6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2015 5:31 PM by ACC6517925 RSS

Problem Casting Slingbox Stream

jrand

I have a Slingbox M1 set up correctly, and it streams fine to all my mobile devices or to my Macbook Pro with Slingplayer.  What it won't do is cast to the TV, either through my Apple TV or my Chromecast.

iPad/iPhone -- Airplay

I've tried on a iPad and iPhone, and the stream simply shuts down when I connect to Apple TV through Airplay with this error message: "SlingPlayer connection lost. Please make sure your phone and Slingbox are connected to the Internet and try again."  They are in fact connected to the internet. 

iPad/iPhone -- Chromecast

I've tried on the iPad and iPhone with Chromecast, and the stream again just shuts down when I access the Chromecase with this error message: "Session has unexpectedly closed. Please check the internet connection of your [chromecast] and Slingbox and try connecting again."

MacBook Pro

Streams fine to Slingplayer, and I downloaded the most recent version of the software (5.0.92), but there's no icon next to the volume lever for the Chromecast.  So I can't even try.

Please let me know what I can do to fix this.  Thanks.

• Re: Problem Casting Slingbox Stream
          jrand

For the record, I already did all these things listed in the FAQ.  None of them worked.

I can’t see the streaming icon on my supported device – what can I do to troubleshoot this?

If you don't see the streaming icon, try these steps:

• Make sure your SlingPlayer app is up-to-date.
          • Make sure your phone or tablet is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the Chromecast device.
          • Stop streaming and start streaming again on the SlingPlayer app.
          • Reboot the Chromecast device from the Chromecast app on your device.
          • Reset the Chromecast network connection from the Chromecast app on your device.
            jrand

Why don't you guys just admit that Slingbox doesn't work with Chromecast, and stop wasting everyone's time?

Cauchon Novice

I don't have a problem using Slingbox with my Chromecast, I use it quite often. I'd recommend either trying to hard reset the Slingbox and setup again, or call support and they can walk you through a bunch of troubleshooting.

Also, I haven't gotten it to work with Macbook Pro either, I don't think Sling supports it. The closest I've gotten is using the Facebook Slingplayer app and screen casting up to the Chromecast.

jrand

Thanks for the reply, Justin, I appreciate it.

1.  Desktop

The documentation seems to suggest that it works on the Slingbox Desktop, that I'm supposed to look for an icon. It just doesn't appear.

2.  Chromecast from Mobile

Thanks for the suggestion.  The problem is that I'm not home where I can access it.  I can try hard resetting the Slingbox when I get back home, but the whole point of this thing is that it's supposed to work when I'm on vacation. And that's where I am.  And frankly, I've had to reset that **** thing about 10 times trying to get it to work with Fios.  This isn't exactly a "plug and play" type device, huh?

I'll try the reset when I get back home, but I don't see why Slingbox would be able to sling to my mobile devices, but then **** out when I try to cast from the mobile devices to either Apple TV or Chromecast.

ACC6517925

Slingbox.com - Frequently asked questions about SlingPlayer for Chromecast

I know you have probably already seen this, but just in case you haven't.  I just got my slingbox 500 today and I working on troubleshooting the same issues.  Hopefully, there will be a solution here soon.  If I figure it out I will be sure to post it here.