16 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2011 7:31 PM by ACC697549 RSS

Can't install or uninstall

psinc

In attempting to solve the problem posted here: https://community.sling.com/message/11083I came across a possible solution of uninstalling SlingPlayer 2.0 and trying to update via 1.5. It seems that during the process of uninstalling 2.0 an error occurred and I'm now unable to reinstall the software.

When trying to reinstall I'm only given the options to modify or remove the software and when I select either of those I'm given Error 1605:"This action is only valid for products that are currently installed". It also seems that the previous installation still exists in Add/Remove Programs in the Windows control panel, however if I try to modify or remove the entry I'm given Error 1628: Failed to complete installation. Now, if I try to install the software a message pops up saying "SlingPlayer is already installed in some other language, if you want to change the language of installation please uninstall the current installation and install in the new language".

I've searched Google extensively for solutions on errors 1605 and 1628, but none of the solutions provided have helped to solve my problem.

Any other suggestions anyone can provide so I can get the software installed and running again?

• Re: Can't install or uninstall
          eferz Expert

Here  we go, this article should relate to your problem (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.08.utilityspotlight.aspx)

uninstall.jpg

Lyod

I have the same problem, tried everything.  I'm leary of installing 2.0 on another computer then copying the folder.  What's to say I wont have the same issue on the other computer ?

eferz Expert

The problem has to do with the installshield process of the operating system.  Basically, what's happeningis that it missed a piece during the last removal.  The installer still recognizes that piece of software left over.

I've been able to uninstall and reinstall different versions of the Slingplayer client on all my computers and have never seen this happen.  While I can't say it won't happen to you another computer, I believe the chances would be quite rare.

P.s., you might want to reconsider the word "everything", as I believe this still applies under its definition.

psinc

So this may or may not be related, but I copied the folder over from another computer as suggested and now the Slingplayer seems to constantly be "downloading updates..." while streaming. Unfortunately it seems that this is causing my stream to lag and stutter quite a bit.

I've looked around quite a bit but haven't found anything related to this. Any suggestions?

eferz Expert

Can you elaborate more?

psinc

I sure can try and I'll attach an image to hopefully aid in your understanding.

In the image, the black bar at the bottom that has text reading "Optimizing..." often switches between a number of different messages (which I'm aware is normal). However, since I've had the trouble reinstalling and went the route of copying over the folder from another computer that bar now quite often reads "Downloading Updates" and has since I copied the folder over.

Though nothing network related has changed, the stream now seems to stutter a lot and the remote control is often very slow to respond. Unfortunately, the only information that describes a similar situation (https://community.sling.com/message/2421#2421) seems to have been resolved after the update finished downloading.

Also, both the Slingplayer software and Slingbox firmware are updated to the most recent versions.

If I anything else isn't clear please let me know and I'll be happy to answer any more questions you might have.

eferz Expert

Strange, I've only seen the messages once the login process is complete "Optimizing..." and "Streaming..."  What version are you running?  The Help | About SlingPlayer says I'm using 2.0.4.521 and Help | About Slingbox says 1.4.60 for my Slingbox Pro-HD.

Also, do you still have the same symptoms on the Web Slingplayer?

psinc

As an update to my original problem:

I was growing frustrated with the constant stuttering and lagging that I'd been experiencing so on a whim I downloaded CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner) and ran the registry cleanup. And voila, I was able to install Slingplayer with problems whatsoever.

I've yet to test whether the full, clean installation fixed my stutter and lag I'd experienced but I will update with my findings when I'm able to test things.

psinc

An update to my update:

During the short time (around an hour) I've had to test things, my bitrate problems seem to have decreased significantly with only minor hiccups occurring during the time I've been watching.

DerseMilw

I have the exact same issue and have been working on fixing this since May 4th ... BTW ... the same day ooodles of us had issues with the change to the Comcast remote skin.  Aaaargh!!!!   I've had my Slingbox Classic since they first arrived on the market and was even a beta tester.  I made the mistake of thinking the remote thing called for a removal an re-install and now I get both the 1605 and 1628 messages.  I'm going crazy ... this is my upstairs and remote TV!  I went back to a previous version of the player (1.5) just to get my skin back but now have the stuttering and freezing issues (which I did not have before.  There's got to be a solution for this.  Finally, I too have used removal tools and cleaners to no avail.  It simply will not uninstall!

ACC697549

Not sure if anyone is still running into this issue however. 

I ended up finding the installer in C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{3D08333C-C366-425D-8C2D-D05630D68A46}\

Once I deleted this folder it seemed to allow me to install again even though I ran into the same issue again with unable to register SlingSDK.