9 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2015 12:28 PM by ACC5695720 RSS

Purchase an ad-free plugin for Desktop?

Kamakzie Newbie

I would really not like to have to pay for a desktop player but if I had to pay a little bit to get an ad free experience again I would. Is there any plans to offer an ad free desktop plug-in? These ads are drive me nuts. I paid good money for this thing I don't deserve to be inundated with advertisements.

• Re: Purchase an ad-free plugin for Desktop?
          Me262 Newbie

How about you just return the thing. They deserve no cent for this travesty that are ads. When we bought this there was nothing mentioning we would be inundated with ads. I'm checking out the competition. Slingbox can go bankrupt for all I care. They had a great product, then they did this

Kamakzie Newbie

Bought it over a year and a half ago..

ACC5695720

Run No Script; absolutely NO ADS!

AndyStubbs

I don't see how they can justify the ads - we have all expressed our hatred for them, none of us will be clicking on the ads so what exactly are they going to earn from it? It makes no sense!

ACC5695720

IMHO, they probably thought we would accept it as we do on YouTube,

which is not cluttered with ads and pre-roll ads, as well.  But, for the

moment, YouTube is mostly FREE.  We all PAID a big chunk for the box and

the APP, which must be separately purchased for each non-connected

device (the apps come at no charge with WD and Amazon Fire).  The

problem is the Sling has no way to monetize their product after initial

purchases, and that is a legitimate concern for them.  I would accept a

pre-roll ad if I could SKIP it like on YouTube.  An alternative is to

charge for the use of a Sling account.  They could follow LastPass's

model: they charge $1 per month paid annually for the LastPass Mobile

app.  I would be comfortable with such a reasonable charge /per

account/.  Sling is still the best at what it does and I still use it to

great enjoyment.  I don't want to see it die because Sling could not

monetize it with revenue to keep up the servers etc.

Me262 Newbie

Hi, how do you run the client with no scripts?

ACC5695720

I should make clear that if you are using the M1, then the browser based

NoScript won't help you because the M1 uses the new SlingPlayer for

desktop.  However, if you are using the 500, 350 or other Slingbox that

use the Watch at Slingbox.com browser extension, then NoScript can work.

Please research NoScript at NoScript.net. and at TwitTV Security Now

with Steve Gibson who gives an explanation of NoScript and recommends it

for use at ALL time when using a browser.  NoScript is a White Listing

program that allows you to pick and choose which script to run.  In the

case of Slingbox, it is usually sufficient to allow Sling.com ONLY.  The

other scripts won't runNoScript works the same on any webpageand

prevents scripts that run ads, track you, or other wise access personal

information when visiting any webpage.  You also have the options to run

a script TEMPORARILY and then REVOKE that permission if you wish. Or you

can even  do one click to allow ALL the scripts to run, if you wish.  It

takes getting used to, but after awhile, it is pretty easy.  Bset of luck.

>

Purchase an ad-free plugin for Desktop?

reply from Me262

<https://community.slingbox.com/people/Me262?et=watches.email.thread>

in /Slingplayer for Desktop/ - View the full discussion

<https://community.slingbox.com/message/121857?et=watches.email.thread#121857>

>