7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2011 7:53 AM by mon1 RSS

Can not get my Slingbox AV to work all of a sudden.

Rudely

Hello all, I am having a problem with my slingbox AV.  I have had it set up for several years and used it on my windows mobile cell phones and several laptops with no problems.  Now I have a motorolla Droid.  I got the new sling player app for 30 bucks!!!   and it says AFTER  I bought it.  This  app doesnt support your slingbox!   I sdo some research and find out I need to update my AV's firmware.  I do that and it works. Pretty chopy compared to what  I am used to but it works.   A week later all of a sudden it wont connect any more.  I come home and check the  cables and all connection settings.  nothing has changed.  the network light is OFF.  the power light is on.   I have even tried the reset button  nothing happenss.   I have held it in 5+ seconds, same thing.  nothing. the power light and the network lights dont flash like it says they will.   Could that firmware upgrade sh*Tcanned my slingbox?     anyone have any ideas?     thanks in advance.    

• Re: Can not get my Slingbox AV to work all of a sudden.
          eferz Expert

Rudely wrote:

I come home and check the  cables and all connection settings.  nothing has changed.  the network light is OFF.  the power light is on.   I have even tried the reset button  nothing happenss.   I have held it in 5+ seconds, same thing.  nothing. the power light and the network lights dont flash like it says they will.   Could that firmware upgrade sh*Tcanned my slingbox?     anyone have any ideas?     thanks in advance.    

The lack of the network light is an indication that it cannot get a DHCP  IP address from your router.  It would be a good idea to check another  port on the router too see the problem isn't the associated to the  router itself.

As I understand it is not entirely uncommon for malfunctioning AC adapter to cause the symproms that you've described.  On the bottom of the Slingbox AV, you should see the power requirements; voltage, amps, and polarity.  If you have a compatible power supply then you can test it with your Slingbox to see if there's any change.

Unfortunately, if none of these helps you to determine the source of the problem, then most likely the Slingbox AV would need to be replaced.

mon1

Nice to know about the AC adaptor I'll try that, thanks. My Slingbox AV has been non-fuctional for three months except for a couple of days after working relatively well for a couple of years.

cullens

I'm glad that worked for you.  I have the same problem, but I didn't do the firmware upgrade.  One day just a few weeks ago it stopped.  So, I ordered an OE power supply from Slingbox, didn't want to trust any aftermarket ones....but it didn't work with mine.  So now I have an extra $20 power supply for a slingbox I can't get to work.  Anyone else have any ideas what to do?

jshear

My slingbox solo stopped working yesterday. The red power light is blinking slow and I have tried another power adapter. The reset does not work now too. This is strange as it was working fine before that. My warrenty period is up as my solo is over a year old. I loved my slingbox solo. I wonder why it stopped working all of sudden?

Thanks

Jeff

mon1

It turned out one of my SlingLink boxes died. I bought a new set of the SlingLink Turbo and everything is back to normal. That after a lot of router and network troubleshooting.