13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2016 11:30 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

tivo remote control

PCcream627
    Visibility: Open to anyone

the power button on tivo remote doesn't work. Everything else works on the remote. i like to know if support  can fix this trouble that I'm having.  I Bet a lot of people who have tivo remote control are the same problem.

• Re: tivo remote control
          alanrichey42 Master

If there were a lot of people having this problem there would be lots of posts about this.  So far you are the only one (although you posted twice - naughty) so I suspect the problem is with your system.

What Tivo box are we talking about ?  There are lots of different ones out there.

PCcream627

i have hd pro box

PCcream627

i have rcn tivo quad box.  sling box  support help me get the right  remote control  for sling box pro hd.  He couldn't help me with the   power button on remote.  support person  told me to go committee web site and ask them for help. its don't my system because everything on the remote works just the power button don't work. the button is highlight in green  all the other buttons are don't.  please can someone help me with this problem

alanrichey42 Master

Still struggling here, as there is no such thing as an rcn tivo quad.   Do you mean the RCN Tivo Premiere Q ?   That is the one that records 4 programs at once, so I guess is closest to a quad ?

And are you telling me you don't know what device the support line selected ?   If not then we cannot even start, as I need to install the same remote as you on my Pro-HD to analyse the code being transmitted for the power button.

Have you run the input configuration yourself ?   

I may be having the same issue as this guy. Just got my slingbox m1 in the mail and am trying to set it up with my TiVo box from RCN. During the set up process, slingbox asked me for the make and model of my cable box. I called RCN, who could only tell me it was made by TiVo and was the Quad model. The front of the cable box says series 4, fwiw. Following this thread, I entered Premier 4, and the slingbox set up wizard said it had found my remote. However, the only thing that popped up were some buttons that said channel up, down, etc, scrolling across the screen. There was no image of my actual RCN remote, as I've seen with other friends who have slingbox (albeit with other cable providers). The other fishy thing is, when I went to try and watch tv, the guide feature would only go from channels 1-100, which did not include any HD or sports channels.

I should mention that I ran this set up on the slingbox iOS app on my iPhone 6. Not sure if that makes any kind of difference or not.

I'm stumped, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated

alanrichey42 Master

Big difference.   Sling decided there was not enough real estate on the iphone for a realistic remote so they designed a standard one.  In addition to the what you are seeing there should be 3 boxes at the top to pull up keypad, d-pad and misc ?

If you want a realistic remote you need to use a PC or an iPad.

Thank you! You were spot on. I also ran it on my laptop and had the remote. Only issue - the remote is slightly different than the one I have at my house. Main difference is it does not have my OnDemand button. Is there a way to add it? Or access on demand another way? I tried to configure the remote again but cant figure out how. Although I'm not sure what other remote to choose, since the Premier 4 seemed to be the closest match. Any idea how to get Premier 4 with OnDemand?

Again, many thanks for your help

alanrichey42 Master

What the remote looks like is actually irrelevant and has nothing to do with how it behaves.  It just depends on what image Sling decided to allocate with each remote.

Can't help with the On Demand button I'm afraid.   I get the IR codes from the Logitech Harmony IR Database and there is no such box as an RCN Tivo Quad box defined.   And as far as I can see none of the other Tivo remotes (which all use the same codes0 has an On Demand function.   It's possible to figure it out by trial and error if you want to try, although before doing that right-click on the image and see if any Custom buttons have been defined and if any of them carry out that function.

Hey thanks again for your help. Works great on my iPhone now that I used your tips. I have another question for you - I also have a Windows surface (1st gen) and I saw there was a slingbox app offered in the windows app store. I also saw a chromecast app, and downloaded that. However, I can't seem to find a way to cast from my Surface, as I do from my iPhone. Any insight there?

Also, sort of strange, but when I cast from my phone, even when I close the app (not just navigate away from it, but swipe up and close the slingplayer app completely) it keeps casting what I was watching to my TV. Is that normal? Is there a better way to "turn off" the player when it is casting?

Thanks a million for your help!

PCcream627

RCN Tivo Premiere Q . yes i did run the input configuration more then one  time