5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2015 6:37 PM by bryanda RSS

Windows XP

wizky

Don't know what happened, but I've been using my Slingbox on an XP computer for years..............and now it doesn't work.

And apparently the new SlingPlayer App won't work with XP

Do I have other options, besides updating to Win 7 or newer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Re: Windows XP
          bryanda

Seems like all support for XP has ended (at least for me), for all browsers (IE8, Firefox, Chrome)

I am still able to get it to work with Vista Business and either IE9 (by itself) or Chrome (with IE Tab Multi in IE9 standard mode)

If anyone has any way to make it run under XP please reply.

evan.sling Novice

Hi Ken!

Yes, our Slingplayer for Web Plugin will no longer run under Windows XP.  Take a look at this article for what is currently supported:

In the meantime, you may still be able to watch older Slingboxes (PRO-HD and older) using our older Slingplayer for Desktop app.  Here is the download link:

Also, as a last resort, you can try using the Embedded Slingplayer, which we no longer support, but it may work:

Hope this helps!

-Evan

bryanda

Hi Evan,

Embedded player works in all browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome), but is

annoying to watch as it apparently uses a low frame rate, i.e., motion is

very jerky. You can also use this through Facebook if for some reason you

would want to do that.

I once tried to Slingplayer 2.0 but it would not connect. Possibly there is

some way to make it work but not obvious.

I have set up Slingplayer on iPad and hope to use that with Roku streaming

stick. Would prefer to use Roku 2 box, but at

http://support.slingbox.com/KB/KB-2000582 the current Roku 2 box (model

4210) is not listed, so I have to assume that it will not work with

Slingplayer for iPad, unless you say otherwise.

Will Slingplayer for IPad work with current Roku 2 (model 4210)?

Dave

evan.sling Novice

No guarantee, but I believe your Roku 2 should work fine.  Just make sure you download the Slingplayer app in that Roku before you try.

bryanda

Hi Evan,

OK, Slingplayer 2.0 works over Internet under Vista, but only locally (same

network as Slingbox) under XP.

Running Setup Assistant on the local network, you get as far as trying to

login to slingbox.com, but then you just get a response screen that says

"Sling is improving our network"  "try again later" or something to that

effect, and you are stuck, because you can't go any further with Setup

Assistant.

Can you just confirm that you are basically blocking all login activity

under XP, and so really the only solution for XP is embedded player?

Or is there some way to bypass this login process altogether--I personally

don't care about it anyway, as the program guide there is inaccurate and I

can get a much better one off the web--all I want is connection between

Slingplayer and Slingbox.