7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2015 1:35 PM by krista.sling RSS

Sling player cannot find slingbox-350

btinley
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I know similar questions have been asked ad nauseam, but I have tried all the cable checking and various degrees of reset to my slingbox-350, which is connected by ethernet cable to my router.  I've enabled /disabled/enabled UPnP but the right hand light just keeps on flashing indicating that it cannot see, or be seen by the network.  I may yet have problems with external access to the box, but I the moment I am unable to communicate with the box in any shape or form.  Is there a way of connecting directly to the slingbox using the MAC address, rather like using an IP address to talk to a router?  Is it necessary to set the WPA key to allow the slingbox to communicate with the router - all my other devices need this info?  I have spent so much fruitless effort in trying to get slingbox to work that I will have to return it to my retailler if I can't get it to work.

• Re: Sling player cannot find slingbox-350
          krista.sling Newbie

Hello btinley!!!

Thanks so much for contacting us on the forums!!! Upon looking at your account I do not see a Slingbox setup on it. If the right hand light (our Sling logo) on the unit is flashing, that means that it is ready to be setup. From here, you would need to proceed to newwatch.slingbox.com and follow the setup procedure. If you get hung up during that procedure definitely contact us back and we can go through the setup process with you and do some troubleshooting if needed.

Hope this goes smoothly for you!!

~Krista

btinley

Krista

Thanks for your message. I have done exactly as you said, but get an error message saying that a slingbox cannot be found on the network. When doing this through Internet Explorer I get a message saying that Flash Player needs updating (I’m on Windows 8.1), but during the update process AVG virus protection pops up “Threat: Exploit Fake Video Player” – AVG removes the “Threat” without any option to override.

When I look at my router I can see a device called “Slingbox-350” with an IP address 192.168.1.65.  If I ping this address I get a “Destination host unreachable” error.  All other devices on the network are working without problem and all have IP addresses of the form 192.168.1.xxx

I do hope you can offer some positive pointers.

Regards

Bob Tinley

+44 2476 542 676

krista.sling Newbie

Hello Bob!!

I apologize my suggestions did not work out for you!! Your AVG anti-virus protection may be preventing the Slingbox setup. My suggestion at this point would be to totally disable the AVG and try the setup once it has been disabled.

Let us know if this helps!!

~Krista

btinley

Krista

I’m afraid I am going to turn into a very demanding customer!  I found that by connecting the slingbox to my master router and connecting my laptop wirelessly to the same router I could successfully ping the slingbox and the newwatch.slingbox.com site communicated with the slingbox OK – good  news.   Maybe not your problem, but I really need the slingbox connected to a secondary router which is connected to the network using ethernet through the mains – this works absolutely perfectly for all my other devices, but when connected to this router I get a “destination host unreachable” error when I try to ping the slingbox and newwatch.slingbox.com cannot see the slingbox either.  I’m at my wits end to see what settings are needed to either router to make the slingbox visible across the network.

I intend to use the slingbox to allow me to view a small birdbox camera from tablet computers. This camera made by “SpyCameraCCTV” has a wireless receiver unit, model REC01, which has two video and two audio ports so that it can support two cameras – I only intend to use one pair. When I connect the unit to Video In and Audio In on a television it works fine, but with it connected to Video and Audio L on the slingbox I get a “no video connected” message. I get white noise, so I assume something is coming down the audio line.  I’m assuming I use the “In” ports on the slingbox, although I tried “Out” as well, both with the same negative result.

I thought I would give SlingPlayer a go, but it asked me for a password – my sling account password didn’t work and there was also the opportunity to use an admin password, which I have definitely never set. Slingbox help on the web suggested that I could give the slingbox a hard reset, which would cause SlingPlayer to run in setup mode and allow passwords to be set – it didn’t and continued to ask for unknown passwords.  The alternative was to follow a link to a sling account page – this link just returned me to the page I was already viewing – very frustrating as I was unable to find any way to make changes to my sling account/setup.

Another gripe – often web searches for help gave a link for some potentially useful text, but as soon as I moved the mouse or waited more than ten seconds the page was refreshed with the slingbox home page/introductory page, which was I shame as I could never finish reading what might have been some useful information.

Sorry to waffle on, but I really feel that I’m barely any closer to getting a working solution.

Regards

Bob Tinley

krista.sling Newbie

Hello Bob,

So to recap you are able to ping the Slingbox IP when it is connected to the main router. If that is correct what you would need to do is port forward the first router with the IP address of the second router using the common port 5201. This should allow the Slingbox to connect to the internet. If you need information on the that, please see a step by step guide on portforward.com. Then try the setup. If you have any further issues with connectivity or audio/video please feel free to contact me back.

~Krista