3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2015 1:47 PM by katie.sling RSS

Advice watching through a PC

DAM091
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I have a windows 7 desktop PC connected to my television via HDMI. My Slingbox 500 is connected in my parent's house so I can watch my local NY TV in my current state of Florida. I'm trying to figure out how to set up my home to give me the best viewing experience. I'm currently watching in Firefox, using a Logitech K400r keyboard/trackpad combo to navigate. I'm wondering if there's a better way. My Slingplayer Desktop program doesn't seem to be working. Does anyone have a recommendation? I don't mind buying something if it will improve the situation. I currently have a PS3 and an AppleTV connected. Obviously, those 2 don't help me. I was wondering if an Amazon Fire TV would make it much better, since I can use a remote?

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. I'm a long time user of my ridiculously old Slingbox Tuner, which served it's purpose for a long time. Just bought the 500 and would really like to maximize my experience.

Thanks!

-David

• Re: Advice watching through a PC

WDTV is a solution

DAM091

Yeah, I was just reading about the WDTV player, as well as Netgear NEOTV. Both seem like older devices than Amazon Fire TV. Not sure if their apps are still being actively supported though. Can anyone shed some light on this? Also, does one device have a superior user interface or better connectivity than the others?

katie.sling Apprentice

Hi David,

For best viewing experience on a TV in a remote location, the Amazon Fire Stick would be a great option. This has a built in Slingplayer application that you would simply log in to and connect to the Slingbox instead of using a computer to log in to first. This does have the remote that you would use to control the Slingbox. If you have an iPhone or iPad with the Slingplayer application installed, you can also use the Apple TV to stream to the TV. The WD TV is not supported for use with the 500 at this time.

Hope this helps,

Katie