12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2010 5:35 PM by jolaw1 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Tailgating?

cmrnblaylock

im thinking about buying the hd slingbox to use for tailgating and using my phone as my modem to run it. is this even possible?  Slingbox will be hooked up to a router at my girlfriends house and phone will be used to provide the internet on my computer. any input would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Tailgating?
          eferz Expert

I don't see why not, since all you're doing is tethering your laptop to your phone for internet access.  The only problem I could forsee is your mobile broadband provider throttling your bandwidth or or blocking the service port.  Besides, you don't have to ask the question on the forums if it will work.  Just turn off WiFi at home, tether your laptop and test it.  No need to wait for the actual tailgate to see if does or does not work.

cmrnblaylock

i havent actually purchased yet, i was hoping someone had some experience so that i could have some certainty before i dropped the money on the slingbox itself.  it seems like it should work though.

eferz Expert

Well, I can tell you that neither the Slingbox (server) nor Slingplayer (client) care if you're using a Mobile Personal Hotpot like the MiFi, Tethered Cellular Modem like your Evo, or Broadband Router at your girlfriend's home.  The connectivity between the two points relies upon whatever your service provider allows.

wshepard19 Newbie

I can't answer about all types of phones.  Check to see if its possible by searching your phone.  I was thinking about doing the same thing using my iphone 4 with the iphone composite cables.  However, after researching some I found out that the cable doesn't work with the slingbox app.  You would think it would but from what I have been reading the cable is really only used for your personal videos and pictures.  The other problem is that I would have incountered is that att doesn't allow the full stream quality over there network, so the picture would not look all that great.  That is the one thing I don't like about the app is that the quality isn't as good as it should be on the mobile phone.  Your way around it all might be to stream it through a laptop computer that you can hook up to a larger screen.  You will be able then to get high def, question is, you might have to have wifi or a satalite wireless connection.

eferz Expert

wshepard19 wrote:

I can't answer about all types of phones.  Check to see if its possible by searching your phone.  I was thinking about doing the same thing using my iphone 4 with the iphone composite cables.  However, after researching some I found out that the cable doesn't work with the slingbox app.  You would think it would but from what I have been reading the cable is really only used for your personal videos and pictures.

Actually, there are other application in the app store that work with the AV cables like StreamToMe.

http://projectswithlove.com/streamtome/streamtome-icon.png
                    "The Apple iPhone/iPodTouch TV out cables are supported so you can  connect your iPhone or iPod Touch to your TV to use your Mac/PC as a  wireless streaming media center for your TV."

And if you have a jailbroken iPhone you can use the various Cydia  applications to force video out through the cables.  As far as I can tell Slingplayer Mobile is only using a porton of the MediaPlayer.framework API with custom UI overlay.  That's probably preventing it from being going out through the AV cables like Quicktime, YouTube, iPod, and Quicktime plugin for Mobile Safari.

wshepard19 wrote:

The other problem is that I would have incountered is that att doesn't allow the full stream quality over there network, so the picture would not look all that great.  That is the one thing I don't like about the app is that the quality isn't as good as it should be on the mobile phone.

That's not an AT&T descision, it is actually Sling Media descision.  They do that specifically so you don't eat up your battery and bandwidth in watching a 30 minute show.  None of their mobile applications support the Slingbox encoding at a resolution any higher that 320x240.  Not at the time being anyways.

wshepard19 wrote:

Your way around it all might be to stream it through a laptop computer that you can hook up to a larger screen.  You will be able then to get high def, question is, you might have to have wifi or a satalite wireless connection.

Umm... yeah, if there was WiFi connection available, then he wouldn't need to tether his laptop to his phone.

cmrnblaylock

its an htc evo but i would only use the phone to provide internet on the laptop that would be hooked up to my tv.  although my evo does have an hdmi output so you never know...

eferz Expert

The Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod doesn't support video out for either.  At least not from what I gathered from this thread (https://community.sling.com/message/8344#8344).  I think its the same thing though, there have been people saying they got an app to force it out.

wshepard19 Newbie

Yeah I heard there was an app you can get that could force it.  I just didn't want to pay 50 some bucks for the cable and find out it doesn't work...well not yet at least.  I also thought about jailbreaking but then it would void my insurance on the phone if I drop/spill water or something with it.  I think the best way though is to go with the laptop way if you can get some type of internet access as your quality of the picture will be just like watching on tv, not the down graded quality.  I just wonder how bad the picture would look like from a moble phone stream that had been blown up.   Oh, one other thing I heard was if you do stream from your phone watch your data plan if you don't have unlimited.  I heard you can eat up alot and go over if not unlimited.  Glad I didn't change my plan when they offered it to me.  LOL  Good luck. Let us know how it turns out

I do connect from abroad with my 3G phone (connected to the Notebook) and it does work quite well... The download speed from my phone is great and the upload at the SB location it is as good as Fios...There´s a flawless connection and video resolution

jolaw1

How did you get your phone to your laptop and watch what was on your phone?

Did you connect the phone to your laptop via USB or HEMI cables?

I have a similar problem as tailgating?

We have a slingplayer HD PRO hooked up at home and I watch sling box on my HTC EVO phone all the time at work with no WIFI.

We have a new van with a large TV monitor in it.  We can play DVD's on it but not television.  There are cables from the monitor to connect a laptop to it.

Since we will be traveling and probably won't have WIFI, I would like to get the television from my HTC EVO phone, to my laptop, to the tv monitor so we could watch television in the van.

We have 3G but no 4G yet

Is this possible?

I am a novice and I don't know anything about tethering or MIFI