10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2015 11:17 AM by rhea98 RSS

Slingbox 350 and X1(Xfinity) RGN150 cable set-top box

RuthandChris
    Visibility: Open to anyone

This is more of a statement than a question. I recently was coerced by comcast to upgrade my system to X1 to save money on my triple play package. The issue is not that my Slingbox 350 cannot produce a video connection, it is that I am unable to change channels within the desktop slingbox app. And that is dissappointing! I went into the settings (using internet explorer 11 and not google chrome) and attempted to reconfigure the settings to adapt to the Comcast supplied RGN150 set top box. Although the box shows up in the on-screen configuration and one of the choices, the end result defaults back to the older comcast remote control (from the replaced set-top box) and by no surprise does not change the channels. Thank goodness I was able to download the Xfinity remote app to my Iphone (android available as well) so I can use my slingbox while I am away. Otherwise, I would have been stuck with a usless slingbox and would have most likely put it up for sale on Ebay. MESSAGE TO SLINGBOX: I am sure you are feverishly working to build a supporting app for the X1 Xfinity systems, but as of today (8/29/15) Any X1 customer should be aware that the Slingbox desktop viewing app for your PC will not operate with it's on screen remote control. This needs to be addressed!

• Re: Slingbox 350 and X1(Xfinity) RGN150 cable set-top box
          alanrichey42 Master

I'm afraid that doesn't actually make sense.   When you download a remote it goes into the Slingbox and is therefore stored centrally and not in any of the viewing platforms.  Therefore the iPhone, Android and PC use the same remote and the same IR codes are transmitted by the Slingbox.   So there must be another explanation as to why your Desktop doesn't work, and it isn't down to Sling, it is something specific to your setup.  Unfortunately I have never heard of this happening before so can't give you a quick answer.

ACC6446367

I am having the same issue.  I cannot change the channels on my slingplayer app on my driod. I press the show on my on screen app. The numbers appear on the TV, but do not change the channel.

alanrichey42 Master

Ah OK.  That puts a different spin on it.  I had assumed that Chris's problem was that the remote did not work at all, which does not make sense.   Re-reading it I see that he might be saying it is just the channel changing that doesn't work.    In that case I will hazard a guess neither of you did a Forum search before posting ?    The subject if channel changing and the X1 has probably generated more postings on this forum then any other subject apart from HDCP.  

I can't remember the solution but do a search and you will probably find it.

RuthandChris

How about posting a reply when you actually have an answer. If Slingbox is incompatible to the Xfinity X1 System then maybe it is the responsibility of Slingbox to make it compatible or define it that it is in fact "Incompatible".  This is very frustrating that a Slingbox representative has not replied to this post. I am ready to take this information to TWITTER and see if I get a reply.

rhea98 Newbie

I just went through this process. Maybe this will help. The main difference seems to be X1 hardware.  I mention this because it appears (based on Comcast X1 forums and my own experience) that you can get newer equipment for free--I don't know about shipping costs if you don't have a service center nearby, and I don't know if a new box will create the connection mismatch I encountered. I switched our Scientific Atlantic HD boxes to Pace PX10xxx series DVR (103ANC, TBS) and the Xi3 companion box. Rather than trying to acquire another box with component output (or buying a 500 box), I ordered a converter which you don't seem to need---yet. After several forced Slingbox resets, the connection from the Xi3 companion worked. I changed my source (I used Comcast X1 under boxes rather than Pace) to get the X5 remote (we have one X5 and one X11-voice). I tried changing the channel by using direct numeral input, and it also worked to locate the channel on the virtual remote; press the "OK" button, the channel changes. In fact, everything I've tried seems to work.

The last test was from my Nexus 9 because that's one of the devices I'll be using to access my Slingbox from overseas. Everything works----ATM.

RuthandChris

Thank you for your thorough post. My Slingbox 350 is currently connected with to the RGN150 set top box I received just last month so it is the most current box available from Xfinity. I just want to watch live TV (local news, local sports) when I go out of town. Live TV that Xfinity TVgo will not allow. I don't need to watch any DVR videos seeing most everything I can view through Xfinity's online ONDEMAND service. I would like it if I can just go to a relatives computer and view, let's say.. Chicago Bears football broadcast. I can log into Slinbox.com and watch my Slingbox but I am unable to change the channels through the computer interface. I am able to change channels using the Xfinity downloaded app, but if that is the way I care to use this application, I would not have created this post. So, do not confuse anything I posted with using the slingbox app on an Iphone or Android. That is not the topic. I just would like to change channels through the computer application without the use of some other 3rd party application. I will try your suggestions. Thank you for your reply.

rhea98 Newbie

I hear you and feel your frustration.  I'm new to the X1 system and it's equipment.  I've been reading like crazy to gather as much info as possible and thought I had seen reference to RGN 150 as one model of companion box (you clearly stated set top box). You have either Pace or Samsung non-DVR box and probably X2 remote?  Sorry to have muddled things up. I'm glad my converter worked as I'm glad to have avoided this issue by exchanging boxes.  Maybe changing virtual remotes will help. Before X1,  I had to use a remote different from our actual remote. Good luck.

RuthandChris

I have tried to work with this last night. Though I was able to bring up the X5 remote in the setup I still am unable to change the channel. The remote I have is listed as an X5 v.4, model. Another problem I have is that I paired the remote I have with the IR receiver (XR8) that came with the cable boxes. This apparatus is supposed to be use if you decide to hide the cable box in a cabinet out of view so the remote will still work. Not sure how to unpair the device from the remote now. Need to work on that after work this evening. Thank you again.

RuthandChris

Still unable to change channels through the PC app. There is one thing I failed to mention regarding my setup. I have two of the same RGN150 Set-top boxes on two different TVs. I am uncertain if this could be part of the problem. I'd sure like to know. Thank you for any help.

rhea98 Newbie

Honestly,  I couldn't say with any authority.  It seems it wouldn't matter as only the device connected to the slingbox should be controlled.  We have a dvr and a companion box (to which sb 350 is connected). Only that TV/box accepts sb commands.  I just came across an issue of no dvr available on our i-devices.  I read that was a limitation with the iphone app,  but I can't access the dvr programs from ipad mini 2 (with the paid app).  The iphone app seems to have issues changing channels.  It may be me,  though, with that.  Fortunately for us,  both Android devices work although a gamer would probably have an easier time with the phone remote controls than I do.  The tablet shows the actual remote.

I may have missed this,  but when you configured your box at sb site,  did you choose your specific device under manufacturer, or did you choose X1 under Comcast?  I'd read an older post where another person solved some remote issues by choosing Comcast X1--generic. My box wasn't listed so I had to go with the generic.