22 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2015 4:01 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

connecting slingbox 500 to an coaxial antena with an old VCR.

mml4211@yahoo.com
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I just brought a on sale slingbox 500 from woot.com. I connect the outdoor TV antena coaxial cable to an old VCR and connnect the yellow red white cable to slingbox. I connect the sling box to my Vizio TV with both component, ei red blue green and red and white and HMDI.  I attempt to set it up but it indicate no signal.   I realize the VCR output is on channel 3.  I wonder if it will work with VCR channel 3 or 4.  If using old VCR is not an option, what I should buy to get it work. By the way I have no problem to connect the slingbox to wifi.

Thanks.

• Re: connecting slingbox 500 to an coaxial antena with an old VCR.
          Maxcats Novice

If I understand this correctly you have connected your VCR OUTPUT to the Slingbox inputs using yellow (video) and red and white (audio).

Try connecting the yellow (video) and red and green OUTPUT from the Slingbox to the yellow, red and white INPUT on the TV.

What do you see/hear then?

alanrichey42 Master

Just to expand on what max says, you have to remember the OUT connectors on the Slingbox are simply pass-throughs.  So if there is no signal on the Component IN there will be no signal on the Component OUT.

mml4211@yahoo.com

Please note my Visio TV has video red blue green and audio red white.  There is no yellow on TV.

VCR got red white yellow, I connected them to sling box red white yellow input accordingly.  I then connect red white, red blue green output to Visio TV accordingly plus slingbox HMDI output to TV HMDI  1 input.  The slingbox showed up on HMDI 1 Input and allowed me to connect it to my wifi network. My PC slingbox App picked up this sling box.   The problem is no TV signal recognized by my TV

Please help!

Sent from my iPad

alanrichey42 Master

Why can't you just put a splitter in the cable and feed one end to the TV and the other end to the VCR.   Then use the composite (yellow/red/white) to feed the Slingbox.   As we have told you, you CANNOT magic a component signal (red/blue/green) out of nowhere to feed the TV.

mml4211@yahoo.com

Thanks with a splitter I can watch TV on TV channel but slingbox still indicated no signal.  I not able to see TV with my PC /IPad.  The problem is the VCR converted signal to channel 3 or 4.  Slingbox do not recognize it

Sent from my iPad

alanrichey42 Master

Are you sure ?.  It is normally DTAs (Digital to Analog) converters that do that.   The VCR should just have a built-in tuner which will output on the yellow composite output.  You should be able to change the channel output as you would normally do on the VCR.    How would you have operated the VCR if it was just driving the TV ?

BTW, I assume you configured the composite input to tell it the TV source is your VCR ?

mml4211@yahoo.com

Thanks. that is the part confused me. the VCR ouput will work on my TV channel 3 or 4.  Since I also connect the HDMI from sling box to TV plus all the components ei, red white, red blue green. I can only pick up the slingbox thrugh the HMDI 1, My TV shown no signal on 3 or 4.  That is why I believe the slingbox does not recognize the Chanel 3 or 4 signal. So you believe slingbox 500 should pick up the channel 3 or 4 signal. than I believe it is something wrong with the slingbox. I am not able to configure the slingbox, as it indicarted no signal. 

From: alanrichey42 <answers@slingmedia.com>

To: "mml4211@yahoo.com" <mml4211@yahoo.com>

Sent: Monday, July 20, 2015 3:04 PM

Subject: Re:  - connecting slingbox 500 to an coaxial antena with an old VCR.

connecting slingbox 500 to an coaxial antena with an old VCR.

reply from alanrichey42 in mml4211@yahoo.com - View the full discussionAre you sure ?.  It is normally DTAs (Digital to Analog) converters that do that.   The VCR should just have a built-in tuner which will output on the yellow composite output.  You should be able to change the channel output as you would normally do on the VCR.    How would you have operated the VCR if it was just driving the TV ? BTW, I assume you configured the composite input to tell it the TV source is your VCR ?

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in mml4211@yahoo.com by email or at Slingbox Answers Forum

Following connecting slingbox 500 to an coaxial antena with an old VCR. in these streams: Inbox

alanrichey42 Master

And confuses me more than ever.   I think we are going to have to start right from square one here.

Ma I right in assuming that your VCR is accepting the output from the co-ax cable (is it analog or digital?) and is then outputting a signal on the coax lead on analog Channel 3 or 4.   So if you plug it into the TV and put the TV on Channel 3 or 4 you get the video associated with whatever channel you have selected on the VCR.  If you change channel on the VCR then the channel changes on the TV.

Correct so far ?

If so, the TV Channel 3 and 4 is a complete red herring and we can ignore it.

So now I assume that you are using the composite output (yellow/red/white) from the VCR to feed the Slingbox ?    In which case you still don't seem to understand that the OUT plugs on the Slingbox are simply pass-through, so the ONLY plugs on the OUT of the Slingbox that will send a signal are the HDMI and the Composite.   And because you are not using the HDMI IN on the SLingbox the ONLY thing you will see on the TV is the internal setup and Menus associated with the HDMI.    If you could plug the Composite OUT into a TV that had these plugs then you would see the output of the VCR.

And you also don't seem to understand that the Slingbox is not meant to be viewed on a TV.  It is designed to be viewed on a laptop/PC/Mobile Device.    So if you go to http://newwatch.slingbox.com on a PC and select the composite output then you should see the video associated with the channel you have selected on the VCR.

Am I right so far ?