3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2015 9:25 AM by dvprez RSS

What apps work on a different network?

dvprez

Hello, I'm trying to setup my slingbox for my vacation house.  I would like something like the FireTV that works directly with slingbox without having to be on the same network.  Chromecast would also be a viable option but everything I read appears to say that I have to be on the same network as the slingbox.  I would like something that will work either from a PC in the vacation house (I already have Chromecast there, but am willing to purchase another stick or set top box), or a set top box like a FireTV.

Is FireTV my only option or are there other Set Top boxes I can get?  I looked up Roku but from what I can tell, that won't work the way I want. 

Thanks for your help.

Don

• Re: What apps work on a different network?
          evan.sling Novice

Hi Don!

All of our applications will connect to a Slingbox when you're not on the same network as the Slingbox.  It sounds like you want to watch your Slingbox on a TV that is not located with the Slingbox itself.  Here is an article that covers the ways you can do this at length:

What was probably meant by "needing to be on the same network" is that in order to view your Slingbox using AppleTV, Roku, or Chromecast, you need to have a mobile device with our application installed to be on the same wi-fi network as it.

Hope this helps!

-Evan

EDIT: By the way, I noticed on your account that you have a Slingbox SOLO.  Of the methods to watch on a TV, only the AppleTV and the Roku are supported for use with this model Slingbox, so if you're looking to stream the SOLO out to your vacation home, you'll want to look into one of those two.  You can find information about this here: