12 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2015 6:26 PM by brookwatson RSS

Ads

vaughntippi4
    Visibility: Open to anyone

How do I get rid of the ads that now pop up when I log in to Slingbox?

I am forced to watch an ad before I can watch my programming.  There is also an ad running across the bottom of my screen.

Thoughts?

• Re: Ads
          taigablues

The latest web update sucks. It sucks bad. Unstable with chrome... ads.... pop up difficult to connect.... bad bad bad

I agree--so far the only thing I can do is click skip as soon as possible and the X on any other ads that pop up.  I downloaded something called google's double click opt out but I am\unsure how it works.  So far when I double click on the ad nothing happens.

taigablues

I'll also try this extension. It can be installed on chrome or ie.

In chrome all you have to do is check if the extension is activated (top right menu, parameters, extensions).

Not sure if this extension will work thought....

I've been launching Slingbox with Explorer that might be why the double click does not work.  I'll launch using Chrome and see if that works.  Thanks! 

ForD2

The only thing I know of that works is to block them entirely using one of two methods, both of which fall deeply into network nerd territory.

Block them at the router if you router has the ability to control domain level filtering rules.

Block them on your computer by editing the hosts file to route the domains to localhost.

If you don't know or cannot figure out those things - I'm not available to assist.  Please find a local computer networking person to assist you until a more practical solution becomes available.

Also, for your amusement :
                  Slingplayer Advertisements

I have a friend that might be able to help.  I did enjoy the link to another happy Sling customer.  Pretty funny.  Thanks for the ideas.

ACC6064429

I paid $500 for a Slingplayer 500. Now the Slingplayer app for chrome  is covered by advertising that I cannot remove. It has rendered Slingplayer unusable. Tech support says I need to pay to have them help. What a load of ****. I wish I could return this rip off.

brookwatson

SlingBox / SlingMedia...How dare you! You have cluttered my Sling Player with ads and now are forcing me to watch full commercials before I can access the SlingBox I paid for. I was an early adopter and one of your first customers. I have upgraded to new hardware several times. I have recommended you to countless friends and family. NO MORE!!!!

You have lost my faith and trust in you. I should not be forced to sit through an intrusive commercial to access a device I paid hundreds of dollars for, to access a TV service I pay for. When I purchased my SlingBoxes, I did NOT agree to your greedy advertising money grab. Your new intrusive advertising has lost me as a customer.

I will be ripping out all my Sling devices and replacing with something that does not force UNWANTED ads.

futurefile

Oh, I'm livid about this.  I was an early adopter, too.  I have also purchased the app which thankfully is without ads.  I'll pay for the darn desktop software if I have to.  But I am unhappy with the ads.

Also, I want to be able to remove that entire tool bar from the bottom of the window.  It takes up too much space.  I want an option for a 'clean' window that I can park in the corner of the screen or separate display, without all the ad **** (apparently an adjective which rhymes with trap is too much for this heavily censored forum.  Give me a break), which I don't pay attention to and will NEVER influence my decision to use their products.  HINT, HINT, Mr. Corporate ad sponsor.  I want a pure window.  Clean.  No borders. No tools.  I'll say that this lack in the preference settings drives me crazier than the ad which, at least, goes away at the start.  The toolbar is forever, short of going fullscreen.

mudtoe

I was thinking about buying a new Slingbox to replace my HD Pro, so that I could stream full 1080p as I now have a gigabit internet connection, but after reading this stuff about ads I think I'll start looking for other solutions.

futurefile

I don't know of anything else out there. But saying everything that we have so far, the Slingbox is  still great. put it on full screen and  you will see no ads. On the phone there are no ads.  It only appears at the very beginning.  just one. When you start up the program.

brookwatson

If it were only once this wouldn't be that big of a deal. The problem is that since the ads were inserted the directory service has become extremely flaky and causes the connection to reset. Guess what happens next? You guessed it, another ad. I've had sessions where the connection dropped once every 5 minutes, so I get a commercial every 5 minutes. This is unacceptable.

I have the mobile app and it works great, but my laptop and my home computer are both Mac. They discontinued the desktop client for Mac a long time ago so I am forced to use the web client.

I remember back in the day when we didn't even have to use Sling Directory Services. I was able to access 100% of the slingbox admin settings and create my own dyndns alias and NEVER communicate with slingbox.com directly. Each version of the slingbox since v1, they have taken more and more admin controls away from the device. Now they force all sessions to be "authenticated" by their own directory service and allow access to NO ADMIN CONTROLS.

I have found several alternatives, but havent made the move yet because I had just upgraded my hardware to the latest and greatest. The one that shows the most promise is Vulkano Flow. It is fairly basic and I dont think it does true HD (Component Only), but it reminds me of the old school slingbox and gives me 100% control over all the admin settings and NO COMMERCIALS.

Sling Alternatives: 6 Slingbox Alternatives - TechShout