will happen because in the description for the old player it only talks about being able to connect to Slingbox Solo and Pro-HD whereas the description for the free player mentions the 350, 500, M1 and M2.

ekbsrk Newbie

I dont necessarily agree. Its not right to create a duplicate app with the same functionality as the first and charge customers again to obtain that same functionality. I already paid for ad-free viewing. If you dont want to continue to support the app, fine. I agree we cant expect it to be updated forever. But that doesnt mean that you stop updating one to create another with the exact same functionality. Thats just ridiculous. Hopefully Apple sees this the same way, and can issue refunds.

renevatio

I just reached out to Apply directly. I refuse to pay $29.95 to contact Sling directly. I have had great experiences in the past when dealing with the Apple iTunes support and I will report back with an update.

I told Apple that in 2010 I purchased the iPhone app for $29.99 and the iPad app in 2013 for $14.99 and that Sling Media is obviously releasing a "free" app with in-app purchases to be able to double-charge existing customers for the SAME apps. Apple usually doesn't deal nicely with companies who try to game the iTunes system so I am hoping that if enough of us contact them, they will come down hard on Sling. The sling boxes are expensive, the apps were expensive historically, and the apps have pretty terrible user experiences (low res graphics, custom/clunky keyboards, etc), they charge you $29.95 to contact support, and yet they are STILL trying to milk more money from their customers.

I hope Apple can make this right for us.

Rabbit24

Yes this is Crazy. I tried to reach out to an old sling support e-mail but got a email that they don't do e-mail support so now I reached out to Echostar the parent company. And will be reaching out to them about this via Twitter, Facebook, Any Means of social Media to get a resolution for this matter. and If I get no response will reach out to Apple and see what they say about this issue. I have the Sling 500 But it's out of warranty started with the Sling A/V then the Pro-HD long time customer and now they just want more money.

This is nuts and hopefully will get an answer back from them about this issue.

drhenning53 Newbie

I was wondering the same thing..  We all had to buy the apps for our phones and tablets..  And it's worked..  The question is since I have a Solo unit that works just fine is whether it matters...

OvCollyer Apprentice

I think we need some clarification from Sling Media here.

Sling Media - can you confirm that people who have purchased the original Slingplayer for mobile/tablet will be migrated to the premium version of the apparently identical new Slingplayer for mobile/tablet?

If not, on what basis are you expecting people to pay again for exactly the same app and what do you think is going to be the outcome of treating all your existing mobile customers in this manner?

Brandon.Sling Apprentice

So, what we said yesterday about not supporting your paid version of Slingplayer after October 1? We realized that we could make things easier for everyone by just leaving things as they are, so the paid app will continue to be available and you don't need to download the new, free Slingplayer app if you don’t want to.

But you should still download the new free app after October 1! It has great new features you don’t want to miss, and you’ll still have an ad-free experience. (As long as you download the free app from the same app store account you used to buy the original Slingplayer app)