6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2010 9:18 PM by eferz RSS

Modem crashes

wshepard19 Newbie

My slingbox pro-hd that is connected through a router is causing the modem that it's hooked up through to crash (shut down and reboots)  It does it more frequently  the higher you go up in channels and when you get up to the 800 channel mark(Hd) it crashes much faster,   Also if someone is on the house phone it crashes almost rightaway.  The telephone line is connected through the modem also.   The modem is an older modem...not sure exactly but deff. a few years old. Has anyone had problems with this before? Is the modem problem, too old and not able to handle this, will a new modem moslt likely fix the this?

• Re: Modem crashes
          eferz Expert

wshepard19 wrote:

My slingbox pro-hd that is connected through a router is causing the modem that it's hooked up through to crash (shut down and reboots)  It does it more frequently  the higher you go up in channels and when you get up to the 800 channel mark(Hd) it crashes much faster,   Also if someone is on the house phone it crashes almost rightaway.  The telephone line is connected through the modem also.   The modem is an older modem...not sure exactly but deff. a few years old. Has anyone had problems with this before? Is the modem problem, too old and not able to handle this, will a new modem moslt likely fix the this?

Wait are you using one of those old school analog modems?  You know the one where you can hear the beeps, whizzes, and screetches you pickup a phone.   Or is it one  of those new fangled DSL broadband modems?

If its old school then certainly then when someone picks up the phone, it will break communication.  There's just no way around that.  If its new  fangled then you should make sure that the DSL filters are installed on  every phone jack that has a phone, fax, answering machine, or any other  analog phone device.  Those filters are necessary to prevent an analog device from interferring with your digital  broadband experience.

wshepard19 Newbie

No, the slingbox is a new pro-hd box, no beeps or noices...etc.  I actually finally had it crash also without having the phone ring or while talking on it.  I got the modem to crash while on an 800 upper level comcast channel higher freq..   Right now we are thinking the modem can't handle it due to being an older modem.  My stepfather is going to switch out the box with comcasts newer higher end modems, a co-worker at work said their newer modems can handle more and are faster.  I'm hoping this works b/c right now it seems to be something from the slingbox to the modem as the tv that its hooked up to isn't affected when the modem drops out.  Thanks for the advice on the filters also, I will look into that also but I know that isn't the main cause right now b/c I did have the modem go offline and reboot without having someone on the phone at the house.  It may show up though as a second problem once the modem is fixed, we will see and I will take a look at that also.  Thanks!

Bryanod Novice

Most comcast cable modem's gui is accessable from your pc. type 192.168.100.1 in a browser.

Find your signal strengths and compare them to this

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/comcast/2.1_Modems#16085

wshepard19 Newbie

Problem seems to be solved now,  We upgraded to a new modem, old one was actually they said about 7 years old, it was a docsis2, now we have one of the newer modems out there and its a docsis 3.  So far no problems with it, modem is not shutting down.  I actually talked to sling help today before we changed anything and the lady said it shouldn't have been the modem. She was helpful and thought it was not enough bandwith from our cable provider.  However, that wasn't the case it was just an old modem that either was going bad or just couldn't handle the bandwidth. So if you hook your slingbox up and you seem to freeze up or get booted, watch your modem when your playing to see what happens.  Ours would completely shut down and reboot at higher streams as High def channels, or when a phone call would come in while watching. At lower streams it would happen but it took alot longer and the modem wouldn't reboot, your screen would just freeze at lower streams (not high def) and sometimes you would get booted from watching.  It was a bit confusing b/c at the lower stream the modem wouldn't shut down and reboot, and we wouldn't have thought it was the modem b/c the modem looked like it was working ok, but it actually was the cause. We were only led to think it was the modem only b/c we saw what the modem did(shut down/reboot) when it was running high def/phone call coming in (high bandwith). So if you have freezing up problems or getting kicked off and shut off, check your modem it could also be the problem not the slingbox.  Just remember if you make any major changes, modem, or router, you will need to fully reset your slingbox and reconfigure it so it works streaming over the net for your phone or computer.  Hope this solves someone elses problem.

wshepard19 Newbie

Modem was the problem