3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2010 3:20 PM by eferz RSS

Can I set up Slingbox Pro in front of my cable modem?

idaholandho

I just upgraded to the Pro HD and am wondering due to my room set up if I can set up the Slingbox in front of my cable modem and router. My cable to my modem comes out of the wall low and I have another cable box behind my TV which is mounted on the wall and I dont want to run the eithernet cable or another cable down the wall to hook up to the router or the cable modem. Thanks alot.

• Re: Can I set up Slingbox Pro in front of my cable modem?
          eferz Expert

idaholandho wrote:

I just upgraded to the Pro HD and am wondering due to my room set up if I can set up the Slingbox in front of my cable modem and router. My cable to my modem comes out of the wall low and I have another cable box behind my TV which is mounted on the wall and I dont want to run the eithernet cable or another cable down the wall to hook up to the router or the cable modem. Thanks alot.

You can connect the Slingbox between the wall and the Cable Mode.  However, this would only provide a signal for the available channels from your cable provider.  The Cable Modem is responsible for connectivty to your broadband provider through the coax cable.  So, at the very least you'll need to run an ethernet cable from either the Cable Modem or your router to be able to watch the Slingbox over the network.

If you can't or won't run an ethernet cable to the the Slingbox's placement.  Then there are other alternatives.  Sling Media recommends using a Powerline Network over a Wireless Network.  This is because a Wireless Network's protocal adds extra latency that can reduce the performance of your viewing experience.  This is handy if you don't want to run your own network lines.  Powerline Adapters allow you use send network information over your electrical lines. Sling Media has their own SlingLink Turbo; however. I would recommend Belkin Gigabit Powerline Kit since they're much faster.

idaholandho

Thanks again. You are much more helpful than the gentleman I just spoke with who gave me 2 different answers at tech support.  I can run the eithernet cable from the slingbox to the router with no problem and I did.  The slingbox gets a signal but I have no connection from my hard wired computer right next to this area or any of my wireless laptops....very strange that they all show a signal but I cannot get to my homepage on any.  I am only interested in watching channels my provider offers at this point anyway.  

eferz Expert

idaholandho wrote:

Thanks again. You are much more helpful than the gentleman I just spoke with who gave me 2 different answers at tech support.

I can run the eithernet cable from the slingbox to the router with no problem and I did.  The slingbox gets a signal but I have no connection from my hard wired computer right next to this area or any of my wireless laptops....very strange that they all show a signal but I cannot get to my homepage on any.

That's really weird.  Maybe try rebooting the router and the computers?  Prehaps something happend to the DHCP leases or the wireless connections aren't quite in sync.

I am only interested in watching channels my provider offers at this point anyway.  

Good to hear.  Have fun Sling'n