6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2010 3:48 PM by eferz RSS

Install Slingbox outside of U.S.

chenghsien

Hi,

#1. Is Slingbox Classic support i-Phone (or Android) ?

#2. If I buy a Slingbox Solo in U.S. Can I install the box in Taiwan? I thought it should support. Have anyone done that?

Thanks.

• Re: Install Slingbox outside of U.S.
          alanrichey42 Master

I can't answer #1 for certain but I think it works OK but Sling have not guaranteed it will continue.

For #2, you can install a US Slingbox anyhere in the world, the only problems will be the power plug (Although make sure the power adaptor takes 110-240V) and you might find your A/V device is not in the supported list.  If that is the case just pop a request on this forum and I will try and build a Custom Remote for you.

ACC27016

Aside from the plug...i think the other issue is if the slingbox itself is PAL or NTSC version. If you hook it up to a set top box your fine.

alanrichey42 Master

True, but he was talking about a Slingbox Solo so the PAL/NTSC is not an issue.

chenghsien

Thank you for the answers. Two more questions:

#1. Does Slingbox Solo allows both local and remote sites watch shows at same time?

#2. Can both local and remote watch differnt channels at same time?

#3. Is any other modle allow to watch different channels at same time?

Thanks.

alanrichey42 Master

chenghsien wrote:

Thank you for the answers. Two more questions:

#1. Does Slingbox Solo allows both local and remote sites watch shows at same time?

Thanks.

No, No & No.   Although the Pro & Pro-HD models have a built-in tuner so you can watch a different channel to the one the person at the actual location is watching.

Just think of a Slingbox Solo as a dumb monitor and a Slingbox Pro as a TV, both of which send their output down the Internet instead of to an LCD/Plasma screen.   Then ask the questions again and you will see the answer

eferz Expert

chenghsien wrote:

Yes, but you'll have to watch the same content.  This is enabled by connecting the set-top box into the Slingbox's inputs, then connecting the television with corresponding output from the Slingbox.

Only if you're watching from different video sources, like if the person remotely is watching the satellite receiver and the person locally is watching a Blu-Ray Disc.  When you put a Slingbox in between the TV and Set-top box, it can only rebroadcast whatever it "sees" and "hears".

Yes, the Slingbox Pro and Pro-HD come with an internal tuner.  The Pro has an analog tuner, so the available content might be limited or near none depending on your television service provider.  The Slingbox Pro-HD has a hybrid analog / digital tuner that supports ATSC OTA and clear QAM signals.  If you split the connection between your set-top box into the COAX input of the Slingbox Pro(-HD), then it can't affect what is being displayed on the television.  However, you should contact your television service provider to see what type of channels you can receive.