4 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2015 3:25 PM by stanley.sling RSS

Sling media desktop program hangs in (Not responding) mode

etgarrison
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Is anyone else experiencing this condition since the latest update to the Sling Media desktop program?  I am running this program on two different computers, one an Asus laptop and the

other an Acer desktop.  Both are quite new running Windows 8.1.  Just about everytime I launch the Sling Media desktop program, it almost immediately goes into a (Not responding) state, and I

must exit the inactive Sling media desktop window, with Windows help, i.e. Windows pops up a box which asks me if I wish to continue to wait or exit the program.  I select the exit the program

option and Windows scans the situation and prompts that it is searching for a solution to my problem.  I never get any noted resolution from Windows to this (Not responding) state, but it does finally exit the program.  Upon relaunching the Sling media desktop program, it usually always works properly and I am able to link to my Slingbox and begin streaming successfully.  However, at some point the program pops up a message box indicating an "exception breakpoint" has been reached having occurred at some application location address. The message box asks if I wish to terminate the program.  I usually just ignore this message and exit the message box.  Everything continues from there on until I'm done streaming, as if nothing is wrong.

I chatted with Sling Media support about this problem, and they suggested I reinstall the program.  I have done that, but the problem still persists.  Does anyone know what is going on here?  I am able to continue to use the program to stream from my Slingbox devices, but it is sure annoying to have to go thru this contorted startup procedure every time.

• Re: Sling media desktop program hangs in (Not responding) mode
          stanley.sling Apprentice

Hello Evan,

First, I'd like you to start off by clearing out some temporary files/folders that could, potentially, be slowing your system down and causing this error. On your keyboard for the PC, hold the Windows key and press the "R" key. This will pull up the "Run" box for you. In the "Run" box, type in "%appdata%" and hit enter. This will open the "Appdata>Roaming" folder. Once you are in this folder, you are going to want to highlight and delete everything you can (it will prevent you from deleting any vital files/folders). After you have cleared everything you can out of "%appdata%, you will want to follow the previous steps once more but instead you will be clearing everything out of the "%temp%" folder.

After you have performed the steps above, you will want to restart the PC. Once the PC is back up and running, go ahead and relaunch the Slingplayer Desktop App and see if the issue persists.

Hope this helps! (But let me know if it doesn't )

- Stanley