9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2015 7:37 AM by 271909470322410 RSS

do i need a slingbox for pc to play sling tv

ACC6419898
    Visibility: Open to anyone

do I need any thing for pc in order to watch sling tv

• Re: do i need a slingbox for pc to play sling tv
          roger.sling Newbie

Hello Jaimiedee Hammond,

If you are speaking of the internet streaming service called Sling TV, the subscription service where you can get channels like HBO, you will need to contact their customer service.  The number for their customer service is 888-893-9069, and their website is www.sling.com.

If you mean the Slingbox 500, once named SlingTV, all you would need to do is log into newwatch.slingbox.com in any supported browser. This document may help:

Slingbox.com - What is Watch on Slingbox.com?

There are more links at the bottom of this document, with more information.

Hope this helps.

~Roger

Hey, this may be a dumb question, but...

It does involve a Slingbox and Sling TV.

I am a Slingbox 500 user and currently have my Dishnetwork satellite receiver connected.  Seems to work well.  Now that Sling TV is out, it appears to be an attractive service for me to perhaps replace my Dishnetwork service.  The question is whether it is possible to use my Slingbox with Sling TV?  Or is this even necessary?  I presume that since a Sling TV account is accessible via the Internet most anywhere, then needing to use a Slingbox to access my home TV is redundant and thus, not needed.  But is it even possible?

For example, let's say I have a Roku box or stick and plug that into the HDMI port of the Slingbox 500.  Assuming the Slingbox could control the Roku device (which I doubt) then it would be theoretically possible to remotely view something like Sling TV via the Slingbox.  An added benefit would be access to other content available via the Roku.  Again, I realize that as more and more services make themselves available to subscribers directly over the Internet, the need to access a Slingbox to be able to watch my home TV remotely is diminished.  But being able to access my TV services remotely in the exact same manner as I would at home would be somewhat of a benefit.

Thanks for any comments...

roger.sling Newbie

Hello Jaimiedee Hammond,

You actually can do this.  There is a remote for the Roku in the cable box list.  You may run into copy-write errors due to the HDMI inputs, though.  The same thing can be done with the Apple TV.  You would just need to configure the HDMI as a different input.

If you ran into the HDCP copy-write error, you can use this device:

http://www.gang-hu.com/gh_shop/index.aspx

This is an adapter that will split an HDMI signal into a component and HDMI signal.

Hope this helps!

~Roger

XxBxX Newbie

Hey Roger Sling,

Got a question for you? Where do your streams for the sling TV ap come from? In other words where is the source?

Thanks, Roger Sling for the response.

I posted the question, not Jaimiedee Hammond but thanks anyway.

So it may be possible to use a Roku as a Sling TV source to send the channel out via the Slingbox.  Although it principle it may work, the use of the Internet connection for both incoming and outgoing traffic does seem to be a bit inefficient.

Thanks.

Thanks.  I poked around the settings on the Slingbox 500 and did find some Roku options, although it's a bit unclear what kind of device it is referring to.  There was no device category for Internet streaming video devices.  But my research does seem to indicate that almost all Roku boxes (the sticks are the exception) have IR receivers, even if they come with some sort of RF remote.  So in theory, the Slingbox should have the ability to control the Roku if it has the right remote codes.  And it sounds like Roku has kept their IR remote codes pretty stable over the years, although they may have added a button or two.

Right now I have my Dishnetwork receiver only connected to the Slingbox via component cables.  I had trouble getting HDMI to work a while back so I think it may have failed in the receiver.  Not having HDMI connected to the TV does seem to cause problems using some of the features of the Slingbox.  But there shouldn't be a problem having the HDMI input connected to a Roku and the component inputs connected to the satellite receiver.  Of course the issue of copy protection via the HDMI port (HDCP?) could be an issue, depending on the content of the video stream, right?  While I understand the use of the HDMI to component converter to try and get around the HDCP blockage, the Slingbox only one has one set of component inputs. I do have to connect the output of the Slingbox to the TV via HDMI to see if that solves at least some of the feature access issues.

My ultimate goal is to see if using a Roku and Sling TV can be an acceptable alternative to Dishnetwork and still have it work with a Slingbox.  Since the Roku boxes are pretty cheap, I may have to get one just to test this out.  I can presumably test with any of the free channels before actually doing the Sling TV trial.  From what I can tell, the other two standalone streaming boxes that support Sling TV right now are the Amazon Fire TV and the Nexus Player.  Neither of these have anything other than HDMI for output and it sounds like the Roku seems to work the best with Sling TV.  The other issue that needs to be tested is whether my internet bandwidth (6Mbps down, 500Kbps up) is enough to support both a Sling TV stream down and the Slingbox stream up simultaneously.

I do like my Slingbox 500, but am concerned that the shift towards "cord-cutting" will make them less viable.  Cord-cutting does seem to be putting pressure on the cable and satellite companies, but these are the two signal sources for which the Slingbox was sort of invented for.

Ok, here's an update about my Roku adventures.  I got a Roku 2 (4210 model) to try out the streaming TV thing.  Actually I got a couple of them, since my initial experience was pretty positive.  For those that aren't Roku experts, here are a few tips (in 2015) that may be helpful.  1) Roku has had some naming duplication, and has used Roku 2 for the name of a few generations of boxes (like the XD, XS, etc).  But the latest models, are simply the Roku 1, Roku 2 and Roku 3 (and Roku 4, but that is just out and does 4K TV).  2) The later models of Roku 2 could either be a 2710 model or a 4210 model.  The 2710 models have composite outputs and HDMI and don't have a wired Ethernet port.  They also use a slower processor than the Roku 3, but do have the Wi-Fi remote with headphones.  The later model of the Roku 2 (4210) has the same processor as the Roku 3, but has gone back to the IR remote without headphones (the Roku 3 has the headphone remote).  3) Sometimes you see the model number with a letter after it, like 4210X or 4210R.  The X means it was purchased via Internet (probably direct from Roku) and the R means it was sold on the retail market, like in a retail store.  I think a B in the model number indicates that it is a refurb.

Ok, so ultimately I wanted to try to use a Roku with a Slingbox 500 since it has an HDMI input that I wasn't currently using.  I only connect component video to my Dish receiver since I think the HDMI output is not working on my receiver (an old ViP 622).  I was also interested in starting to use wired Ethernet instead of wireless as I also got a switch to connect more than one device to my remote router.  That meant I needed a late model Roku 2 or 3 (42xx).

Now the Roku seems to work pretty well although I have so far confined myself to "free" channels and ones that I can use (like Watch ESPN) that I qualify for via my Dishnetwork subscription.  All that seems to work OK.

But now that I have connected the HDMI from the Roku to my Slingbox 500, I see the unfortunate ramifications of HDCP.  The Roku is controllable through the Slingbox, although the remote controls on the Slingplayer app are a little obscure and have a lot of lag.  But the main issue is that I haven't found ONE video source that is "HDCP authorised."  Audio seems to come through, but the video is blacked out with a purple screen telling me that it is "not authorised."  Even the video from the Roku Recommends channel is blacked out.  I tried free channels like CNET and Popular Science, but the same thing happened.  The menus looked OK (via Slingplayer) but when a video starts to play it goes to the purple screen.

Is there any solution to this?  I know I can go the HDMI-Component adapter to see if that will work, but right now I don't have an extra set of component inputs on the Slingbox 500 to use.  I suppose I could try getting a Roku 1 and trying the lower quality composite Slingbox input.

So I guess the main question is whether HDMI (other than pass through to the local TV) is pretty much useless on a Slingbox?  I think my HDCP experience has confirmed what I suspected about why HDMI ports seemed to have disappeared from the latest Slingbox models.  Ironically, Roku seems to have gone in the opposite direction, with HDMI being almost the sole output port (with composite being available only on the Roku 1).

roger.sling Newbie

Hello Brocklin Gove,

The Sling TV app is actually from a different company.  You can contact their customer service at 888-893-9069.  They are not associated with Sling Media.

~Roger