18 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2015 5:15 PM by dmd3home RSS

What is the best wired Sling Player?

dmd3home Newbie

As I have mentioned previously, Sling was the best thing since sliced bread for the first year I had it.....fantastic. I could watch my live or recorded HD TV anywhere as if  I was sitting in my living room. I wanted the best possible experience so I purchased a WD media play device for two locations and, I think, a Netgear device for another location that I frequent (I have left those devices in those locations and don't recall the specifics on each). Also to ensure optimum playback I have 50 mbs internet and gigabit wiring in all locations. As I said, it was beautiful the first year (about two years ago) but in the last year it has deteriorated significantly. I can't stay connected at any location. I can't watch ANYTHING as it has to be reconnected every 4 mins or so. This is extremely frustrating to say the least! But, strangely enough, my iPad will connect and maintain the connection with very few problems in each location....and, of course, that's doing so wirelessly! How can the iPad maintain a much better connection than the wired devices? A work around is to connect via the iPad and then use Chromecast on the TV to get it back to the big screen. But, the Chromecast sometimes loses its connection with the TV (though the iPad maintains its Sling connection) so I again lose my video stream to the TV.

I am willing to purchase whatever is necessary for the optimum Sling connection! But, so far, I am disappointed with the wired devices I've used. What is the BEST WIRED SLING RECEIVER? ...................But, it's still strange that all my wired devices seemed to work well the first year I had them. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

D

• Re: What is the best wired Sling Player?
          anthony.sling Apprentice

Hey Dan,

If you are looking for the same functionality of the WD player and the NetGear NEO TV then you may want to look into getting the Amazon Fire TV. The Amazon Fire TV has the same application as the WD player and the Netgear NEO TV.

You could also try using the Apple TV, Roku, or ChromeCast. These connected devices will work as well. To use these devices, you will utilize a casting feature from the mobile devices. Below are our FAQs for these connected devices:

Hope this answered your question!

Anthony

dmd3home Newbie

Thanks for the reply.....but, this doesn't seem to be what I'm talking about....is it?  Does Amazon Fire TV connect through the internet to my Sling 350 at home? Is it a wired media streamer? It looks like it only does "Sling TV"....which I'm not interested in. I only want to watch my DVR located at my home. On it I have everything I want including all the live TV I'm interested in. What does "Sling TV" offer that I don't already have?

I'm hoping to have an all wired system for the best possible result. I have the luxury of fast internet and all gigabit wiring to whatever device I choose that supports Sling and then an HDMI connection to the TV.....no phone or tablet using wifi back and forth. 

I had such a setup with my original WD TV Live. It's wired via an ethernet cable and then HDMI to the TV it has a built in Sling app. This should be the best method ever for direct, high speed, streaming to the TV. It was for the first year I used it. Ever since, it's been unusable as it keeps losing the connection. I'm having the same problem at another residence too using a Netgear/ Sling streaming device. All my hardwired devices keep losing the connection. But, my iPad seems to hold the connection pretty well.

How can an iPad hold the connection better than a wired device? The iPad relies on WiFi!

But, I want to watch on my big screen, not an iPad.    I've tried using my iPad and Chromecast with some results.....but the Chromecast often loses the connection with the TV.

I'm tired of buying devices hoping they'll work I have 3 WD TV Live boxes, a Netgear media player and I think a Sony none of which stay connected anymore (they did the first year I used them...and my iPad stays connected even now). So, I'm hoping someone has some experience with (or there are some reviews of) wired media players with Sling Apps. Which holds the Sling connect best? 

Thanks, 

Dan

To: Dan Davies <dmdavies@sbcglobal.net>

Sent: Monday, June 1, 2015 3:50 PM

Subject: Re:  - What is the best wired Sling Player?

reply from anthony.sling in Networking your Slingbox 350 - View the full discussionHey Dan,

If you are looking for the same functionality of the WD player and the NetGear NEO TV then you may want to look into getting the Amazon Fire TV. This has the same application that the WD player and the Netgear NEO TV. You could also try using the Apple TV, Roku, or ChromeCast. These connected devices will work as well. To use these devices, you will utilize a casting feature from the mobile devices. Below are our FAQs for these connected devices:   

- Slingbox.com - Slingplayer for Amazon Fire TV FAQ

- Slingbox.com - How to watch your Slingbox on a TV

- Slingbox.com - Frequently asked questions about SlingPlayer for Roku

- Slingbox.com - Frequently asked questions about SlingPlayer for Chromecast

Hope this answered your question!Anthony

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in Networking your Slingbox 350 by email or at Slingbox Answers Forum

Following What is the best wired Sling Player? in these streams: Inbox

anthony.sling Apprentice

I understand what you are looking for, and it sounds like the Amazon Fire TV is the device that you want. The Amazon Fire TV has a similar SlingPlayer application installed as the WD TV does. With the Amazon Fire TV, you can view the Slingbox 350, Slingbox 500, and Slingbox M1 where ever you have an internet connection and a TV to hook-up the Amazon Fire TV. The Amazon Fire TV offers WiFi capabilities as well as an Ethernet port on the back to plug it into your network. Check out our SlingPlayer for Amazon Fire TV FAQ page, it is linked below:

Sling Television is not affiliated with Sling Media. I do not have any information on this service. To learn more about Sling TV, visit there site at sling.com. The link below speaks briefly of Sling TV and has a link to their official support site:

dmd3home Newbie

Thanks again Anthony.

I will definitely look at the Amazon Fire TV. As I am a "Prime" member there are other benefits as well. 

But, again, my real concern is maintaining the Sling connection to my home DVR. What is the BEST device to maintain a good connection? As you can see, I'm accumulating a collection of devices all of which, so far, seem to drop the connection every few minutes. Yet my iPad can hold the connection fine. This would indicate that the Slingbox 350 is doing its job fine and the problem is at the receiving end with the wired media streaming devices. This problem exists in 3 different locations with 3 separate ISPs so I know it's not an internet problem (besides, the iPad works fine in all locations).  Which wired streaming device has the best, rock solid connection to the Slingbox 350? I'm tired of spending hundreds of dollars doing trial and error. 

Thanks,

Dan

Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 10:05 AM

reply from anthony.sling in Networking your Slingbox 350 - View the full discussionI understand what you are looking for, and it sounds like the Amazon Fire TV is the device that you want. The Amazon Fire TV has a similar SlingPlayer application installed as the WD TV does. With the Amazon Fire TV, you can view the Slingbox 350, Slingbox 500, and Slingbox M1 where ever you have an internet connection and a TV to hook-up the Amazon Fire TV. The Amazon Fire TV offers WiFi capabilities as well as an Ethernet port on the back to plug it into your network. Check out our SlingPlayer for Amazon Fire TV FAQ page, it is linked below:  

- Slingbox.com - Slingplayer for Amazon Fire TV FAQ

Sling Television is not affiliated with Sling Media. I do not have any information on this service. To learn more about Sling TV, visit there site at sling.com. The link below speaks briefly of Sling TV and has a link to their official support site:  

- Slingbox.com - What is Sling Television/Sling TV?

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in Networking your Slingbox 350 by email or at Slingbox Answers Forum

anthony.sling Apprentice

Great!

The issue you are having may not be an issue with the device that you are using. I would recommend setting up a port forwarding rule on your router to optimize the stream of the Slingbox 350. You will need to open port 5201 for the IP address of the Slingbox on your router. The link below should help explain what port forwarding is, and then guide you to another website that has a walkthrough of how to set up port forwarding on your specific router:

dmd3home Newbie

Anthony....you are great! Thanks for continuing with this.

Yes, I set up port forwarding on a previous router for security cameras....though I struggled through it. When I have time I'll further explore this option....thanks. Could get a bit complicated as I don't use a traditional router...it's kind of a commercial unit: Netgear Prosafe VPN Firewall FVS318G. It has "port triggering" settings but I can't find port forwarding.....not real sure how to go about it here. I'll check the website. Hopefully they can help.

Certainly a "dedicated channel" (port fowarding) would seem the best approach.....but, again, how does the iPad stay connected without incident? That is why I pretty much ruled out porting issues on the router. Obviously it's porting through fine to the iPad. It just seems that there is an issue on the receiving end. Right?

Thanks again,

Dan

From: anthony.sling <answers@slingmedia.com>

Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 5:35 PM

reply from anthony.sling in Networking your Slingbox 350 - View the full discussionGreat!The issue you are having may not be an issue with the device that you are using. I would recommend setting up a port forwarding rule on your router to optimize the stream of the Slingbox 350. You will need to open port 5201 for the IP address of the Slingbox on your router. The link below should help explain what port forwarding is, and then guide you to another website that has a walkthrough of how to set up port forwarding on your specific router:  

- Slingbox.com - What's port forwarding/port mapping?

anthony.sling Apprentice

I just checked out portfoward.com(this is mentioned in the link in my last comment), and they have your model in the list with a guide on how to port forward the Slingbox. From what I can see, the page you are looking for is just called "Services" under "Security."

The Slingbox, when streaming to certain devices, needs to use a stronger streaming type. We really like to see the Slingbox stream over TCP but sometimes see it streaming over Relay or SNATT. TCP(Transmission Control Protocol) is the newest connection mode, and offers the most secure, and strongest connection. Relay and SNATT are older streaming methods, and do not really have a very strong connection With your iPad, it can stream in Relay or SNATT without much problem. Normally when streaming with the Slingbox, we would like to see TCP. Port forwarding the Slingbox would allow for TCP streaming outside of your home network.

dmd3home Newbie

Again, many thanks!

Actually I have begun pursuing this and was surprised to see my router listed. However, the user interface is COMPLETELY different than the one pictured in the link...not even close!....not really my router!  Mine appears far different than any router I've ever configured.

That said, I'm struggling to get through it anyway. You just cleared up the TCP vs UDP choice I was trying to figure out...apparently I need to select TCP. But the other problem I see is that the first step of the procedure has you establish a static ip address and then gives methods of doing so on a computer. This doesn't seem to apply...not sure how the computer fits in. I assume we need a static ip on the Slingbox....but the router will want to assign it a new address whenever it is powered up. Is there a way to get into the Slingbox to give it a fixed ip? Is it already fixed? What is it? I can see many devices but don't know which it is.....guess I could go unplug it and see what goes away.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help in setting this up!!!! I've been fighting with this problem for the last 18 months.

Thanks,

Dan

Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 7:01 PM

reply from anthony.sling in Networking your Slingbox 350 - View the full discussionI just checked out portfoward.com(this is mentioned in the link in my last comment), and they have you model in the list with a guide on how to port forward the Slingbox. From what I can see, the page you are looking for is just called "Services" under "Security." The Slingbox, when streaming to certain devices, needs to use a stronger streaming type. We really like to see the Slingbox stream over TCP but sometimes see it streaming over Relay or SNATT. TCP(Transmission Control Protocol) is the newest connection mode, and offers the most secure, and strongest connection. Relay and SNATT are older streaming methods, and do not really have a very strong connection With your iPad, it can stream in Relay or SNATT without much problem. Normally when streaming with the Slingbox, we would like to see TCP. Port forwarding the Slingbox would allow for TCP streaming outside of your home network.

dmd3home Newbie

OK, I may now have it! As I said, my interface was quite a bit different but I muddled through and set things the way I THINK they should be. I selected TCP and maximum reliability (or should I have selected max throughput?) I've opened 5201 as you suggested (although the guide says 5001) for incoming and outgoing. And I've tested the port with canyouseeme.org and it shows open!

But, this ip address thing is still an issue....though in the settings I set it to use a range: 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.249 (not real sure what I was doing here). But, of course, it seems like it would be better for the Slinbox to have a fixed ip.

Now, is there a good way to test it? .....guess I could test it on my lan? I will be in Florida in a few weeks....that will be the real test....but that's when I NEED it to work....hard to make adjustments from there.

Again, thank you so much for staying with me on this......I sure hope this solves the problem.

Much gratitude!

Dan

Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 7:01 PM

reply from anthony.sling in Networking your Slingbox 350 - View the full discussionI just checked out portfoward.com(this is mentioned in the link in my last comment), and they have you model in the list with a guide on how to port forward the Slingbox. From what I can see, the page you are looking for is just called "Services" under "Security." The Slingbox, when streaming to certain devices, needs to use a stronger streaming type. We really like to see the Slingbox stream over TCP but sometimes see it streaming over Relay or SNATT. TCP(Transmission Control Protocol) is the newest connection mode, and offers the most secure, and strongest connection. Relay and SNATT are older streaming methods, and do not really have a very strong connection With your iPad, it can stream in Relay or SNATT without much problem. Normally when streaming with the Slingbox, we would like to see TCP. Port forwarding the Slingbox would allow for TCP streaming outside of your home network.

anthony.sling Apprentice

Hey Dan,

Sorry I haven't responded in a few days, I have been out of the office. To test the Slingbox, I would just go to a neighbors house or a relative if there is one close enough that has internet access.

You may want to use see if you can narrow down the IP range that you have opened.

Hope everything is working now!

Anthony

dmd3home Newbie

Indeed I would like to narrow down the ip range....I'd like to set a specific ip. But my router could assign the Slingbox to any address (1-250). Is there a way to set the Slingbox to a fixed ip within my lan? 

I haven't had an opportunity to test it outside my own network.

You did say to open 5201, rather than the 5001 suggested in the guide.....hmmm why the difference?

I'm not sure though what I have accomplished. Sure, I've opened up the 5201 port, that I know, but now will Sling automatically push all throughput through that path? Or, will it just choose the path it used before? It seems there should be some Sling settings to take advantage of these changes.

Also, in the port settings on the router, as I mentioned before, there are two settings...one for "max reliability" and one for "max throughput", which do you suggest?  I set it for "max reliability", but now I'm thinking it should be for "max throughput".

Again, many, many thanks....I should be close to having this dialed in.

Dan

Sent: Thursday, June 4, 2015 10:04 AM

reply from anthony.sling in Networking your Slingbox 350 - View the full discussionHey Dan, Sorry I haven't responded in a few days, I have been out of the office. To test the Slingbox, I would just go to a neighbors house or a relative if there is one close enough that has internet access. You may want to use see if you can narrow down the IP range that you have opened. Hope everything is working now!Anthony

anthony.sling Apprentice

Your router has assigned an IP address to your Slingbox. There should be a client list somewhere on the router page that shows all devices connected to it. Most of the time there is a name to identify which device is which. If there is not a name, you could try matching the MAC address on the bottom label of the Slingbox to the ones in the client list to find out what the IP address of the Slingbox.

The guide is directed towards our legacy Slingbox units. The older units used port 5001, where the Slingbox 350 and Slingbox 500 use 5201.

As for "max throughput" vs. "max reliability", that is beyond me. I can't seem to find much information on it from our end. You may need to consult NetGear support to find out what the difference between those 2 settings are.

dmd3home Newbie

So the Slingbox will retain the same ip address always? Doesn't the dhcp assign it a new address each time it's powered up?

Yes, I found the Slingbox in the router via the mac address (no name)...had about 30 components listed to go through. So I went in and put that specific ip address in for all the settings. Still, the above questions still looms ......does it keep that address indefinitely? If it changes, none of this will work. Right? 

Also, I changed the setting from "max reliability" to "max throughput", assuming that changing all these settings and opening up 5201 will take care of any reliability issues.

Thanks,

Dan

Sent: Friday, June 5, 2015 5:01 PM

reply from anthony.sling in Networking your Slingbox 350 - View the full discussionYour router has assigned an IP address to your Slingbox. There should be a client list somewhere on the router page that shows all devices connected to it. Most of the time there is a name to identify which device is which. If there is not a name, you could try matching the MAC address on the bottom label of the Slingbox to the ones in the client list to find out what the IP address of the Slingbox. The guide is directed towards our legacy Slingbox units. The older units used port 5001, where the Slingbox 350 and Slingbox 500 use 5201. As for "max throughput" vs. "max reliability", that is beyond me. I can't seem to find much information on it from our end. You may need to consult NetGear support to find out what the difference between those 2 settings are.

dmd3home Newbie

Another question!

See previous email about dhcp and ip.

But. now I'm seeing issues with playback on my Windows 8.1 laptop. It's a new computer and I just got things set up. I installed the Sling player and have the Sling icon on my desktop....at least I thought it was the Sling icon. When I click it I get a window for the Chrome installer and it wants to know if I want to modify the setup. But, my only choices are "repair", "Uninstall", or "Close". Well, I really don't want any of those...I just want to open the program.

The only option is to "Repair". When I choose that a window appears that says "Please Quit Google Chrome browser to continue...". But, Chrome isn't running! Well, if you go into the task manager you can see 7 or 8, I guess, Chrome extensions running. I select one and "end task", and then another. But, they reappear almost as fast as I can end them....it's a race to close them all out. Then, the "repair" can run and then Sling opens up and I can connect and all is good.

Obviously though, this is not the right approach. What could be wrong with my install on my Windows 8.1 laptop? Chrome is my go to browser and I do have lots running on it, but it's not even open. The desktop icon says it's "SlingPlayer for Chrome, but everytime you open it it wants to "Repair", Uninstall", or "Close". What could be wrong?

Thanks again,

Dan

Sent: Friday, June 5, 2015 5:01 PM

reply from anthony.sling in Networking your Slingbox 350 - View the full discussionYour router has assigned an IP address to your Slingbox. There should be a client list somewhere on the router page that shows all devices connected to it. Most of the time there is a name to identify which device is which. If there is not a name, you could try matching the MAC address on the bottom label of the Slingbox to the ones in the client list to find out what the IP address of the Slingbox. The guide is directed towards our legacy Slingbox units. The older units used port 5001, where the Slingbox 350 and Slingbox 500 use 5201. As for "max throughput" vs. "max reliability", that is beyond me. I can't seem to find much information on it from our end. You may need to consult NetGear support to find out what the difference between those 2 settings are.

anthony.sling Apprentice

Sorry for the delay.

The Slingbox is always powered on. It should keep the network settings as long as the Slingbox and router keep power.

It sounds like you have the Slingplayer for Desktop 5.0 installed. You could try uninstalling the program and then reinstall it. You can also watch the Slingbox 350 from our website. Below are links to reinstall the Slingplayer for Desktop 5.0, and where you can view the Slingbox 350 on our website:

The link to install the Slingplayer for Desktop 5.0 does say Slingbox M1 setup, but it is the same program.

Hope this helps!

dmd3home Newbie

Hmmm....I only power up my Sling when I'm going somewhere....it may be unplugged for a few months at a time...can't see using the elec or burning up the device when it's not being used at all......hmmmm.

Besides, I have my modem and router set to do an auto reboot every night....clears things out and establishes a clean connection. This is especially necessary when I'm at a remote residence and can't be there to clear up any connection issues. 

And, what if the power went off and then came back....same issue...would the router assign the Sling a new ip and then it not work through 5201? In my recent observations though it always seems to come back to the same ip address....any way to make that permanent?

OK, now the Sling for Chrome issue....this is frustrating:

As I said, I installed Sling for Chrome on my PC laptop...at least I thought I did. When I try to open it, it comes up  "Modify Setup" ...."Repair, Uninstall, Close". Well, of those options I'll choose "repair". Then I get the user account control and say yes, then the Slingplayer installer comes up and tries to install. But, it only gets part way and then a window pops up: "Please quit Google Chrome browser to complete" ....I click OK (actually Chrome is not running...but OK). But, the window keeps popping up....but Chrome isn't running, but I'm in a continuous loop! I go into task manager and verify that it's not running...it's not. But, if you look at processes running you see 9 different chrome.exe processes going. I start closing those processes one at a time (you have to be fast because they reappear after a few seconds) until finally I get them all closed out....then the "repair...or re-install continues and actually Sling opens up and works fine. But it's a real race to the finish to get it to work. And, also, Chrome pops up a notice that it didn't shut down properly and should be restarted. I have had to go through this process every time I wanted to use Sling on my laptop! It's doable....but what a pain!

And, you run into the same problem if you try to uninstall. Thought I'd try to start clean and uninstall and start over. You can't even uninstall because it says chrome needs to be closed down....but it is closed down! So, again, it's a race in processes to stop all 9 processes one at a time to get it to uninstall. But then you go to add the program again and you run into the same problem.  

I also tried to install Sling for Chrome on my desktop PC.....same result! Oh, BTW, FYI, my laptop is a Windows 8.1 machine and my desktop is a Windows 7.....if that matters

There is clearly something wrong here with the install process. But perhaps it's just with Chrome. What are my other options for using Sling with my laptop? Again, what works best?

Thanks again,

Dan

Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2015 10:00 AM

reply from anthony.sling in Networking your Slingbox 350 - View the full discussionSorry for the delay. The Slingbox is always powered on. It should keep the network settings as long as the Slingbox and router keep power. It sounds like you have the Slingplayer for Desktop 5.0 installed. You could try uninstalling the program and then reinstall it. You can also watch the Slingbox 350 from our website. Below are links to reinstall the Slingplayer for Desktop 5.0, and where you can view the Slingbox 350 on our website:   

- Slingbox.com - Slingbox M1 Setup

- Watch on Slingbox.com

The link to install the Slingplayer for Desktop 5.0 does say Slingbox M1 setup, but it is the same program. Hope this helps!

anthony.sling Apprentice

The Slingbox scans the network for an open port starting at port 5201. It should stay with that port as long as there is not another device that is using that port. We do not have any instructions on how to do this, but you can attempt to assign the Slingbox a static IP address through the router.

The problem that it sounds like you are having with Google Chrome, is a problem we have been seeing with Google Chrome. When closing the program it acts as if it is closing, but many of the processes stay open in the background. The only thing I can recommend for that is what you have already done by opening the task manager and closing the processes. You could take a look at this link directly below, it has a direct link to install the Google Chrome extension:

You could try using another browser. We do support the use of Internet Explorer and Google Chrome as well. Or, you could try the standalone desktop application I linked in my previous reply. The Slingplayer for Desktop player does say that it only supports the Slingbox M1, but that is only for configuration. You can still view all other Slingboxs on this program. Below, there is another link to an article that explains the different browsers and operating systems we currently support:

dmd3home Newbie

OK....again, thanks for keeping with me on this. 

I managed to uninstall the player for Chrome on both my Windows machines that both had the installation problems. It was a chore to even uninstall. I ended up having to uninstall the whole Chrome program on my laptop.

But, I did install the stand alone Windows program on both machines and it seems to work well.

My router and Slingbox have now both been rebooted several times and the Slingbox seems to always come back to the same ip address....so, all is looking good!

Now I need to get out somewhere and try it remotely...that is the true test. And, to try it on one of my streaming devices. I'm still open to the Amazon Fire TV if you think it's the best stand alone player. I still like the idea of being wired for the best streaming. What do you think?  But, the remote on screen with the computer playback is nice too.

Thanks again for all your help and staying with me all this time. You have been a tremendous asset and I can't thank you enough!

Dan 

Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2015 2:20 PM

reply from anthony.sling in Networking your Slingbox 350 - View the full discussionThe Slingbox scans the network for an open port starting at port 5201. It should stay with that port as long as there is not another device that is using that port. We do not have any instructions on how to do this, but you can attempt to assign the Slingbox a static IP address through the router. The problem that it sounds like you are having with Google Chrome, is a problem we have been seeing with Google Chrome. When closing the program it acts as if it is closing, but many of the processes stay open in the background. The only thing I can recommend for that is what you have already done by opening the task manager and closing the processes. You could take a look at this link directly below, it has a direct link to install the Google Chrome extension:  

- Slingbox.com - Install loop with Slingplayer for Google Chrome

You could try using another browser. We do support the use of Internet Explorer and Google Chrome as well. Or, you could try the standalone desktop application I linked in my previous reply. The Slingplayer for Desktop player does say that it only supports the Slingbox M1, but that is only for configuration. You can still view all other Slingboxs on this program. Below, there is another link to an article that explains the different browsers and operating systems we currently support:  

- Slingbox.com - What browsers are supported by Watch on Slingbox.com?