2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2010 2:46 PM by eferz RSS

Issue with Netgear powerline device

paulhafer

I am using a Netgear powerline adapter to provide internet for my Slingbox AV (and Dish Network).  After working thru a port forwarding obstacle, it has worked well, until it doesn't...it will often just "lose connection" (I guess) with the router, because the slingbox looses connection with the internet.  I will then reset (unplug) the Netgear device (the one the Slingbox is connected to) and plug back in...the connection is then restored and all is well.

Whe I say "often", I mean this could happen as often as every other day, and I really dont have a clue what might cause it or how to prevent it.  Obviously if I'm not at the location of the Slingbox/Netgear, I cant reset it.  I eventually hope to run a network cable from the router directly to the Slingbox...I obviously never had issue like this with a direct connection.

• Re: Issue with Netgear powerline device
          eferz Expert

paulhafer wrote:

I am using a Netgear powerline adapter to provide internet for my Slingbox AV (and Dish Network).  After working thru a port forwarding obstacle, it has worked well, until it doesn't...it will often just "lose connection" (I guess) with the router, because the slingbox looses connection with the internet.  I will then reset (unplug) the Netgear device (the one the Slingbox is connected to) and plug back in...the connection is then restored and all is well.

Whe I say "often", I mean this could happen as often as every other day, and I really dont have a clue what might cause it or how to prevent it.  Obviously if I'm not at the location of the Slingbox/Netgear, I cant reset it.  I eventually hope to run a network cable from the router directly to the Slingbox...I obviously never had issue like this with a direct connection.

You should probaby contact Netgear for assistance.  It sounds like a problem with their Powerline Network Adapters.  Theoretically, you could try using the SlingLink troubleshooting guides (http://support.slingbox.com/go/slinglinkturbo-4port) for troubleshooting; however, support for their Powerline Network Adapters will ultimately need to be facilitated by Netgear.