5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2010 8:47 AM by mnc2run RSS

High bandwidth, low picture quality problem

trh98

Hi all, I had a question regarding the expected picture quality from the Slingplayer 2.0 software for Windows (the same applies to the web app, as I have tried both).  I have a Slingbox SOLO connected to a Directv HD DVR via component cables.

I have about 2500 Kbps upload at my home and, when I connect from outside the home, I average about 2000 Kbps when viewing the Slingbox (according to the little bandwidth meter on the lower right of the software).  I would think that 2000 Kbps would display a pretty good picture but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  The picture quality is similar to a very bad YouTube video.  I would think it should look similar to a high quality YouTube video (or better?) with a good connection.  It's the same quality on both the desktop software as well as the web app.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?  I have updated the software and the Slingbox.  Do I just have an 'older' Slingbox that doesn't allow good quality streaming?  Are there some tweaks in the software I can do?  I have the encoding settings in the software set to "automatic" and the video settings are grayed out so I can't change them (the boxes that are checked are "When available use..." and "Use VMR9 if....").

• Re: High bandwidth, low picture quality problem
          eferz Expert

trh98 wrote:

The picture quality is similar to a very bad YouTube video.  I would think it should look similar to a high quality YouTube video (or better?) with a good connection.  It's the same quality on both the desktop software as well as the web app.

You shouldn't compare a pre-encoded stream from YouTune with the  Slingbox's output.  The Slingbox is transcoding the baseband audio/video  signals live while broadcasting, so the quality isn't going to be  same under the same conditions.  In order to do this the Slingbox has to employ certain compression  techniques which could affect the quality.  Especially, if you're  viewing it from a remote location.

trh98 wrote:

Is there something I'm doing wrong?  I have updated the software and the Slingbox.  Do I just have an 'older' Slingbox that doesn't allow good quality streaming?  Are there some tweaks in the software I can do?  I have the encoding settings in the software set to "automatic" and the video settings are grayed out so I can't change them (the boxes that are checked are "When available use..." and "Use VMR9 if....").

I don't believe you're doing anything wrong, but you just maybe limited to the viewing experience under your specific conditions.  Like sustained upload speeds, latency between the two end points, and hardware performance.  These results of these conditions is what the Slingplayer uses to dynamically adjust the stream to give you the best possible picture under your current conditions.

If you would like to see the stream statistics, you can press [Alt]+[Shift]+[i] with the Slingplayer Desktop for Windows, or hold down [Ctrl] and click on the video stream with Web Slingplayer for Internet Explorer and Firefox for the PC, or hold down [Option] then selecting View | Show Statistics

At this point, I'm not exactly sure if you're expecting better quality than what the Slingbox can do, or if the Slingbox isn't performing up to par to your circumstances, or if you need to make a few tweaks in the Slingplayer.  Probably, the best bet is to record a couple of minutes of your viewing symptoms with the Streaming Statistics shown.  That way we can have a better idea of what's going on.

You can try using mReplay broadcast (http://www.mreplay.com/broadcast) to record what you're seeing on your desktop and then upload it to youtube or some other video site, so we can see what's going happening.

trh98

I was only comparing Slingbox to YouTube on video quality only.  I know that the Slingbox is operating under completely different circumstances.  I was just comparing picture quality, trying to give everyone a sense of what I'm looking at.

On that note, I guess this is a question that might solve my issue:  Will the Slingbox SOLO, under very good conditions (high end gaming PC, constant stream that averages between 1800-2200Kbps but never drops below 1700Kbps, low latency, component video connection receiving 720p, etc.) have video quality similar to standard videos on Hulu? Not their 480p videos, not their HD videos, just their standard 360p videos.

Now, I am not comparing the technicial aspects of Hulu and a Slingbox.  I know Hulu is a completely different apple, technically, than a Slingbox.  I am merely talking about the picture quality.  Under very good conditions, would the Slingbox SOLO come close to Hulu 360p video quality?

If it doesn't, then maybe I am over-estimating the capabilities of my Slingbox SOLO.  If it does, then I can look more closely at the streaming statistics and figure out why the picture quality of mine isn't up to par.

Also, FYI, I have tried Slingbox desktop of several computers with varying hardware.  All computers display the exact same picture quality, even a gaming PC that should be far superior to what Slingbox requires.

Thanks for the help!

eferz Expert

trh98 wrote:

Now, I am not comparing the technicial aspects of Hulu and a Slingbox.  I know Hulu is a completely different apple, technically, than a Slingbox.  I am merely talking about the picture quality.  Under very good conditions, would the Slingbox SOLO come close to Hulu 360p video quality?

Locally, definatly.  Over the internet... I can't say for sure.  Maybe?  Although, it has been a while since I've connected remotely to my Slingbox Pro-HD with anything other than my iPhone.  The iPhone's mobile client forces a maximum encoding resolution of 320x240 from the Slingbox.  That's not a good comparison.  The Slingbox Solo has a maxium encoding resolution of 640x480, however, that's one of the stats that will dynamically change while you stream.

trh98

Thanks for the quick response.  It seems I may just be wishful-thinking about the quality of the Slingbox over the net.  I was thinking it would be good quality with such a high bandwidth stream but it sounds as though it would require over 3000Kbps or it just isn't possible with the SOLO.

I was thinking about upgrading to the Pro-HD, I'm assuming it would stream better video quality as it actually streams HD (this is all assuming the factors are the same)?

mnc2run

I have the same situation; however when I first received my Slingbox Pro the quality of the picture was significantly better then what I get today on both the web and player.  My picture seems to have color issues as well as a ghost view.