2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2010 8:05 AM by BettyBeMobile RSS

Sound in MacOS

BettyBeMobile

I've finally gotten SlingboxHD Pro installed - btw, none of the online help pictorials looked anything like what was showing up as I installed - and am getting video w about a 2 sec delay. I assume this is ok. I'm writing because I cannot get any sound. I've doublechecked that the sound on my MacBook Pro is up (not muted, at full volume), I've put the volume up in the web browser/viewer. I've doublechecked that my sound works by playing a video in iTunes.

Several of the Help items reference a Slingbox icon that should be in the app tray, but nothing showing. I restarted my Mac, thinking it would show if I restarted. Nothing. Still no sounds but video continues to work and remote control is fine.

I can find nothing in Help or Search that speaks to this - only ones that reference iPhone/iTouch controls or that refer to the Sling icon.

If it means anything, I'm on my home network which is running U-verse/San Antonio.

Anyone have any ideas on what I'm missing? Thx.

• Re: Sound in MacOS
          eferz Expert

BettyBeMobile wrote:

I've finally gotten SlingboxHD Pro installed - btw, none of the online help pictorials looked anything like what was showing up as I installed - and am getting video w about a 2 sec delay. I assume this is ok.

Yes, that's normal for all streaming media.  That's a buffer used to reduce glitches from dropped packets.

I'm writing because I cannot get any sound.

Sounds like you have done some pretty extensive troubleshooting. If you're using Slingplayer Desktop for Mac then I would recommend trying Web Slingplayer (or vise versa to see if you're experiencing the same problem).

I also would recommend checking this post (https://community.sling.com/message/8674#8674).  Granted the post is troubleshooting the Slingbox on a "PC" instead of a "Mac"; however, the basic troublshooting steps is the same.  You just need to interpret the PC terminology with the Mac.

• Re: Sound in MacOS
              BettyBeMobile

Thanks for your response. It's good to have a positive, friendly answer.

Glad to hear the delay is normal.

After reading your response, we decided to start over with connecting the hardware before we got deeper into software fix. Although we followed the diagram on the instructions, we found that we could get sound by connecting the cable to a different port on the STB.

So, your answer inspired us even though it didn't end up being the resolution.

We're fairly tech savvy (maybe slightly above average) but we found the install/set up lengthy and not straight forward. Not sure if the Sling folks monitor this forum but I'd be happy to give specifics on what we found confusing.

Thx again for the response.