16 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2013 12:05 PM by ulrichro RSS

Dim Flashing Network Light

fbutler

Hi,

I have a Slingbox Solo which is about a year and a half old. Since yesterday it is not working.

The power light is on and bright, and the network light is very dim and flashes off about every six seconds.

The slingbox is plugged directly into a Netgear router and the physical network connection is good. I've also used a different network cable with no change to the symptoms.

The network connectivity light on the router corresponding to the Slingbox connection also flashes off at the same six second interval.

I've attempted to reset the slingbox by holding down the reset button, however this has absolutely no effect no matter how long I hold the button down for,

Attempting to connect to the Slingbox via the setup assistant in the Slingplayer fails.

If I connect the Slingbox directly to the PC via an ethernet cable and open "Network and Sharing Center" under Windows 7 it shows the Slingbox attempting to connect with the Windows busy circle with "Identifying" showing in the active networks area. This "identifying" message dissapears at the same rate that the dim network light is flashing.

When I log into my account via the Slingbox website and access the "My Slingbox info" area I can see a red Communication Status alert with a "date last accessed" of 01-09-2010 even though I have been sucessfully using the Slingbox since that date.

I've unplugged the power supply and left the slingbox unplugged for several minutes before reconnecting and it boots up with the same bright power light and dim flashing network light.

I've tried all of the diagnostics that I can find on the support site with no success. Is there anything else that I can do to diagnose what the issue is?

Thanks for any help on this,

Fergal

• Re: Dim Flashing Network Light
          eferz Expert

As I understand it is not entirely uncommon for malfunctioning AC  adapter to cause the symptoms that you've described.  On the bottom of  the Slingbox, you should see the power requirements; voltage, amps, and  polarity.  If you have a compatible power supply then you can test it  with your Slingbox to see if there's any change.

gotair3500

Thank You.  This was my exact problem and I fixed it by using another extra power supply sitting around the house.

alexfan

I am experiencing the same network light issue as the OP.  I can't find an alternate matching power supply around the house to test.

I am passing still able to pass audio from the cable box to the tv through the Slingbox.  When I unplug the Slingbox, tv's audio goes out, as expected.  My question is wouldn't that indicate the power supply is working?  When I hold the reset button in for 20-30 seconds, I get no change.  The inverted U doesn't light up or anything.  Power light stays bright and steady, the network light dimly flashes.  The box and a computer is connected to the router so network traffic is fine.  I tried switching patch cables and this did not work either.

shawna1978 Newbie

Hello alexfan,

Thank you for participating in the Slingbox Answers Forum. We am sorry to hear that you are having this issue. What we would recommend is that you give us a call here at Sling Media. The number is 877-467-5464 and some one here will be able to assist you further.

Hope this helps,

Sling Moderation Team

TuxBobble

I am having the same issue as alexfan.  Attempting to reset or factory reset the Slingbox SOLO does not change any lights on the front of the Slingbox, and I am unable to connect the Slingbox to my network.

alexfan

Hey, Tux,

I contacted Sling and they sent me a new power adapter.  That fixed the problem.  I guess it went bad.  It is confusing that you can still see lights on the box if the power cord is a problem but that will take care of the issue.

tjgallan

Been there, tried that. My new adapter worked for a couple weeks, then problem returned. They have a bad design (incorrectly sized capacitors as I understand it), and are unwilling to solve it. I opened the box and found the capacitors bulging as described on other forums. The box went in the trash.

I hope you have better luck.

Snares

I am having a similar problem and have spent the afternoon trying to fix it. Sometimes the network light will flash continuously but not make a connection. Sometimes there will be a dim light but I can't connect to the box. I've even managed to get a network connection but it only lasted a few minutes. My internet connection is otherwise fine and I've tried a different cable between the router and the Slingbox. My Slingbox is just over a year old but as I understand there is a 2 year warranty in the UK. How do I go about getting a new power cable?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Freddie123

Same thing with me. I thought the box had broken, however a new power supply sorted it. The power light was coming on but the network light wasnt. Slingbox should make customers more aware of this issue and supply the boxes with better power supplies.

TuxBobble

Can someone who has gotten a replacement power supply from Sling post the model on the new replacement power supply itself?  I'm wondering if they're replacing these with the same model, so that it will break in another year or two, or if they actually fixed these supplies...

Seeing as a lot of people seem to have this issue, I'm considering buying a third party supply from someone that maybe has a better track record...  (I have one picked out already.  But if Sling has actually changed the power supply, I'll opt for a first-party)