21 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2010 4:18 PM by eferz RSS

problem with slingplayer with Nvidia 320M

dean0505

I don`t know if any of you have this problem, but when I was trying to watch streaming on slingplayer, the quality of the picture is quite poor, even though it streams at over 2m/s and it`s from a slingbox-HD. I can even see the pixil on the screen. But when I tried slingplayer with firefox, it looks smoother and better. The first picture is from desktop slingplayer. please look at the edeg of abc log, it`s different from the sencond picture which I captured from firefox slingplayer.

I know it has something to do with Nvidia drivers, and mine is Geforce 320M now. I already upgraded it to the lastest one and the problem is still there.

Does some one know how to fix this?

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Re: problem with slingplayer with Nvidia 320M
          eferz Expert

Wow, another user had a similar issue.  From this site. (http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/forum/slingbox-hardware/slingbox-pro-best-firmwareslingplayer-version/#p916).

We were playing around with the video rendering options, where he was able to see a difference in picture quality.  Switching those options changed from Graphics Device Interface (GDI), Direct Draw (WVM7), and Direct3D (WVM9), and Enhanced Video Renderer (VISTA only).

Those options only affect the Slingplayer Desktop not the Web Slingplayer.  Web Slingplayer forced Direct3D (WVM9) since there's no options available to change it.  We were able to tell that by holding down [Ctrl] and shift clicking the steaming video in the web browser.

His problem turned out to be an issue of using "Aero Basic" toggled on instead of "Windows Areo" in the Appearance Settings of the Display Control Panel.  Once he enabled that he got the picture quality that he expected from an earlier version of the Slingplayer.

dean0505

I tired but it still doesn`t work. My aero was already turned on.....And this only happens on my Mac mini running windows with nvidia 320M, not my macbook which uses 9400M...

eferz Expert

What about switching out those video renders?  They're listed under the Optimizations section of the Video tab within the Slingplayer Options.

eferz Expert

On this forum (http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/forum/slingbox-hardware/slingbox-pro-best-firmwareslingplayer-version/), we walked through several troubleshooting steps, you might want to consider checking it out.

compare.jpg

You can compare the different video renderes from the screenshot above.  Each window labels the video rendere and Slingplayer Desktop version I used.  I also uploaded the each of the non-zoomed screenshots in a zip file attached to this post if you're interested in looking at them up close.

dean0505

Could you tell me how to do that? Mine only has USE VMR9 under the optimizations setion and it' been set to default...many thanks

dean0505

And I can't make any change there because it shows this advanced setting does not apply to Windows Vista...

eferz Expert

Yeah, in the other forum post I listed how to alter that.  One sec, I'll copy it over.

eferz Expert

The Slingplayer doesn't actually control the resolution resizing .   That's handled by the operating system (directx, codec, drivers,  hardware, etc).

There is one major difference with the Slingplayer 1.5 and 2.0 in  this regards.  The original Slingplayer 1.5 and earlier used WMV codec  that's because at the time, that's the only type of encoding that the  Slingboxes could do.  However, now the Slingbox Pro, Solo, and Pro-HD  can encode video streams using H.264.  Therefore Slingplayer Desktop 2.0  and Web Slingplayer both have accessibility to the H.264 codec.  You  can actually bring up the player's encoding statistics by pressing  [Alt]+[Shift]+[I] on Slingplayer Desktop or holding [Ctrl] down while  clicking on the video within the Websling Player.

SP15.jpg

Slingplayer 1.5

sp20.jpg

Slingplayer 2.0

wsp.jpg

Web Slingplayer

If necessary, you can force the Slingplayer  Desktop to use WMV or H.264.  Those settings are in  [PlayerProperties.EncodeControl] subection within SBCore.ini of the  "C:\ProgramData\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\2.0" folder.  The value for  "StreamTypeVideo" dictates its functionality, 0=WMV, 1=H.264, and  2=Auto.  The values used in "SBCore.ini" file are dictated in  "SBCore.sdb" file in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sling  Media\SlingPlayer" folder.

The only other difference that could be  affecting you is the video renderer.  Which can be VMR-9 (Direct3D),  VMR-7 (Directshow), Graphics Device Interface (GDI), or Enhanced Video  Renderer (VISTA only).  All of these can also be forced from the  "SBCore.ini" file, using the "VideoRenderer" value under the  [RenderProperties] subsection.  But, its a lot easier using the  Slingplayer Options (Alt+O) to change the "Optimizations" within the  Video Tab.

Chancy

How come I don't see VideoRenderer under RenderProperties? I looked in C:\Program Files (x86)\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\SBCore.sdb and I don't see it.

[RenderProperties]
                          AudioMute=0
                          AudioVolume=100
                          PrechargeTime=5
                          VideoSmoothing=0
                          VideoPostProcessing=0
                          RateControl=1
                          StreamFastStart=1
                          AspectRatio=80
                          Record=0
                          RecordPath=
                          ClipPath=
                          SRSMode=0
                          SRSSpeakerSize=1
                          OutputLines=10000

eferz Expert

Are you using Slingplayer Desktop 1.5 or 2.0?  That might explain it

Chancy

Sorry, yea I'm using slingplayer 2.0 and slingbox web player using IE 8. But I use IE 8 most of the time.

eferz Expert

Interesting, now that I look back at it, it looks like your referencing an "*.ini" not a "*.sdb" file.  The sdb files retain the options for the ini files, whereas the ini sets them for the player.

For example, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\SBCore.sdb"

[VideoRender]
                                      0=Legacy (GDI)
                                      1=VMR-7 (DirectDraw)
                                      2=VMR-9 (Direct3D)
                                      3=Application
                                      4=Enhanced Video Renderer (VISTA only)

And "C:\ProgramData\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\2.0\SBCore.ini"

[RenderProperties]
                                      AudioMute=0
                                      AudioVolume=41
                                      PrechargeTime=5
                                      VideoSmoothing=1
                                      VideoPostProcessing=1
                                      RateControl=1
                                      StreamFastStart=1
                                      VideoRenderer=2
                                      AspectRatio=80
                                      Record=512
                                      RecordPath=
                                      ClipPath=
                                      SRSMode=0
                                      SRSSpeakerSize=1
                                      ClosedCaption=0
                                      OutputLines=10000

So, in this case my VideoRender is "VMR-9 (Direct3D)" as shown in the following Statistics window [Alt]+[Shift]+[i].

sp20.jpg