6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2015 2:04 AM by fotojunkie RSS

Can't view HD channels using component video cables

fotojunkie
    Visibility: Open to anyone

I am getting the HDCP error message: Your TV does not support this program's content protection, but my Slingbox Pro-HD is already connected using component video cables!!  So how do I fix this?  I have not had this issue in a very long time.  I have already tried re-booting my Slingbox, and have changed the audio settings in Directv to PCN (switched Dolby Digital off), switched Native to Off, as well as checked the 480p resolution box. The channels I can view are completely random - I can watch movies in HD on some SHOWTIME HD channels - but cannot watch SD movies on Encore SD channels!! or any HBO channels including a recording in my Playlist of the latest episode of Game of Thrones!!!! I am very confused .... Please help!

• Re: Can't view HD channels using component video cables
          alanrichey42 Master

You can't.   It looks like your TV provider has done a firmware update to your box to implement HDCP, so there is no signal coming out of the component feed when you have the HDMI lead connected.    It's nothing at all to do with the Slingbox.   The normal solution is to ditch the HDMI cable and feed your TV from the component OUT of the Slingbox.

fotojunkie

Thanks Alan - sorry for being obtuse, I still dont get it.  I can view all channels and programs in HD through my Directv DVR on my big screen TV as well as on my laptop thru Directv's website.  It is only the slingbox that doesn't work.  I'm not sure I understand your normal solution: ditch the HDMI cable and feed your TV from the component OUT of the Slingbox.  I have a lot of devices connected to  my TV and really am not technical at all.  Could you explain the solution a little more, please and also what will that mean for my regular TV viewing (i.e. in HD) and also I use Slingbox around the house all the time - when I'm cooking in the kitchen, sitting in bed, out in the yard etc. not just when I am traveling.  I'm happy to try any solution that allows me to continue to watch my big screen TV at home in HD and watch all channels on Slingbox.  I'm pretty sure there are millions of Directv customers and many of them are Slingbox customers too - so how do they all manage?  Any help much appreciated!

fotojunkie

Sorry one more point of clarification - when you say HDMI lead connected - what do you mean?  Connected from what to what? Its really chaos behind my TV!!

fotojunkie

And the last question on this - I have had a slingbox 500 for a year or so and was going to install it to replace my old one but wanted to be sure it would actually work before doing so.  Based on your comments above is the support at the link below no longer true?  It refers to component video INPUT - but your reply refers to output - still confused!!

Slingbox.com - Using an HDMI video source with the Slingbox 500

Thanks Alan - sorry for being a pain - this all makes no sense to me at all.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, you first understand what is happening with HDCP.   In the good old days all the outputs on the back of your box were good, the HDMI cable output HD video and sound, the component (orange/green/blue) output HD video, the yellow composite output SD video and the red/white output sound,   But then the cable and satellite companies (including DirecTV) decided they didn't like people using third-party video recorders to make copies of the HD content.   So they invented HDCP.  

The HDMI cable has quite a few extra wires inside it so they used one of those to sense if a TV was being used to watch their HD content.  If it was then they disabled the component output so that you couldn't use an external PVR to record it.    Sling got caught up in this so that place-shifting the signal was treated in the same way,

So that is what you are seeing.  Your DirecTV PVR is sensing you have a TV attached to the end of the HDMI output (I assume that is what you are using) so it has disabled the component output that you are using to drive the Slingbox.   You basically have two options:

1.  The easiest is to simply use the Yellow/Red/White Composite outputs from your DirecTV to drive the Slingbox instead of the component cables.  The disadvantage is you will slinging an SD signal rather than an HD signal.

2.  Remove the HDMI lead from the back of your DirecTV.   Now take a new 5-wire component cable (orange/green/blue for video and red/white for audio) and connect the Component OUT of the Slingbox to the Component input on your TV (assuming you have one that isn't being used).  Because the HDMI lead is not being used then the DirecTV will send it's signal out from the component output, through the Slingbox to your TV.  So both the Slingbox and the TV will see HD.

Make sense ?