11 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2015 12:52 PM by robkeffer RSS

HDCP

robkeffer

can someone please help me with this...? would GREATLY appreciate it. i have read some forums on renew/release stuff...done that. router page says it supports hdcp and shows it allows proper clients. still does not function properly.  the thing that really gets me is that sometimes i can get video, sometimes i cant. i am only concerned on getting slinbox to my phone...iphone 6plus....thanks if you can help

• Re: HDCP
          stanley.sling Apprentice

Hello Rob,

HDCP is actually a form of copyright protection that exists in home cableboxes that blocks video through HDMI to unsupported A/V equipment. A router shouldn't have anything to do with HDCP as a router is not an A/V device and should not have an HDMI port on it.

That being said, can you run a speed test on your home network by navigating to www.speedtest.net and clicking on "Being Test"?

Let me know what your download/upload speeds are for your home network.

- Stan

robkeffer

Ty for replying. I'm greatfull. I did test past 3 days. Averaging 18/19

download. 5/6 upload. Comcast blast I think..?

stanley.sling Apprentice

Okay. Well you're speeds are most certainly excellent. Is there an HDMI cable plugged into the back of your cablebox going to a TV or anything?

robkeffer

Well sling box 350. So av connections there. Dish network, hopper, hdmi

from there to tv. What really gets me, it works say 30% time. Never really

had this prob until recently.

stanley.sling Apprentice

Try to get that HDMI cable removed, reboot the cablebox and see if the issue reoccurs.

robkeffer

So ur suggesting when I want to sling to my phone, to switch receiver

connections to AV. Reset.  Then when at home, switch back? If so, all good

and will try this tonight. And if that's the prob, I can work with that

stanley.sling Apprentice

Well, I really just want to see what happens when you unplug the HDMI and reboot the cablebox. I suspect you could be running into copyright protection and this is really the only way to test for it.

robkeffer

I must say, I used my sling box all night last night with zero interruptions. I find it weird that a hdmi cable does this. It's still same box and everything. Just weird to me. With that being said, I thank you for your help on enjoying this product that I have come frustrated with as of recently.

Sent from a Legand

stanley.sling Apprentice

Well now that we're pretty sure that copyright protection is the issue here, you'll want to plug a second set of component cables (red, blue, green, white, and additional red) from the OUT ports of the Slingbox to the IN on your TV. This is known as a "component passthrough" hookup and this will allow you to maintain picture on the TV without needing to utilize that HDMI cable.

robkeffer

Ahhh I get it. Just unplug my hdmi. Reset. Everything else is already set

up. Will let you know