1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 17, 2015 3:00 PM by Samantha.Sling RSS

Screen turns on then goes black

GoChargers
    Visibility: Open to anyone

Hey Slingbox'ers!

My Mom has just installed my Slingbox I received a year ago for my birthday back home in San Diego. I have used it for years prior on my friends so I am familiar.

But I have had this problem since she successfully connected our Slingbox in at home last week. I think it may be a compatibility, as I have a 16-bit Dell and use Internet Explorer. But then again, the screen works just fine before 5 seconds when it looks like a screen has been put down in front of me, forcing me not to be able to watch TV, but still hear the sound.

Can anybody help me diagnose this problem?

With that phone support being $29.95, this is where we need to help each other out! With the addition of Slingbox support staff as well!

Pete

• Re: Screen turns on then goes black
          evan.sling Novice

Hi GoChargers!

First, let's get a picture of how your cabling situation is.  Which cables are connecting your cable box, Slingbox, and TV?  I suspect it's the issue described in this article:

Slingbox.com - Using an HDMI video source with the Slingbox 500

Let us know if this article helps, and if it doesn't, let us know how your cables are hooked up.

Hope this helps!

-Evan

• Re: Screen turns on then goes black
            Samantha.Sling Apprentice

Hello Pete!

From the sounds of it, it almost sounds like you're dealing with SOC, which is Selectable Output Control. This would only happen if there was an HDMI cable plugged in running out of your cable box, not necessarily to the Slingbox but in general. Do you happen to have one of these installed? It's also possible that the new set top box the Slingbox is connected to is running 1080p in 60 frames per second. If this is the case, you would need to have the cable box settings changed to 1080i or 1080p with 30 frames per second.

Please let me know if this helps!

--Samantha