8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2015 5:42 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Sling Catcher

itecdallas
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I have had 3 HD Sling Boxes and 2 Sling Catchers for years and they have worked great. Until 4 weeks ago when I had to reset my Verzion router.  I have been on the phone twice with Sling support and changed settings. I can remote view my boxes with Sling Player App and online remotely but not with the Catcher. Any ideas?

• Re: Sling Catcher
          alanrichey42 Master

Not unless you tell us the symptoms.  Could be a thousand reasons

itecdallas

the only symptom is the Catcher's say they can not connect.  In my router I have my ports configured to 5001, 5002 and 5003 one for each of my Sling Boxes and set to TCP. although I did try it with both TCP & UDP.  The sling app. and the web based sling player work great.

alanrichey42 Master

I assume you mean you have 3 Pro-HDs ?    I have similar symptoms to you where my Slingcatcher connects happily to a Classic or a Solo but not a Pro-HD, while other platforms connect with the Pro-HD.  In fact I am on holiday at the moment with EXACTLY that problem.   I think it's design is a bit more reliant on the type of connection.. Something to do with TCP or SNATT but I don't know enough about streaming technology to go any further. It has normally been cured by rebooting the Pro-HD

itecdallas

Thanks Alan,  I did mean Pro-HD.  It just seems to be a big coincidence that it all worked great until I reset my router.  Sling support actually remotely logged into my computer (for a charge) and looked at my settings. They said everything should work.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

ACC58067

My slingcatcher no longer works as well. Sling changed something in the software and apparently is not stating that the update has caused slingcatcher to no longer operate. This is extremely disappointing.  Why do manufacturers feel the need to break products that worked for many years ... Come on sling ... It's time to get it right. Don't leave users in the dark. Please provide an update for sling catchers.

alanrichey42 Master

Not sure where you heard that but they haven't changed anything.   The Slingcatcher still works with legacy Slingboxes.   They broke backwards compatibility with the 350/500 and now the M1/M2 which use a different streaming method, but that was a long time ago.

ACC58067

Thank you for your response. My slingcatcher stopped working. Had I changed network settings I would have suspected a port forwarding issues. Given your response I will try to dig further. The odd thing is I can log in but by the catcher does not see the sling boxes. Wish Sling had more  support on older products. That said like many loyal slung customers, I would purchase a new and improved slingcatcher in a heartbeat. Seems like Sling should consider a new and improved catcher 

Thank you for your prompt and informed response !

alanrichey42 Master

You could try a hard reset, although with boxes that old I am very wary of that.  Obviously a soft reset is OK to try.  Also the power supplies are notorious for causing 'odd' problems, even if they appear to be working.