18 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2015 2:04 PM by rbc RSS

ir cables

rbc

I recently moved and went with two ATT Arris VIP 2500 wireless cable boxes. I am having problems with the IR cables. They are not working and the correct cable box is not listed. I cant change channels or operate either remote. I have tried many combinations ans still cant get either to work. Has anybody else had this issue? Any suggestion? Does anybody use this wireless modem/router that allows the remote to work. Thanks for any assistance.

• Re: ir cables
          alanrichey42 Master

Can't help on the cables, but as far as the remote is concerned I assume you have already done a proper Forum Search for your model number in case other people have already answered your question ?

If so and that didn't help then check out this thread:  https://community.sling.com/message/10363#10363

Come back if it that doesn't help either.

Al

rbc

I switched the slingbox to an older wired cable box and the ir cables worked fine. The other slingbox is still on the second TV, with the new wireless arris VIP2500 cablebox and still the IR cables do not work, so it must not be supported by slingbox. Is there an alternative way to use the slingbox on a newer cable box. I did search and saw a arris VIP 2250, but but no solution. Any help out  there.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, this is dreadfully confusing.   You talk about IR Cables, but do you actually mean the hardware itself or do you actually mean you cannot control the box simply because you can't find a match on the remote ?    If so that is a misleading title, as there is nothing wrong with the cables.

Did you try the Custom Remote for the Arris VIP2853 I built and uploaded over at the JP1 forum ?

And Arris boxes are made by Motorola so you could try some of their VIP series.

rbc

I am sorry I confused you. You are correct, I am talking about the control of the box remotely.I cant find a match for the Arris VIP 2500. There is Arris moxi, but not arris. What is the custom download for the VIP 2853

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I thought you said you had read that post I pointed to you ?   In there it tells you to check the JP1 forum for all the Custom Remotes I have produced.  I guess you didn't do that ?   It is here Arris VIP 2853

rbc

I downloaded the file, following your instructions. The remote looked completely different (not that it mattered) but still would not work. The cable box is wireless. Would that affect it? I have also tried Motorola. Any other suggestions? Thanks for all of your input.

alanrichey42 Master

The remote .....still would not work.

First suggestion is read the instructions properly   Particularly the part that says "If you have any problems installing these files please do NOT just report back it ‘doesn’t work’, that is totally useless for someone trying to understand what is going on.  So please report all of the following:..."

rbc

You are correct.

alanrichey42 Master

It does look like this box uses different codes.  Try this one

rbc

Alan:

It still does not work. It will not let me control the remote. I used the P bin file and not the R. Does that matter. The instructions were fine. I downloaded the file. Nothing happened. I cant get the remote to respond at all. Frustrating. Any other codes or help you can suggest. Thank you,

Maxcats Novice

Just a quick check, get your mobile phone camera and turn it on as if you are taking a photo. Put the IR blasters in front of your phone camera and get someone else to push the remote up/down channel on your Slingbox app or web player.  Do you see a 'flash' coming from the IR blaster through your camera? This will confirm everything is good to this point. Troubleshooting them comes down to the right file.

alanrichey42 Master

Just a quick check, get your mobile phone camera and turn it on as if you are taking a photo. Put the IR blasters in front of your phone camera and get someone else to push the remote up/down channel on your Slingbox app or web player.  Do you see a 'flash' coming from the IR blaster through your camera? This will confirm everything is good to this point. Troubleshooting them comes down to the right file.

Hi Max. Normally a good point, but I had suggested that in my first post when I asked him to read my post.  And in his reply he confirmed they were working on another device.  So it must be the remote itself..

alanrichey42 Master

It still does not work. It will not let me control the remote.

I used the P bin file and not the R. Does that matter.

If you had read the instructions properly you would not be making that statement or asking that question.  Allow me to quote 2 parts:

"If you have any problems installing these files please do NOT just report back it ‘doesn’t work’, that is totally useless for someone trying to understand what is going on.  So please report all of the following:...."

"For most devices you will need only the xxxx_PL.BIN file.   The xxxx_RV.BIN file is used for older European Slingbox Solo models."

So please go back and read and follow the instructions EXACTLY and answer those questions as I asked.    Then we might be able to track down the problem.

rbc

I am sorry, I did follow instructions. I was just questioning  the the possibility of trying the r bin file. I have tried so many possibilities and none work. Why not the r bin file. I have read the instructions and followed the instructions and cant control the remote with the downloads you have sent me or the downloads that are provided by the support page. I am unable to try every single combination given by support. I was thinking that I am not the only sling box user that has a wireless arris vip 2500., and perhaps someone has found the correct download. I would appreciate your support, and I do follow your instructions, you just have not sent me anything that has worked yet with my specific cable box. Any additional help would be appreciated.

alanrichey42 Master

If you have read the instructions why have you not answered the 12 questions I specifically ask you to answer ?    Do I have to post them separately on here ?

rbc

I am sorry. I see a bunch of question, not sure there are 12. please provide a specific link to the 12 questions, and I will answer them all. I know we are both tired of this exercise, I really am trying. Thinking about giving up, but I will keep trying.

alanrichey42 Master

It's the link I put in the README file in the Custom Remote I posted for you.

http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/how-to-install-a-custom-remote-onto-the-slingbox/ 

It's the 4th Paragraph and I don't understand why you say you are not sure there are 12, as they actually numbered 1-12.

rbc

Most of all of those are obvious to me. I have checked them all . The last one with the Logitech remote, I can't do because I do not have one. My other slingbox and remote are working fine. I have had slingboxes for a long time and never had this problem. I think it must be the download and code for the newer cable box and remote. I am at a dead end. Until slingbox lists a box, I may have to give up. I guess I could try every example and get one to work, I do not know. Thanks for your help.