5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2015 12:29 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Fast foreward jumps using M1

ebpHwjJSnf
    Visibility: Open to anyone

When using the M1 to remotely view our DVR, is there any way to use the FF or FB on the "virtual remote" to keep it from jumping past the desired spot?  It is an ongoing source of frustration and aggravation!

• Re: Fast foreward jumps using M1
          alanrichey42 Master

Not sure what you mean.  The remote should work the same as the real one.  Can you explain more ?

ebpHwjJSnf

Hello Alan,

I hope this message reaches you.

My original message on the Support blog page was:

When using the M1 to remotely view our DVR, is there any way to use the FF

or FB on the "virtual remote" to keep it from jumping past the desired

spot?  It is an ongoing source of frustration and aggravation!

Your response was:

Not sure what you mean.  The remote should work the same as the real one.

Can you explain more ?

This is my latest reply:

When I am playing programs from my DVR, using the M1, I use the on-screen,

virtual remote (both, the pictorial and the ones at the bottom of the

screen -- eg. >>   <<    >) to fast-forward and fast-back (to skip through

commercials).  I press on the control.  There is about a 2-3 second delay

for the control to respond.  Then, when I press "play" again, it does NOT

stop at the exact spot I want.  Rather, it then jumps & skips about 5-7

seconds past that point (depending on how fast was the FF (2x or 4x).  I

then have to go back, rewind, of course, after waiting that 2-3 second

delay again and try to TIME it JUST RIGHT and actually trying to

ANTICIPATE the jump (skip) and stopping it 5-7 second BEFORE the point

where I want.  &  Of course, when I don't get it just right,

more frustration and aggravation sets in!  To ADD to all that, after the

controls finally respond, they DISAPPEAR from the screen due (way too soon)

due to "inactivity," and I have tap at least, TWICE more (if not more

times, if the **** thing didn't respond the first two times) just to get

get the controls to appear again and then tap it at least, ONCE MORE to

do what I want, only to have the above scenario repeated

again!!!..........HUUUUUUUCHCHH!!!*    Get my ordeal now?

In short, fast-forewarning through commercials is a MAJOR HASTLE!!!  I

don't know........Maybe, that's intentional.

There seems to be yet another issue…….with the Support blog.  I registered

for an account.  I logged in and wrote about my issue.  You responded.

Then…..maybe I clicked on something by acident (I think it said “Action”).

I tried replying to your response.  But it said that there was some kind of

“error” and that I should contact the system administrator.  Well, there is

no link to contact any “system administrator.”  I tried logging out and

logging back in.  But then, I saw that your reply had DISAPPEARED! 

So, I went looking for your personal page.  Then, after I found it, I

looked at the responses you made and tried to reply to the one to mine.

Again, the system didn’t let me.  So, this is my LAST resort, emailing you

directly like this.  Something is screwed up with the support page.

So, I am now in state of incredible, utter frustration and aggravation!

Please try to help me as much as you possibly can!

Much appreciated!!

- Pmfried

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 9:43 AM, alanrichey42 <answers@slingmedia.com>

alanrichey42 Master

Your reply appeared on the forum OK, so you must have done something right.   Now I see what you mean about the 2-3 second delay when operating the virtual remote.   There is nothing you can do about that, it is the laws of physics that say it takes a finite time for everything to happen when you tap on the remote.  Afraid you will have to learn to live with it, as we have all had to do

ebpHwjJSnf

I am guessing you are half-joking.  Right?

Ok.  So, I can't do anything about the delay.  But what about when it jumps

& skips every time I use the FF or FB?

Btw, when I use my REAL remote with my real tv, there is practically NO

delay and NO skips.  Why does it happen with this device?   Does it have

anything to do with the signal?  &  Shouldn't the makers/developers improve

the virtual remote so that the response time is quicker and that there is

no "scene jump" or skip?

- PMF

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 5:44 PM, alanrichey42 <answers@slingmedia.com>

alanrichey42 Master

No, deadly serious.   When you use the real remote it sends the correct IR burst immediately and you see an immediate reaction.   When you use the virtual remote on the Sling player it first has to send a programmed code across the wifi (or even worse the internet, which van take quite some time) to the Slingbox.  The Slingbox receives the code, then has to work out which button you pressed, then it has to build up the correct IR signal and then transmit it.   Lots more work to do and this must take a finite time.  As I said, laws of physics.