17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2010 5:33 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Channels changing randomly plus other weird behavior.

Cloud

I have 3 DirecTV HD boxes (2 of which are connected to Sling Player Pro's)  at location A. Neither of the Sling Players are connected to a TV. At location B, I have a Sling Catcher in 2 of the bedrooms. I am able to switch Sling boxes with the remote or over the internet.

A few days ago, I noticed the channel changing, menu appearing and other unusual activity while I was watching TV with SlingCatcher. The same thing was happening with the SlingCatcher in the other bedroom. I doubt if a human has hacked into my account. I would get logged off or notified. Resetting the Catchers did not solve anything. The television watcher at location A was not watching TV as far as I know at that time (unless the cat was stepping on the remote). I thought maybe the IR remote could have interferred with the connection because even with the wall, it would have a direct line of sight to the Sling Boxes.

What could it be?

• Re: Channels changing randomly plus other weird behavior.
            Cloud

Ghosts? If so, my ghost is hung up on the Tyra show and she puts it on autotune in both bedrooms. Happens every day now when she is on. I can't watch my recorded programs or other TV shows until Tyra finishes.

I've not gone mad, really. My husband is a Psychologist and his TV has gone berzerk too. It has to be the cat in California stepping on the remote buttons which effect our sling players in the opposite room.

Oh well, at least I got one response.

I had this same problem a while back. I actually thought someone was hacking into my account and watching my slingbox over the internet. As it turned out I had two remotes set to the same code and every once in a while my son would change channels on his DVR and it would bounce off the right wall or picture and change the channel on my DVR and thus change what I was seeing on my sling box. I ended up changing the remote codes on his remote and this ended the problem.

eferz Expert

That certainly on way of avoiding that.  Well that is if the root cause isn't something more supernatural.

I believe Alan Richey has have or has been compiling custom remote bin files for all 16 pairing address available for the DirecTV boxes.  That may in fact keep poor Tyria from being banished from your Slingbox.  Muwauhahahhaahaa.  Uh, I mean...  Booga booga.

alanrichey42 Master

Actually I had been working on Dish Network, but when I check, Sling actually support Addresses 1,2,3 & 4 so I guess that should be enough.  For DirecTV they support only Addresses 1 & 2 so I guess there might be a call for a few more.

Cloud:  If you want me to do that just let me know.

Cloud

alanrichey42 wrote:

Actually I had been working on Dish Network, but when I check, Sling actually support Addresses 1,2,3 & 4 so I guess that should be enough.  For DirecTV they support only Addresses 1 & 2 so I guess there might be a call for a few more.

Cloud:  If you want me to do that just let me know.

I may have figured out where the conflict is coming from. It happens when both my husband and I connect to our sling via sling catchers at the same time. When he presses the back button on his remote, the guide shows up on my TV. My sister did a test at the home location by pointing the remote directly at our sling boxes. Nothing weird happened as a result. Another thing that might be a problem is that when she moved the DirecTV boxes and Sling players, she might have connected them wrong. The conflicts happened after she moved box locations. Both boxes have different Sling server IP's last I checked.
                        I'm not very technical. What would the additional supported addresses accomplish and how? Yes, any assistance from you will be greatly appreciated.
                        Thank you so much.
                            alanrichey42 Master

Cloud wrote:

I may have figured out where the conflict is coming from. It happens when both my husband and I connect to our sling via sling catchers at the same time. When he presses the back button on his remote, the guide shows up on my TV. My sister did a test at the home location by pointing the remote directly at our sling boxes. Nothing weird happened as a result. Another thing that might be a problem is that when she moved the DirecTV boxes and Sling players, she might have connected them wrong. The conflicts happened after she moved box locations. Both boxes have different Sling server IP's last I checked.

OK, quite a few things here that don't make sense

1.  "..when both my husband and I connect to our sling via sling catchers at the same time."

That is impossible, a Slingbox will accept only one user at a time.  If someone else tries to connect they have to use the admin password to 'boot' the other one off.

2.  "..by pointing the remote directly at our sling boxes..."

That is pointless, the slingboxes don't receive an IR signal, it is the connected DirecTV box that receives the IR Signal.

3.  "...she moved the DirecTV boxes and Sling players..."

Be careful with terminology when reporting problems, as you can confuse people.   The hardware device is the 'Slingbox', and the software on your PC that you use to watch it is the 'SlingPlayer".    So I doubt she moved the 'Slingplayer' ?

And we need a better description of EXACTLY what you have (maybe 2 DirecTV, 2 Slingboxes and 2 SlingCatchers ?), how they are wired up together and how you have the 'real' remotes setup for the DirecTv boxes.

Looking forward to sorting this one

Cloud

alanrichey42 wrote:

Cloud wrote:

OK, quite a few things here that don't make sense

1.  "..when both my husband and I connect to our sling via sling catchers at the same time."

That is impossible, a Slingbox will accept only one user at a time.  If someone else tries to connect they have to use the admin password to 'boot' the other one off.

2.  "..by pointing the remote directly at our sling boxes..."

That is pointless, the slingboxes don't receive an IR signal, it is the connected DirecTV box that receives the IR Signal.

3.  "...she moved the DirecTV boxes and Sling players..."

Be careful with terminology when reporting problems, as you can confuse people.   The hardware device is the 'Slingbox', and the software on your PC that you use to watch it is the 'SlingPlayer".    So I doubt she moved the 'Slingplayer' ?

And we need a better description of EXACTLY what you have (maybe 2 DirecTV, 2 Slingboxes and 2 SlingCatchers ?), how they are wired up together and how you have the 'real' remotes setup for the DirecTv boxes.

Looking forward to sorting this one

Sorry, I should have made it more clear.

1.  Sister is located at the location where the DirecTV receivers and sling boxes are.

The TV she watches is not connected to a sling box. Her TV is in the adjacent room.

In the office location (no TVs), there are 2 separate DirecTV receivers and Sling boxes for my husband and I.

Our boxes have unique ID's, IP addresses, etc.

When we connect at the same time, I am connecting to my box and husband is connecting to his box.

We each have our own SlingCatchers.

2. The boxes are on top of each other. I should have said that she pointed her remote toward the tower.

3. Yes, the boxes were moved from one corner of the room to another. No problems when they were in the original location.

My correction on number 3. Sling Player is the software I use to watch my TV on my computer. Duh and slaps head.

If the IR cables were not positioned correctly, would it cause this?

alanrichey42 Master

Cloud wrote:

In the office location (no TVs), there are 2 separate DirecTV receivers and Sling boxes for my husband and I.

Not sure what you mean 'boxes have unique ID's"  Are you talking about the Slingboxes or the DirecTV receivers ?  If you are talking about the Slingboxes then what about the DirecTV receivers ?  have you set them to 2 seperate remote addresses ?

When your sister points a remote at the DirecTV boxes do they both react or do you have 2 different remotes and each remote ONLY operates the corresponding DirecTV receiver ?

As to the IR, if it was setup correctly and they had been swapped over then nothign would work as the wrong code would be being sent to each box.

I still think this is somethign to do with the Remote addresses.   I am guessing you have them on the same Remote Address but before the move they were far enough apart that the IR Blaster from Slingbox 1 did not reach DirecTV 2, and vice versa.   Now they have been moved, possibly closer together, you are getting overspill from the Blasters so the IR Signal is being received by both DirecTV boxes.

Solutions:

1.   Change one of the to use Remote Address 2 and redo the Video Sources setup to chnage the remote.

2.   Move them farther apart

Cheers

Al

eferz Expert

Don't discount the Patrick Swaze factor.

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Entertainment/images-4/patrick-swayze-demi-moore-ghost-2.jpg

Maybe he just doesn't like Tyra.

Cloud

alanrichey42 wrote:

Cloud wrote:

Not sure what you mean 'boxes have unique ID's"  Are you talking about the Slingboxes or the DirecTV receivers ?  If you are talking about the Slingboxes then what about the DirecTV receivers ?  have you set them to 2 seperate remote addresses ?

When your sister points a remote at the DirecTV boxes do they both react or do you have 2 different remotes and each remote ONLY operates the corresponding DirecTV receiver ?

As to the IR, if it was setup correctly and they had been swapped over then nothign would work as the wrong code would be being sent to each box.

I still think this is somethign to do with the Remote addresses.   I am guessing you have them on the same Remote Address but before the move they were far enough apart that the IR Blaster from Slingbox 1 did not reach DirecTV 2, and vice versa.   Now they have been moved, possibly closer together, you are getting overspill from the Blasters so the IR Signal is being received by both DirecTV boxes.

Solutions:

1.   Change one of the to use Remote Address 2 and redo the Video Sources setup to chnage the remote.

Cheers

Al

I got the ID and IP info by going to slingplayer's properties for each account. Remote connections are set to sling box ID rather than IP. How do I find out if each DirecTV receivers are set to separate remote address, from my far away location like Tibet? Do I need to go through setup to find out? If so, I'm scared unless sister has a tech over at her house to turn the power back on to the boxes or to run setup again.

When sister pointed remote at the DirecTV boxes, I was connected to my DirecTV DVR  box at the time. Nothing happened. However I did not try husband's non DVR box at the time. Do DVR and non DVR remotes have separate addresses by default?

When boxes were on the floor in a corner, the only problems we had during several months were from the IR cables being moved thus making it impossible to use the remote. I don't know how they were placed before. Yes, the Slingboxes were probably further apart as you said. Now the configuration is a sandwich of husband's DirecTV HD receiver on the bottom, the two Sling Box Pros in the middle facing each other and my DirecTV HD DVR on the top.

Thanks Al. I'm sure that following your solution #1 will solve the problem and my marriage.

Cloud

Solutions:

Cheers

Al

Chose a variation of sulution #2.

When the boxes were moved, the unused IR cables fell out of place and were interferring with the signals. My computer guy wrapped them in foil. We then checked by using sling player at each location, plus I shared my computer screen on Skype. Everything is fine now and no more dangle bits violating my box.

Thank you everyone!

I just want to clarify what was going on with my situation so that nobody is confused. MY son and I  had both had dish network DVRS using the same remote code on the same  model DVRS. His DVR was new so I had not had long to notice the problem.  The problem was that both or our remotes would control each others' DVR.  It just so happens that I also happen to have a Sling Pro HD connected  to my DVR and i would connect to it via my sling catcher when I was in  my shop. If i happen to be watching my slingcatcher in my shop (which  was in turn like watching my DVR) and he changed the channel on his DVR  it would change what I was watching too, by actually changing the  channel on both of our DVR's. Our solution was to give his remote a  diffrent code to control his dvr. That way he would not be controling my  DVR. Until I figured it out I thought I was being hacked.

Just be sure that you dont have any remote control issues with either each others DVRS, neighbors and your DVR, tewo sling cather remotes with the same code (if that is possible). Or with two different sling catchers connected to two different SlingPros using two different accounts (if that is possible).

Cloud

255909013467227 wrote:

I just want to clarify what was going on with my situation so that nobody is confused. MY son and I  had both had dish network DVRS using the same remote code on the same  model DVRS. His DVR was new so I had not had long to notice the problem.  The problem was that both or our remotes would control each others' DVR.  It just so happens that I also happen to have a Sling Pro HD connected  to my DVR and i would connect to it via my sling catcher when I was in  my shop. If i happen to be watching my slingcatcher in my shop (which  was in turn like watching my DVR) and he changed the channel on his DVR  it would change what I was watching too, by actually changing the  channel on both of our DVR's. Our solution was to give his remote a  diffrent code to control his dvr. That way he would not be controling my  DVR. Until I figured it out I thought I was being hacked.

Just be sure that you dont have any remote control issues with either each others DVRS, neighbors and your DVR, tewo sling cather remotes with the same code (if that is possible). Or with two different sling catchers connected to two different SlingPros using two different accounts (if that is possible).

Hello multiple number person,

Ah, I didn't think about the neighbors. Can the remote go that far?

How did you change remote codes?