8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2015 5:02 PM by nanls RSS

Only Sound and no video when i turn the TV off

Andre11c

Im so sad now that i bought a product that will only work when my tv is on... when i try to watch my slingbox when the tv is off i can only hear the sound and change channels but cannot see anything. This just destroyed my day as all i wanted was a product that worked. My slingbox is the 350 and i heard someone say i had to disconnect my hdmi cable to watch my slingbox. This is totally crazy. Why would i take off my HDMI cable if when im watching my TV i want it in HD? So you are telling me when im home i should have my HDMi cable plugged but when i leave it i have to unplug it in case i wanna watch my slingbox? Thats not why i bought my slingbox. I hope you fix this devastating issue.

• Re: Only Sound and no video when i turn the TV off
          alanrichey42 Master

You misunderstand, it is not the fault of the Slingbox. You would have the same problem if you attached a third-party PVR or DVD Recorder.  What is happening is that your TV provider has implemented HDCP, which is designed to prevent you from recording (or slinging) HD content.    So it is them you should be blaming, not the Slingbox.   If Sling tried to fix this 'issue' with a work around, as you suggest, they would find themselves in court in minutes.  

The reason for the suggestion is that the way HDCP works is to sense if the HDMI cable is connected to an 'official' source and getting the right signals back.   You have it connected to the TV, so the cable box will ONLY output on the component output (I assume that is how you have it connected?) if it is getting the correct signals from the TV.    If you want a permanent solution then ditch the HDMI cable completely and feed your TV from the Component OUT plugs on the back of the Slingbox.   Or start complaining to your TV provider.

Andre11c

Thank you Alan Richey, now i kinda get what the problem is, and i see that what is devastating my day is my tv provider and not slingbox. Thank you for clarifying and i will try to fix it as you said.

Andre11c

Hey, Alan! I just did everything you told me and it finally worked! I want to thank you a lot for your patience and taking your time to help me. I just have one doubt left: as i took my HDMI cable off and put the blue/green/red cables, will it make my definition worse or its almost the same? Thank you again and im sorry for all the trouble and bunch of questions. Thank you Alan Richey!