26 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2011 4:55 AM by dispencer RSS

Slingbox PRO stopped connecting to network

vhtriana

Hello all,

My Slingbox PRO has stopped working. The network light does not flash any longer. I looked in this forum for solutions, for example replacing the ethernet cable and the power supply. I've also tried a hard reset but the lights do not flash as is expected. Nothing has helped thus far. Has my Slingbox PRO come to an end?

Please help. Thanks.

• Re: Slingbox PRO stopped connecting to network
          rvwindy

Mine is doing the same thing and I've tried different routers..networks cables and providers. The network light blinks then stops... never steady. Sling wants to chage me $30 to tell me it's dead. No thanks

eferz Expert

rvwindy wrote:

Also if the firmware is to blame how do I go back to the old version if I can't get on the network? Thanks

You can't.  The Slingbox needs an IP address in order to participate on the network.  It needs to participate on the network in order for it to be configured.

rvwindy wrote:

P.S. Where did you find a power supply to buy on the Sing site?

Sling Web Store (http://www.slingbox.com/go/buy-replacement-parts)

rvwindy wrote:

Did you buy a generic one from RS or someone else?

If you intend on getting a generic remote, then make sure that it matches the power requirements listed on the bottom of your Slingbox.  You will find a label on the bottom of your Slingbox with the power requirements; volts, amps, and polarity.  Underpowering the Slingbox will only exacerbate your symptoms and over powering can burn out your Slingbox.

eferz Expert

If you have a friend with a router, you could try bringing the Slingbox over to their place and performing a factory reset (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005036.html).

Something I've start to notice is that people are starting to use third-party linux kernels like Tomator or DD-WRT in their routers.  And some versions of their updates have had problems assigning DHCP address to the Slingbox.  So, when the DHCP reservation runs out on the IP address assigned to the Slingbox it is unable to get another address.

In most cases, a firmware update or reverting back to the original manufacturer firmware solved their problem.  However certain people weren't convinced that this was the issue until taking over the Slingbox over to someone else's home.  Usually they were smart enough to assign a static IP address while they were there.

Now, I'm not saying you're using a third-party kernel for your router but to avoid paying for the tech support, that's one troubleshooting step that you haven't mentioned that you could try.

skwan31

I'm in the same boat.  After 2 years of operation.  The network light either blink incessantly or just stays off.  I look at my router and it kieeps assigning an IP address to my slingbox but the sling box refuses to work.  I've tried direct connection to the router and different network cables with no luck.  I've tried the hard reset and nothing.  Although one time I left it off for a period of a week and tried to turn it on and it light stayed on.  However after hard reset, I had to redo the setup and the firmware update.  After reboot of the slingbox, it was gone from the network again.  Frustrating.  I now own a $220 piece of junk.

eferz Expert

As I understand it is not entirely uncommon for malfunctioning AC adapter to cause the symptoms that you've described.  On the bottom of the Slingbox, you should see the power requirements; voltage, amps, and polarity.  Make sure the AC adapter connected to your Slingbox has the same output sepecifications. Otherwise, if you have a compatible power supply then you can test it with your Slingbox to see if there's any change.

ACC116678

My Sling stop connecting to the network the RED Light no longer comes on, it seamed to be working fine up until I installed the last update hmmm. I own two sling box pro's. put in two different locations one at my home and one at my office. My office sling works but my home sling dose not  So I swapped ac cords network cables and different network and its still not working. However it was working perfect up until two weeks ago after down loading there latest firmware, I wonder if I downloaded a bad bug that will force me into paying for there support or buying a new sling box anyone have any more solutions?

skwan31

I tried a bench top regulated DC power supply I borrowed from work.  I dialed in 6V and the Slingbox worked.  OK, I'm pretty sure it's the power supply I thought.  I bought another power supply from Slingbox this time the network like lights up solid but it refuses to work beyond that.  It only works with that bench top power supply.  At 6V it's drawing about 1.2 amps.  I've tried other wall type power supply with at least a 1.6A rating and they all would allow the Slingbox to boot and the network light would light up but it's inaccessible beyond that.  Only the fully regulated DC power supply works.

dstankey

Similar issue after doing the firmware  update on my Sllingbox Pro.  Using the web startup tool, the network won't recognize the Slingbox (even though the red light remains lit).  Using the setup assistant, I am able to set up the Pro, but get no audio and video feed.  Everything else looks it works - just not getting a video/audio feed.

Slingbox support no help of course - two long calls.

Thought my original unit had died, so I bought a refurb unit from Slingbox for $100.  Fired it up and have the same issue as the prior one, againg support is no help.

Something funky happened with the firmware update - Sling needs to admit it and get a fix out.

dstankey

Thanks to all for the helpful comments.  I did call Support one last time (3rd call), and switched out the power supply - now have video/audio feed remotely but still cannot watch off my local computer.  Well, good enough for me at this point - I really think something changed pretty dramatically with the latest firmware update - and caused the feed issues.  Switching out power supplies is probably a good general troubleshooting step.

Ricardoyoung

I have used my Slingbox PRO for the last 6 months and it was working fine until last week, when it just stop working and it show the exact same problem as mention by dstanky. The network light keeps on blinking and I can not find my slingbox anymore. I have also tried to master boot it by no success, the network light continues to blink and I can not find the slingbox not even locally. I have tried all the solution that I saw on the network but, since I can not find the slingbox locally I can not do anything. I really hope someone finds an answer to this problem or else I will lose my Slingbox. Just reinforce the point from dstanky I have also updated my firmware lately.

dispencer Novice

I have the same problem.  Slingbox Pro is hard-wired to router with ethernet cable.  Worked fine for 9 months then suddenly stopped connecting to the router.  Router settings checked -- no change.  Have reset cable modem and router, reset the Pro -- still not working.  From what I can see and have read, the Pro seems to be trying to get an IP address from the router  Reading this forum, it seems it might possibly be a power supply problem.  I have ordered a new power supply from Sling and will give that a try. Will post outcome once new power supply is received.

Meanwhile, has anyone with this problem found a solution?  I have spent hours and hours and hours on this.  Most frustrating.

Rant: there are MANY reports of power supply failures for all Sling products (and I recently had to replace mine on my Slingcatcher.)  There really seems to be a major quality control problem.  It is not only expensive and frustrating to have constant failures, but also does not reflect well on Sling Media.

dispencer Novice

The new power supply arrived today and the Slingbox Pro is now functioning correctly.

Interestingly, despite having reset the box many times when troubleshooting the original problem, once the new power supply was installed it was not necessary to reconfigure the Slingbox -- just started SlingPlayer (PC) and the original configuration was there, unchanged.

Although I am happy with the outcome, I repeat what I said in my earlier post -- these power supply units should not be failing after less than one year. Time for Sling to change their supplier or do a quality control review of the present supplier.  It is frustrating and expensive for the end-user to keep replacing failed units.

sling69box

I purchased a Sling Box Pro HD 4 days ago and it works some time. I can leave it for three or four hours and when I try it again it will work

for three or four hours and then quit.

I get- a 771A error, which is a cable connection problem. My internet continues to function normally Sling Box wont work.

bodeetie

i've had a lingbox pro for years-connected through a turbo link to a lynksys router, to a cable mode- same equipment as always. a few days ago, i lost all internet connections, i unplugged my modem for one minute- did not help, i unplugged my lynksys for one minute- got my internet back on all computers, my blye ray internet dvd player, and my internet tv, but cannot connect my slingbox on any computer or on my android phone. i have checked and rechecked every power connection and every other connection. help!!!!  p.s. the lights on front of my sling box are ON, and not blinking. i tried once to reset the slingbox, lights went off, blinked, and came on steady like they are spposed to- still no go

geister

Ditto to everything "bodeetie" says. Tried everything. Never get blinking light. only steady power light. This is out of blue. Help! Help! Help!

vprice

A few days ago, right after installing a firmware upgrade, I lost the ability to connect to my Slingbox Pro from PCs on my house LAN (all running XP). The Slingbox is visible on the network but when I attempt to "watch" it the web-based application thinks for a long time and gives me a non-descript message "Can't connect...". Interestingly enough a laptop connecting via Wi-Fi to the same LAN works fine. Remote viewing over the internet also works fine. Does anybody know what might be the problem?

wrutt

I have the slingbox pro, I have power to it, but cannot get a network connection! It worked fine for years and just today I tried to connect to it via laptop and it gives me a error: 0x8007274d / context: 1 / operation: 10! I have not updated, changed any network connections, I have tried unplugging it and waiting for several minutes, I have unplugged my router and nothing seems to work! The power light on the front is lit up, but no network activity! I have been reading the FAQ pages and messing around with this for several hours with no success, can anyone tell me if there is a solution to this problem! I have even replaced the network cable with a new on out of the box with no success there either!