12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2015 7:19 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Restricted programs?

fukinolux

I have a slingbox 500 and it worked fine until recently. I now get the following error: Your TV does not support this programs content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program. Basic stations like ESPN, ABC NBC etc..

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

• Re: Restricted programs?
          alanrichey42 Master

If you had done a forum search before posting you would have seen you are now the 8th person to report this in the last 3 days.   It looks as though DirecTV have implemented HDCP to stop you recording (or slinging) HD content.  So you will have to do what they suggest.  Ditch the HDMI cable and feed your TV from the Component OUT plugs on the Slingbox.

evan.sling Novice

Hi ken!

As Alan mentioned, it does appear we are looking at HDCP content protection from the cable box.  I thought I would drop by to provide an article here with some information:

The question I have is: Is there an HDMI cable connected to your cable box at all?

If not, go ahead and reset the cable box (unplug it, plug it back in after a few seconds), and try the Slingbox again.

How do you have the cable box, Slingbox, and TV wired together?  Let me know where you have HDMI cables installed, as well as component cables, and we'll see if we can work through it together.

Hope this was helpful!  Let us know.

-Evan

robgar

I've been experiencing the same thing of late when placeshifting.  I have a Slingbox 500 since day 1 of release configured in the same manner, but now I cannot get past "Your TV does not support this programs content protection ...".  I have attempted a reboot of the DVR, resetting of the Slingbox and reconnecting all cables to ensure a secure fit.  I cannot get any channel on DirectV to show, but the guide and menus work fine. I have no HDMI cables connected to the Slingbox .. not even for output from it .. only Component and Composite input.

DVR (HR24) --Component\Composite --> Slingbox 500

DVR (HR24) --HDMI --> AVR --HDMI --> Rear Projector

I ONLY use my Slingbox for placeshifting. This feels like a DirecTV firmware change (last update 6/17/15 0x994).

Rob

alanrichey42 Master

Yes, if you check the forum there have been lots of people reporting on that DirecTV have suddenly implemented HDCP.    But you misunderstand about the HDMI, the mere use of the HDMI cable is enough to block the component output, you have to get rid of it completely.   In your case you have to rewire to

DVR -- Component\Composite --> Slingbox 500 IN --  Slingbox Component OUT --> AVR - HDMI --> Projector 

Always assuming you have a component IN on the AVR and the HDMI on the AVR is not simply a pass through, in which case you need component from the AVR to the Projector.

robgar

Thanks, Alan-

So I have to assume that using your recommended config I will lose audio fidelity, not to mention some video degradation by inserting hardware in the video stream to the projector?  I'm running a home theater and not willing to sacrifice A\V fidelity .. even if that means I say goodbye to Slingbox :-(.

alanrichey42 Master

You shouldn't suffer video quality as, although HDMI is digital and component is analog, they are both rated as HD.   And the insertion of the Slingbox shouldn't hurt either, as the Component OUT is simply a direct passthrough connection from the Component IN, so the video signal does not go through the Slingbox internals on it's way to the projector.   Not so sure on the audio, as I assume you are using 5.1 from the DVR, via the HDMI cable ?   Obviously the analog Red/White RCA connectors will not pass 5.1.   But does your DVR have a separate digital Audio out ?   If so you could continue to use the Red/White to the Slingbox, but use the Digital Audio to the Home Theater.   As far as I know the HDCP signal on the HDMI cable only blocks the video no the audio.

Csbren

I was able to get my system up and running again. I had to re-program my sling box and remote control.