7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2010 2:11 AM by eferz RSS

Question

CAT1355

I am trying to install the Slingbox in my Netgear router. I followed the Wizard instructions and when I enter my address for the Slingbox, my computer gives me this error, This IP Address should be in the same subnet with LAN IP Address! What do I do?

• Re: Question
          eferz Expert

CAT1355 wrote:

I am trying to install the Slingbox in my Netgear router. I followed the Wizard instructions and when I enter my address for the Slingbox, my computer gives me this error, This IP Address should be in the same subnet with LAN IP Address! What do I do?

Sounds like you're supplying the wrong IP address for the port forwarding rules.  These links should help you get it sorted out.

IP address and Port Number: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-005866.html
          Port Forwarding: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000068.html
          Network Setup Assistant: http://support.slingbox.com/get/network-assistant.html
          Manual Changes: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000126.html

Bryanod Novice

The ip address and gateway ip should have the same 3 numbers. 192.168.1.x for example.  The x value should be a number 1-254 and not the same number for both.  Once that is set the subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0

In a dos window type ipconfig

This will display your pc set up. Use the same subnet and gateway as the pc but make sure the last number of the ip is between 2-254 and not the same as your PC ip.

eferz Expert

Uh, I know you understand networking but for everyone else...

The subnet mask indicates which numbers will be the same.  Think of it as a mathematical decoder ring.  For each decimal place which is representend by "255", the IP address and Gateway address is going to be the same.  Technically every IP address contains two parts of information, the network address and the node ID.  Much like how your street address contains the street name and the house number.  The computer uses the subnet mask to differenciate which part of the IP address is the network address and the node ID.

As a simple example, if your IP address "192.168.1.12" and your subnet mask is "255.255.0.0" then your network address is "192.168.0.0" and your node ID is "0.0.1.12".  This means all the devices in your network will always have an IP address that start "192.168" with a subnet mask of "255.255.0.0".  Think of the network address as your street name.  All the houses on your street will have the same street name.   Just as all the devices on your subnet will have the same network address.  The zeroes in the subnet mask indicate which numbers will be left over for the node ID.  Think of the node ID as your individual house number.  Every house on your street will have to have a unique house number otherwise the postman might deliver the mail to the wrong house.

You may see one of the middle numbers in the subnet mask to be something different.  There are actually 9 values the subnet can be: 255, 254, 252, 248, 240, 224, 192, 128, and 0.  That's because these numbers are masked using binary.  So, if you see a number in the subnet maske other than 255 or 0, then you might have to get a calculator to know which digits will be the network address and the node ID.

Bryanod Novice

Your are 100% correct, However, Most users router's LAN subnet will be set up for 254 ip's.  So KAT enter 255.255.255.0 for subnet mask. The gateway is the ip address of your router.  The ip must use the same 3 numbers as the gateway.  The last number is safe to use 254

If your router ip is 192.168.1.1

then use the following

ip 192.168.1.254

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.1 (if thats the lan ip of the router)

if the router ip was 192.168.15.254

ip 192.168.15.253

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.15.254

eferz Expert

I guess my reading comprehension is off.  Assumed she was creating a port forwarding rule on her router.  Which case she would only needed the private IP Address and port number of the Slingbox.  Since most Netgear routers only require that bit of information.  Thought I covered that in the first article link.

Though, I suppose she could be setting up a static or reserved IP address which is also covered in the other links.  But, I'm getting old and aren't as spry as I used to be.  I was holding back other links like multiple routers and such till she provided a response.  Didn't want to inundate her..

It is amusing that you assumed 254 isn't used.  As if another device couldn't be using it, or it was outside of the scope of the DHCP address.  What do I know?  I'm just a silly old goat trying to keep with all these new fangled electronic doohickies.

Bryanod Novice

I did a lot of assuming there. I thought the same as you, but because she said in the wizard I figured it was the sling assistant and not the router setup wizard plus never had to enter a subnet for LAN in a router during setup. 

254 is very safe to use If you assume they used the default router settings.  Most routers don't pool even 100 ip's before locking up and having to be restarted.  I have only seen routers use .254 and I hope the user would see that as the gateway.

eferz Expert

My assumption was that she was following the manual instructions for router setup.  And it was the router's web page which verified her IP Address entry didn't jive with her network's configuration.