14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2016 12:31 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

No DVR button on iphone 6 Slingplayer app

cmoune

I just downloaded the Slingplayer app for my iphone (6) and do not seem to have a DVR button, so can't figure out how to watch what is on my DVR.  Can someone assist?

Thank you.

• Re: No DVR button on iphone 6 Slingplayer app
          evan.sling Novice

Hi cmoune!

If there is no DVR button in your virtual remote, you may need to switch the virtual remote that is programmed in the Slingbox.  Take a look at this article under the "To re-specify the AV device from Slingplayer for Desktop" section:

If that does not get the DVR button to show up on your phone, make sure to take a closer look.  After hitting the "Remote" button in Slingplayer for iPhone, you'll see a few menus at the top.  You'll find all the functions of the virtual remote through those menus.  I mention this because it may take a little getting used to.

Hope this was helpful!

-Evan

harvmil

Have you tried navigating to your DVR using only the pop-up remote control for you setup?

ACC6579031

I'm using Slingplayer Free v 2.0.5 with an iPhone 6 (iOS 9.2.1). I have a DVR button, but it doesn't do anything. It's on the fourth screen of the control buttons. I have no way to turn the DVR on or list its contents. I can fast forward or reverse using the arrow keys once the DVR is playing, but that's not much use, as I would need to be near the DVR to get it started. I  am not getting the pop-up remote control that I get with the iPad App, and which does work on my iPad Mini (still running iOS 8.)  Weird and frustrating that Slingplayer can control my DVR with my iPad but not my iPhone.

alanrichey42 Master

Not weird at all, they are separate programs.  It looks as though Sling Media have mapped different codes to the 2 DVR buttons.  The correct one to the realistic remote image on the iPad and a different one to the iPhone remote.   I would be surprised if they have omitted the DVR code completely, is there another button, maybe labelled something else (List, Home...)  that performs the function ?    Unfortunately you still haven't told us the model of DVR you are using so can't suggest much else.

ACC6579031

Hi Alan,

Thanks for posting a reply. My set top box is a Samsung SMT H3272 with DVR built in. It's a very common box offered by Time Warner Cable in New York.

I've clicked all the buttons on the iPhone app, can't get to the DVR.  In fact, the iPhone app can really screw things up when I try to find a button that will bring me the DVR list and other options. I can only use the arrow keys once it's running. Yes, they do appear to have done the mapping differently in the iPhone app and iPad app. Frustrating that I can only control the device with an iPad, not an iPhone.  Any suggestions on a workaround that isn't too complicated would be most welcome.

David

alanrichey42 Master

If it's a common box it seems odd no-one else has reported a problem.   Obviously we can't do anything with the Sling remote but I can probably build you a Custom Remote that we can tweak to fit what you want.   Just depends on your definition of 'too complicated'.

ACC6579031

Well, I need something to happen when I hit the DVR button. Currently, it seems to be dead. Ideally, it would do what the "LIST" button does on my physical remote (and on my iPad)—show the contents of the DVR. I think I would then be able to use the arrow buttons (which work) to navigate around, select something to watch, see what's scheduled, etc. How complicated would it be to make the app do that?

As far as I can tell, the DVR Record button on that screen of the App works. I'm not sure what the Menu button is supposed to do but, like the DVR button, it's dead.

Am I really the only to complain about a non-working DVR button?  There seems to be some discussion of the problem in the Knowledge base, including mention of  Time Warner, FiOS, DIRECTV and other set top boxes. I just didn't find the proposed solution I found (watch on slingbox.com or reconfigure the video source) very helpful.

ACC6579031

P.S. I've been googling this problem looking for an easy way out and noticed that you answered a question about the very same cable box a long time ago.

Slingbox wont work with my new cablebox samsung... | Slingbox Answers Forum

I haven't tried to upload the custom file you attached there, because it appears to have the same model number as the Samsung model I selected during the set-up process. (SMT H3270)  Mine is SMT H3272.  Is there a difference between the custom file you shared with that user and the file that is currently part of the set-up process?  Just wondering.

alanrichey42 Master

haven't tried to upload the custom file you attached there, because it appears to have the same model number as the Samsung model I selected during the set-up process. (SMT H3270)  Mine is SMT H3272.  Is there a difference between the custom file you shared with that user and the file that is currently part of the set-up process?  Just wondering.

Absolutely, otherwise I would not have produced it.  But as you say, it was 4 years so I have no memory of it.

Right, first thing we need to do is get you a fully functioning remote.  This one uses the default remote image rather than a pretty realistic one.  So install it, and you should find the DVR/List button is marked Custom 16 on the iPhone (And no, I can't rename it, that is how Sling designed it) and the White button on your iPad and PC.

Any good ?

ACC6579031

Wow, that actually worked! I now have a functioning remote on my iPhone! Can't thank you enough.  Custom 16 pulls up the list, and then other buttons on other overlays seem to do the rest. It's a little confusing, but I will get used to it. I'm afraid to change anything, so I may just leave it installed as is. Just wondering if you have any recollection of whether the file you created for the H3272 four years ago had any advantages over this one. But it doesn't really matter. Many thanks again.