6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2010 6:56 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Slingbox but no receiver connection

zetor12

I have a Slingbox Solo and want to connect it to the cable in the apartment, the problem is the cable tv comes out a co-axil socket and straight into the tv, there is no cable box, can the Slingbox still be connected via the  scart on the back of the TV? If it could would this mean the tv would have to be left on all the time? Any help much apreciated.

• Re: Slingbox but no receiver connection
          alanrichey42 Master

Yes and yes the TV would probably have to be left on.   Although it  might be worth checking if the 'Output' SCART is active while the set is  in standby.

The way people normally get around this problem (apart from buying a Slingprox Pro) is to buy a cheap DVR/VCR (or anything with a built-in TV tuner and a composite (Red/Yellow/White RCA) output), and then split the incoming cable between the TV and the new device.  Then take the output of the device to the Slingbox.  That way you can actually watch one channel while someone else watches another on the TV.

zetor12

Thanks for the advice, I do have a vcr that would solve the problem, I won't be able to try it for a week but looks like it should work.

zetor12

I did just wonder about the connection from the cable outlet socket and the vcr,you mention splitting the incoming cable, I guess I would need to plug the incoming cable into the vcr RF In socket and then from the vcr RF out take a lead to the tv RF in? I was presuming that it isn't possible to leave the incoming cable in the tv and take a scart from the tv to the vcr?

alanrichey42 Master

zetor12 wrote:

I did just wonder about the connection from the cable outlet socket and the vcr,you mention splitting the incoming cable, I guess I would need to plug the incoming cable into the vcr RF In socket and then from the vcr RF out take a lead to the tv RF in? I was presuming that it isn't possible to leave the incoming cable in the tv and take a scart from the tv to the vcr?

You could do it either way.   Taking the cable to the 'RF in' on the VCR and then from the 'RF out' on the VCR to the 'RF in' on the TV, or just buy a cable splitter so both get their RF signal direct from the wall.

Not sure why you want to take the SCART from the TV to the VCR Composite input?   Doesn't make any sense to me.  It defeats the object of having the VCR as you might as well take the SCART output directly to the Slingbox.  And as we already have agreed that limits you to the channel on the TV and you have to leave the TV on all the time.   Remember the SCART output is NOT the RF dignal, it is an RGB version of what is showing on the TV.