13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2010 3:07 PM by orlandobrianc RSS

Clicking Sound When Muted

tvwillie

I am experiencing a "clicking sound" when my SlingBox HD is in "mute" position. I anyone else experiencing this same problem?

• Re: Clicking Sound When Muted
          eferz Expert

No.  That's not a common occurance.  Are you saying the Slingbox itself is clicking, or are they coming from your computer speakes, or possible a cricket snuck into your room?

tvwillie

I am sorry I misstated my problem. When the SlingBox volume is not muted and the volume is turned up but the Direct TV is in "pause mode" I hear the sound of a clicking noise. Enclosed is a short movie in which you can hear the sound. This problem does not occur when watching the same TV signal on my Sony Bravia display.

eferz Expert

Not, that's not common either.  Do you get the same issue from Web Slingplayer (http://watch.slingbox.com)?

tvwillie

Wow that was a long trip around when the 32 bit changeover and all. First time I ever did it through the Safari Browser using Snow, The answer to you question is "YES" and again I have included another short video to prove the problem.

eferz Expert

Care to give a movie grab of the stream statistics from both the Web Slingplayer and the Slingplayer Desktop?

• Web Slingplayer, you hold down [Ctrl] while pressing on the streaming video window.
                          • Slingplayer Desktop for Mac, holding down [Option] selecting View | Show Statistics
                              tvwillie

As requested here are the two Movies:

eferz Expert

Since you have a Slingbox Pro-HD, are you using the coax SPDIF (orange) or the Left (white) and Right (red) connectors?

Also, try the audio from a different input connectors.  Since the Slingbox has seperate audio inputs for high definition (component) and standard definition (S-Video & Composite) we should test to make sure it isn't the actual connector giving you problems.  Finally, if you have another computer or mobile device to test that on then we can eliminate if the problem is with the computer or the Slingbox.

tvwillie

I don't think that it is the cables. It even does it on my iPhone SlingbBox App (WiFi as opposed to Ethernet) although the timing is different { two clicks followed by a four second delay and then a repeat.

It does it louder on the right channel than the left.

It does not appear on the composite input, only on the componet input.

Notice on movie that the sound is mainly on right channel and only in component input, where I am using the SPDIF connections for this input.

Tonight when I go down to my business (restaurant0 Bud and Alley's Waterfront Restaurant and Rooftop Bar, Florida Restaurants, Great Food, Fabulous Cuisine, Award Winning, Finest Sunsets    I will check the situation down there where I will be off of my network lines and on another router.

Check out our web cam on the Gulf Of Mexico.

Thanks for your reply's, I will get back with you soon.

eferz Expert

tvwillie wrote:

It even does it on my iPhone SlingbBox App (WiFi as opposed to Ethernet) although the timing is different { two clicks followed by a four second delay and then a repeat.

Okay, this is good enough.  If its happening on both the iPhone and the computer then we can eliminate the issue being specific to the computer.

tvwillie wrote:

I don't think that it is the cables.

It does not appear on the composite input, only on the componet input.

Notice on movie that the sound is mainly on right channel and only in component input, where I am using the SPDIF connections for this input.

Okay from the description, it sounds like the we can focus troubleshooting on use of the coax SPDIF connection.  Provided that you do have the Red (right) and White (left) audio cables connected along with the Composte and S-Video with your DirecTV.

http://support.slingbox.com/docs/CP/3232/pro-hd-back.png

We want to make sure that the connectors on the HD input are okay by removing the coax SPDIF connection.  Instead connect the Red (right) and White (left) audio cables into the HD section and reconfigure the audio input in the Setup Assistant to use the analog audio.

Perform the tests again, if you still get the clicks then the problem is most likely internal to the Slingbox Pro-HD.  If you don't hear the clicks then connect the SPDIF directly to the TV and listen for the clicks.  If you still hear it them then try switching out the SPDIF cables.  If you don't then the problem is with the Slingbox Pro-HD.

BrandonC Novice

This is going to sound strange but are you using a SlingLink type of box with your Slingbox? I had one cause something similar to this and am curious.

Conservative

same issue here - very annoying...