9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2011 7:39 PM by ronrace1 RSS

Why won't the channels change on my laptop and android phone but they will on my tv at home?

timbob2

Sling box Pro configured through Cox cable HD DVR  Scientific America 8300HD box.  The installed internet remote functions properly for the home TV but the channel doesn't change from cable channel 3 a local NBC station on my laptop or phone. The program guide or channel up down selectors do nothing on the laptop or phone either.

Great video and audio. I'm using the SlingLlink Turbo 4 port for ethernet connections.

Any ideas?

• Re: Why won't the channels change on my laptop and android phone but they will on my tv at home?
          eferz Expert

I'm guessing that you're toggled to a video source which is not properly confgured to control your cable or satellite reciever.

But.. you'll probably have to be more specific about your current config.

For instance which options did you pick during the Setup Assistant.

• Which Video Source?
            • Component
            • S-Video
            • Composite
            • ANT IN
              • External box (cable box, satellite reciever, DVR, etc.)
              • Cable service (without a cable box)
              • Antenna

• Which Device Type?
            • Cable Box
            • Satellite Receiver
            • Standalone DVR (Digital Video Recorder)
            • DVD Player
            • Other Controllable Device
            • Non-Controllable Device

• "Manufacturer" selection within the Setup Assistant?
          • "Model" selection within the Setup Assistant??

Also some other things that help is information...

• Which Slingplayer?
            • Web Slingplayer for Internet Explorer
            • Web Slingplayer for Safari
            • Web Slingplayer for Firefox
            • Slingplayer Desktop for PC
            • Slingplayer Desktop for Mac
            • Slingplayer Mobile for iPhone
            • Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod
            • Slingplayer Mobile for Blackberry
            • Slingplayer Mobile for Windows Phone
            • Slingplayer Mobile for Palm
            • Slingplayer Mobile for Symbian

• Which Slingbox?
            • Classic
            • AV
            • Tuner
            • Solo
            • Pro
            • Pro-HD

• What is the manufacturer and model number of the physcial set-top box?

And finally...

• Re: Why won't the channels change on my laptop and android phone but they will on my tv at home?
              timbob2

Video Source is component.  External box

Device Type was cable box.  Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD  Cox Communications - digital  (DVR)

The router isn't listed. It's a Linksys WRT610n v1  so I manually configured it with the correct IP address and port (5001)

My phone is a Sprint HTC EVO 4G Android

The IR Blaster must work because all the buttons function on the TV via the internet remote.  The internet remote isn't a DVR remote like the real one but it is functional.

Everything works correctly(channel volume video) when I configure it for basic cable but I don't want to be limited to the basic channels. ( The reason I purchased the Slingbox Pro HD in the first place)

p.s. I did note in the user guide for the remote that there is an factory ID lock on the cable converter and interactive service from the cable company.  I unlocked the cable ID lock and ran the SlingBox configuration.  I'm still stuck on the single channel when running through the cable box.

I'm going to relock the factory ID lock after posting this reply to see if that makes a difference.

eferz Expert

I'm not really worried about the router right now.  First thing we should do is make sure that you can get local viewing on either your laptop or phone.  Now I had to extrapolate some of your answers since it appears you tried to condense them.  However, it is really important each question is answered individually since it affects how the Slingbox (hardware) and SLingplayer (software) will work in accordance to your home entertainment system.  Please review and correct then answers below.

Choices made during the Setup Assistant.

• Which Video Source?
                    • Component

• Which Device Type?
                    • Cable Box
                  • "Manufacturer" selection within the Setup Assistant?
                    • Cox

• "Model" selection within the Setup Assistant?
                    • Explorer 8300

Also some other things that help is information...

• Which Slingplayer?
                    • Web Slingplayer for Internet Explorer
                    • Web Slingplayer for Safari
                    • Web Slingplayer for Firefox
                    • Slingplayer Desktop for PC
                    • Slingplayer Desktop for Mac
                    • Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod

• Which Slingbox?
                    • Classic
                    • AV
                    • Tuner
                    • Solo
                    • Pro
                    • Pro-HD

• What is the manufacturer and model number of the physcial set-top box?
                    • "Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD  Cox Communications - digital  (DVR)"

And finally...

smithmc7

I have been having the same issue as timbob. I set my slingbox pro-hd up through Comcast Digital Cable in Denver on a Motorola DCH3416. I can change the channel on the TV during the test but the slingbox remains on the same channel. The issues seem to be something with the setup as I am seeing channel 3 but I cannot change to any other channel (I can only assume this is because the TV is on channel three to run the cable box but the coax cable is plugged into the box, not the TV).

So...how do I change the channel on my slingbox

vanvlec3

I have had this problem twice, and both problems have been solved by reconfiguring the actual hardware.

Both times this issue came up I had the coaxial cable running from the wall directly into the slingbox "Ant In" port, and then had the "Ant. Out" port on the Slingbox going to the cable box. This set up only allowed me to see and hear what was on one channel, although I could still properly change channels and power on and off the cable box using the Slingbox. The channel was changing on the actual TV but was not changing on the Slingbox.  What solved the issue for me was to have coaxial cable from the wall running to the cable box first, and then have the "to TV" output on the cable box connected to the "Ant In" port on the Slingbox. The "Ant Out" port on the sling box should then go into the back of your TV.

dks03

On my android phone i cant change the station on my phone what im i doing wrong