1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 5, 2010 7:58 AM by aelc1 RSS

Slingbox Solo Potential New Buyer Questions

aelc1

Good Afternoon all,

To all you exsisting Sling Solo customers I just have a few questions to ask before I do make the plung to become a part of the Sling "Family" you could say.

1) Does the Slingbox Solo work with Televisions that have built in Freeview. Does it allow you to watch all of the Freeview channel's that are available?

2) Does the Slingbox Solo work with Apple TV? I have read some places that you need the Slingbox PRO-HD for you to enable to watch your Apple TV.

3) What minimum upload/download speed from experience do you need for viewing on PC/Mac/iPhone. When I say "viewing" I mean actually watchable not pixcelated or constantly buffering etc.

4) If used with to watch Sky Channels, when changing channels on the devices you are watching the channels on, does this change the channels on the TV that the Slingbox is connect to also?

5) Not really a question I am bothered about as I have a iPhone 4 which i primarily will use to watch TV on etc, is there word of an iPad app to be released for the Sling products.

I appreciate any answers posted in advance .

aelc_1.

• Re: Slingbox Solo Potential New Buyer Questions
          eferz Expert

aelc1 wrote:

1) Does the Slingbox Solo work with Televisions that have built in Freeview. Does it allow you to watch all of the Freeview channel's that are available?

The Slingbox will work with any device that has compatible signal ouputs.  The Slingbox Solo will accept component, S-Video, and composite video inputs and analog audio inputs (red and white).  The only question of compatibility is the IR blasters functionality with third-party devices.  You can find offical support with the following link (http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000164) and you can get custom remote support from the following link (http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000299.html).

2) Does the Slingbox Solo work with Apple TV? I have read some places that you need the Slingbox PRO-HD for you to enable to watch your Apple TV.

That depends on the functionality.  I don't believe there's a Slingplayer client available for the AppleTV to be able to watch the stream from any Slingbox.  However, you could connect the audio and video connections from the AppleTV into the Slingbox (except Slingbox Tuner, it only has coax inputs), so that they it be viewed on any Slingplayer client.

3) What minimum upload/download speed from experience do you need for viewing on PC/Mac/iPhone. When I say "viewing" I mean actually watchable not pixcelated or constantly buffering etc.

The Slingplayer (client) will always buffer the multimedia stream, this is to reduce glitches in playback in the event of dropped packets.  The Slingbox (server) also employs SlingStream technology.  This allows it to dynamically adjust the parameters of the encoding stream to give you the best possible picture under your current conditions.

These are the minimum requirements for streaming.

• HD Streaming: 3 Mbps or higher (only available with Slingbox Pro-HD)
          • SD Streaming: 600 Kbps or higher
          • Mobile Streaming: 150 Kbps or higher

4) If used with to watch Sky Channels, when changing channels on the devices you are watching the channels on, does this change the channels on the TV that the Slingbox is connect to also?

It depends on which Slingbox and how it is implemented with your home enterainment system.  The Slingbox isn't a magical device, it can only rebroadcast what it "sees" and "hears".  So, if your equipment supports segregated autonomous outputs, like some DirecTV or Dish Satellite Receivers, then you could easily change channels without affecting the television.  However, if you don't then the Slingbox Pro in the UK has a built-in Freeview tuner.  If you watch televisin through the built-in tuner then it wouldn't affect television if setup properly.

5) Not really a question I am bothered about as I have a iPhone 4 which i primarily will use to watch TV on etc, is there word of an iPad app to be released for the Sling products.

Sling Media only gives updates to upcoming products, upgrades, and release dates through press releases.  They aren't allowed to reveal any of that sort of information within this forum.  So, far as we know, Sling Media is currently working on an iPad specific Slingplayer Mobile client.  You can check on this thread (https://community.sling.com/message/6406#6406) for related information.  I've been updating it with iPad related information.