5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2015 5:15 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

How do I get Slingbox 350 to receive video signal?

spark7230
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Ever since I accepted Slingbox's invitation to download an updated plug in, my Slingbox 350 receives audio but NO video signal.  At Slingbox support's suggestion, I reset the "settings" through the MacBook I use to watch TV on my Slingbox.  This did not solve the problem, as I continue to receive a "no video from this source" message when I connect.  In fact, although my settings correctly reflect I have Cox Cable service, and the channel listing the Slingbox window displays is the correct one for Cox Cable, the virtual remote control that my Slingbox displays is for Time Warner Cable, not the Cox remote my Slingbox displayed before I downloaded the updated plug in.  Slingbox support further suggested I consider reconfiguring HDCP.  From what I can tell, this does not apply to the model 350.  My connection is: Cable box connected to TV by HDMI cable; component video and stereo audio cables connected from the component OUT and audio OUT ports of the cable box to the component IN and audio IN ports of the Slingbox.  No HDMI cable connects the Slingbox to another component.  There is no HDMI port on the model 350.  I have pushed the "reset" button on the Slingbox, and unplugged it and waited before plugging it in and resetting the "settings."   All I get is audio and "No Video Signal."

I would appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks.

• Re: How do I get Slingbox 350 to receive video signal?
          alanrichey42 Master

Try temporarily disconnecting the HDMI from your cable box.   I suspect the video on the Slingbox will magically appear.   If so then your are suffering from HDCP.   

spark7230

Thanks.  I tried that but to no avail.  I called Cox, my cable provider.  The tech support person told me Cox no longer permits Slingbox to work with its system.  If true, that would explain my problem.

alanrichey42 Master

I doubt it very much.  I think he means they have implemented HDCP, which will disable the component output if the HDMI is used.   if you don't get a video signal when the HDMI cable is removed from the cable box then you have another problem.   What happens if you plug those component leads into the TV instead of the HDMI cable ?   Do you get a picture on the TV ?

If you don't get a picture then the component output of the cable box is not working so you need a replacement box.    if you do get a picture then there is something wrong with the 350.    And at the risk of stating the obvious, you do have the component input selected on the Slingplayer I take it ?

Does the cable box have a composite output ?

spark7230

Thanks so much, especially for stating the obvious (to you but not to me!).  I got a good picture when I plugged the component leads into the TV instead of the HDMI cable.  Then I checked the settings on the Slingbox and the composite setting was checked.  How that happened I don't know, I hadn't even gone into the settings since I first set up the Slingbox a year and a half ago until I experienced this problem and tech support said to reset the settings.  After I changed the settings back to component, I was back in business.  I will try to remember to disconnect the HDMI cable from the cable box before I leave town and will be using the Slingbox.  The only odd thing is I still get the Time Warner remote instead of the Cox remote, but it seems to work .  So thanks again for your help.