6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2015 3:26 PM by nine00 RSS

Slingplayer to Chromecast

jmorwick
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I just got a new Chromecast and I thought that I would be able to bring it on trips and use it so I could cast the slingplayer to the big screen and watch our home TV while away.  I was testing it at home and when I hit the cast button on my phone to send the slingplayer to the tv it appeared for a few seconds and then disappeared.  I tried it a few times and it was the same result each time.  I have a slingbox 350 and wasn't sure if it was a limitation of this box or what, but it did seem to work briefly.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks,

Jonathan

• Re: Slingplayer to Chromecast
          Samantha.Sling Apprentice

Hello Jonathan!

Since the Chromecast is casting temporarily before dropping off, this makes me wonder if your upload speed may be dipping down since the Chromecast/Mobile Device combination does use upload and download speeds more than once, even when you're at the home location. Could you go to speedtest.net and run that test for us?

My main trick with the speeds when using the mirrored connected devices is to cut the upload speed in half; if the upload speed is below or just barely at 2mbps, that is more than likely the problem.

I hope this helps!

--Samantha

jmorwick

Samantha,

Thank you very much for getting back to me!  I was trying again on the weekend with little luck.  How do I adjust the upload speed?  I think my service is 25mbs down and 2mbs up, so if you are correct it is probably the upload speed.  I just checked using speed test and my upload is currently low at 1.09mbs.  I didn't think this would be a factor internally using wifi, but I can see how it would be a problem when away from home.  But maybe I am wrong on this.

Any help would be much appreciated.  I am hoping to bring the chromecast dongle to Hawaii and use our big screen there to watch our home cable box via the slingbox.

Regards,

Jonathan

jmorwick

Samantha - I responded back through the Slingbox forum.  Which is better to

communicate with you.  Email or forum?

If  you could respond back to my forum post that would be helpful.

Regards,

Jonathan

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Samantha.Sling <answers@slingmedia.com>

nine00

I actually found a solution tinkering around with it yesterday. I ended up doing a factory rest on the chromecast and setting it up again which solved my problem with Slingbox to Chromecast streaming. You can do a factory reset by holding down the button for 25 seconds.

Hope this works for you!