8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2010 8:18 PM by jpbelanger RSS

Sling Catcher

naneki

Sling Catcher not able to connect.  Where can I buy a new one.  This one doesn't seem to be working

• Re: Sling Catcher
          eferz Expert

If you live in the United States then your out of luck.  Here the SlingCatcher has been discontinued.  If they're available here then it'll probably available through eBay or Craig's List.  Though in other parts of the world, they're being sold.  I just checked Amazon UK and they have plenty in stock.

csdukich

Do you know what it was discontinued?

callanish Apprentice

I guess it's because it didn't sell so well and even though the slingcatcher is still being sold outside of the U.S, I think eventually slingmedia will be looking for hardware partners to piggyback their software to provide a slingcatcher experience on someone else's set top box. I could be wrong, but I see it as kind of like what logitech is doing with google TV. They're providing the box, google is providing the O.S and with android comes the possibility of the slingplayer software being integrated into something like that or maybe using something like Flash could open up some opportunities for hardware integration.  I also think that the slingcatcher is now old technology and for a lot of people like myself; it didn't turn out to be a plug and play situation in originally making it work ( I had a network connection issue due to a port forwarding issue ). So, is the slingcatcher hardware dead. I'd say yes, but not the slingcatcher concept. I think watching your slingbox on the big TV, especially remotely from another country as I have been doing, is just too valuable to abandon outright. Slingmedia is probably working on the next step in the direction they want to take the slingcatcher idea. We, the customer, are just in limbo right now waiting for that to happen.

csdukich

Interesting.  Did you know that it's based off Windows CE? I sure hope they come up with a solution. I'm going to try to roll back the firmware, even though it's not officially supported.

callanish Apprentice

I just came across the thread over at placeshiftingenthusiasts.com where Eferz ( who is very knowledgable and comments here and over there ) is stating that Slingmedia has been working on a Native Flash client which will open the door to devices capable of interacting with the slingbox, thus doing away with the slingcatcher hardware entirely.

http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/forum/sling-catcher-forums/looking-to-buy-a-slingcatcher/#p2262

Sounds like a win, win for everyone if that's how it all plays out.

I've been extremely fortunate ( cross fingers ) so far with my slingbox solo considering it's 5000 miles away from my slingcatcher. I haven't had any streaming issues or connection issues to speak off on both sides once I did the port forwarding setup correctly. As a backup, I've got a netbook with the logmein remote software on it sitting at the slingbox location to save me if any firmware updates or general issues go wrong. Fortunately, the latest 2.050 firmware installed remotely on the solo without any problems.

Bottom line is the slingcatcher needed more development to turn it into the product it should have been, but that's not going to happen now, so my guess is what we're looking at is another hardware manufacturer taking over the burden of the hardware costs while sling perfects the player client allowing a sort of slingcatcher 2.0......hopefully without the headaches that came with the catcher. Could be worth waiting for when it happens.

csdukich

Do you mind checking the software version of your SlingCatcher and Player for me so I can cross reference?

My SlingBox is on 1.3.70, and my Catcher is on 1.0.0.64 - upgrading the SlingBox now to 2.0.50

I hope this works.

Thanks,

Chris

callanish Apprentice

Yes, I can verify that I'm running those two versions. 1.0.0.64 on the slingcatcher and upgraded the slingbox solo firmware to 2.0.50 a few days ago. I've remotely updated my solo's firmware a few times and the first time was a bit intimidating because it took so long, but never came across any problems in doing so, so hopefully you'll be okay as well.

jpbelanger

I'm selling mine with my Slingbox Solo HD and all cables:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320609973085